New CBS TV Series Making Nuclear War Thinkable And Great Fun For Everyone

Old September 22nd 06, 01:39 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,alt.anarchism,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default New CBS TV Series Making Nuclear War Thinkable And Great Fun For Everyone

ravenlynne wrote:

What an awesome god! Cthulhu ain't got nuthin' on Jehovah.

..

Actually his name is YHWH (typically pronounced Yahweh). Jehovah is
the result of a bad translation in the 1800s.

..

Old September 22nd 06, 02:05 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,alt.anarchism,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

What this show most sounds like is the science fiction sub-genre
wherein a town is cut off from civilization. Examples of this are the
creepy "It's A Good Life" by Jerome Bixby, "Island In The Sea Of Time"
and its sequels by S. M. Stirling, or "1632" and sequels by Eric Flint
(and friends.) The Bixby story was made into a memorable Twilight Zone
episode.

You forgot"Alas Bab.", and "On the Beach"

Carl

Old September 22nd 06, 02:56 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,alt.anarchism,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
El Puerco

"Harold Groot" wrote in message
So I suspect they are playing fast and loose with real science and are
going to have a group of people marooned in unexplained fashion,
subjected to various inernal and external stresses - just like on
LOST.

Just so long as they don't end up being toys at the bottom of a charity bin.

Old September 22nd 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Sean O'Hara

In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Joe Bednorz declared:

Isn't there a classic SF story along the line of the TV show? A small
town has to adjust to less outside support. The library becomes the
center of learning to be more self-sufficient. I seem to recall it
being done on TV (in the 1960s???) but they changed the ending to
apathetic despair instead of "Well, we'll get on as best we can."

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. The book ended with the Army showing up
to start the rebuilding process, with a rather ironic last line in
which a soldier informs the survivors that the US kicked Ruskie ass.

There was also a cool AIP cheapie from the same period, in which Ray
Milland and his family were headed into the mountains for a vacation
when L.A. got nuked. They roll into a town that didn't see the blast
and buy up a couple hundred dollars in groceries, then head to the
hardware store. But when the hardware owner won't sell him a gun
because of a two-day waiting period, Milland takes what he wants by
force and heads up to the vacation spot to wait out the war until
law 'n' order is restored -- never acknowledging that he himself is
part of the problem.

--
Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
Doctor: Bad laws were made to be broken.
Old September 22nd 06, 03:19 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,alt.anarchism,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

wrote:
Earlier bomb shows were generally a bust. Remember the day after. So
sad it was cut dramatically in length and still was a ratings bust.

It's stunning how misinformed people allow themselves to be:

"Nearly 100 million Americans watched The Day After on its first
broadcast, a record audience for a made-for-TV movie."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After

The figure of 100 million is probably a quote from:

Twardy, Chuck, "'Day After' Scores High in TV Ratings," Lawrence
Journal-World, November 21, 1983

From another source:

"The Day After was broadcast on November 20, 1983 to an audience of 100
million viewers with the second-highest Nielsen rating ever for a TV
movie, outpaced only by Gone With the Wind."

http://www.ruminator.com/?p=22

Old September 22nd 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,alt.anarchism,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

(1) Whether 2 cities or 200, you wouldn't find the airways dead. Ham
radio people with their own batteries/generators ought to be all over
the bands. Foreign broadcast stations as well, and Satellite TV and
Radio. Yet the bands were reported as clear.
So I suspect they are playing fast and loose with real science and are
going to have a group of people marooned in unexplained fashion,
subjected to various inernal and external stresses - just like on
LOST. When something is successful there are immitators very quickly,
and I suspect this will be seen as one of them.

EMP electro magnetic pulse will wipe out nearly all solid state
electronic devices and fry the power grid too.

terrorists who hate the US could decimate our economy by detonating
just 2 EMP pulse weapons over the central US.....

most Hams today use all soid state nice lightweight, low power
consumption. little tube stuff is still around....

the easiest way to detonate some nuclear bombs in the US is export them
from another country in a cargo carrier equipped with GPS.

ship to 110 main street when it arrives it automatically detonates...

if terrorists were serious they would of already crippled our economy
by wiping out air travel.

SAM shoulder held surface to air missle a few planes at the same time
date and nearly no one would ever fly again. the economy would tank.

Old September 22nd 06, 03:32 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,alt.anarchism,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Jason Maxwell

"Joe Bednorz" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 03:13:52 GMT, Scott Golden wrote:

http://letterfromhere.blogspot.com/2...thinkable.html
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Making nuclear war thinkable

What's wrong with this picture? To begin with, if it weren't a
Hollywood special effects shot, the guy would probably be blind from
looking right at the exploding nuke -- he clearly didn't duck and
cover.

Let's assume that the blast occured in Denver, as speculated. The Kansas
border is 140 miles away, and no one said that Jericho is right on the
border (I think we can safely assume that it is in western Kansas but
that's all). Someone watching the detonation from that far away will
"probably be blind" as a result? Don't think so.

Not too mention any large energy release will result in a mushroom
cloud. Didn't Heinlein cover this in TMiaHM? The Loonies were accused
of using nukes because of the mushroom clouds resulting from their
strikes on Earth. Manny finally points out that all they made were "big
sparks," which naturally result in mushroom clouds (if they occur on the
surface, in an atmosphere, etc.)

Having just finished a re-read, yes, that's exactly how the book went.
"Strike anything hard enough and you'll get a mushroom cloud but radiation?
Unlikely" and then he goes on to theorize that you might be able to get
X-rays but not gamma radiation.

Jason

Old September 22nd 06, 04:15 PM posted to alt.society.liberalism,alt.anarchism,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
zzpat

Frank Glover wrote:

The leaders of Iran and North Korea are my biggest concerns on this
issue...and I doubt that anything CBS airs or doesn't air will alter
their views either way.

I seriously doubt Iran or N. Korea wanted nukes before Bush's holy war
("axis of evil"). In fact they had UN inspector and signed treaties
against nukes. Bush screwed it up, not Iran, Iraq, or North Korea.

--
Pat
Impeach Bush

Articles of Impeachment
Center for Constitutional Rights
http://zzpat.bravehost.com/april_200...peachment.html
Old September 22nd 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.policy
Midnighter

"Sean O'Hara" wrote in message
[...]

that gem was Panic in Year Zero... iirc, and yes, the main character was an
asshole. Totally part of the problem.