Save Dunsink Observatory

Old December 7th 04, 09:42 PM
Albert White

Default Save Dunsink Observatory

Hi,

I just recieved this from Terry Mosley regarding the possible closure of
Dunsink Observatory in Dublin. For those of you reading this from
Ireland or interested in keeping the observatory functioning please take
the time to read and send email as necessary.

Cheers,
~Al
--
www.irishastronomy.org

--

Hi all,

I received the following from Prof Brian McBreen, who has asked me to
pass it on to as many colleagues as possible. Please indicate your
support by replying, by email if possible, to Brian McBreen
brian.mcbreen at ucd.ie , giving your 'electronic signature' of
support. If (and only if) Brian's mailbox fills up & you get a 'bounce',
you could also send a copy to redfern at physics.nuigalway.ie or
mike.redfern at nuigalway.ie or anthony.murphy at MAY.IE or paulc
at ucc.ie - but only send one copy!

(Apologies if you get two copies of this - there is some overlap in my
various 'address books')

If you can't reply to Brian McBreen within the deadline (Thursday 9
Dec), please send a copy of the letter directly to the Minister asap.

Thanks,

Terry Moseley

"Dear Colleagues,

Please find enclosed a copy of a letter to the Minister for Education
and Science concerning serious developments regarding the future of
Dunsink Observatory. We ask all of you to send an email back (with your
name and affiliation or address) indicating your willingness to sign
this letter. We consider important that a large number of people signs
for support. Feel free to forward this mail to other collegues that
might be interested to sign.

Please note that already four people from different Universities
signed by way of endorsement. Please let us have your reply as soon as
possible, e.g. by return mail, preferably by Thursday (9 December). The
letter will go on Friday (10 December).

Quote:
To Ms Mary Hanafin TD
Minister for Education and Science
Department of Education
Marlborough Street
Dublin 1

Dear Minister,

We would like to express our disappointment and alarm at the recent
decision made by the Board of the School of Cosmic Physics of the Dublin
Institute of Advanced Studies to discontinue research at Dunsink
Observatory, and remove its staff to Dublin city.
Whilst we recognise that any such decision - to essentially close the
Observatory - is fundamentally one to be made by the Institute, such a
move has very serious implications for astronomy in Ireland, from both a
research and outreach/educational point of view. We outline these below.

The Observatory in Dunsink is the oldest scientific institution in
Ireland and is still, after more than 200 years, in full working order.
From a historical viewpoint alone, the Observatory is an outstanding
example of Irelands technological heritage, containing as it does many
instruments of significant importance in the technological development
of astronomy. The Observatory fulfills the role of National Observatory,
having for example provided the time service for Dublin up to 1939
(which is even mentioned in Joyce's Ulysses).
Dunsink's long tradition of interaction with the public (Open Nights,
group visits, provision of lighting-up times for legal purposes etc)
makes it the natural reference point for the general public on
astronomical issues, as is attested by the numerous daily enquiries.
In the past, the Observatory has made significant contributions to
various important astronomical issues, ranging from Asteroids to
Cosmology. Recently, it has been involved with the construction of the
Optical Monitoring Camera currenly flying on ESA's INTEGRAL satellite,
and is also involved with a unique (ground-based) monitoring telescope:
both of these put Dunsink at the forefront of astronomical
development in Ireland, and open the door to studies of, for example,
"gamma-ray bursters" arguably the most enigmatic, and certainly the most
luminous, objects in the Universe. This continues a tradition of work in
this field in Dunsink (by previous researchers) that stretches back to
the mid-1970s. Additionally, the Observatory plans to coordinate a
prestigious (250-300 delegate) meeting in Dublin next year under the
auspices of the International Astronomical Union.
Dunsink has been synonymous with Irish astronomy for the last 200 years,
and we believe that aborting its research now sends the wrong message to
the Irish public and the international community about the current state
of Irish astronomy. There has never been a time when astronomy in
Ireland has been more vibrant, and contributing more to Irish society -
witness, for example, the proliferation of astronomy related degrees in
almost every Irish university over the last few years.
Indeed, Dunsink itself is contributing significantly to the astronomy
degree currently being offered by Dublin City University.
Next year we celebrate the bicentenary of arguably one of Ireland's
greatest scientists, Sir William Rowan Hamilton, who was director of the
Observatory from 1827 to 1865. Dunsink would be the natural focus for
this celebration and terminating its current successful functioning at
this juncture would be particularly unfortunate.
Since its foundation in 1940, the (publically funded) Dublin Institute
for Advanced Studies has always provided vital support to Irish
astronomy, especially in those times when such support was otherwise
non-existent.
We ask you as Minister to call upon the Institute to consider very
carefully the implications of this decision to close Dunsink, for the
future of Irish astronomy. Closure in the short term leaves the
Observatory very much at direct physical risk, as recent developments in
Dunsink Lane have clearly demonstrated. In the longer term, Irish
astronomy would be well served by expansion of both the outreach and
research functions of the Observatory, modelled for example on the great
success of Armagh Observatory and Planetarium.
In any case, we strongly believe that, until definite plans have been
made and implemented, any premature withdrawal of manpower from the
Observatory could well prove disastrous. The Irish astronomical
community, both professional and amateur, appeals to you to use your
offices to secure the future of the unique and hugely popular
institution that is Dunsink Observatory.

Sincerely Yours

This letter has been signed electronically by the following:

Name Affiliation/Address

Dr Paul Callanan University College Cork
Prof Brian Mc Breen University College Dublin
Prof Anthony Murphy NUI Maynooth
Prof Mike Redfern NUI Galway