ASTRO: Sharpless 2-224 (supernova-remnant in Auriga)

Old February 27th 11, 07:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: Sharpless 2-224 (supernova-remnant in Auriga)

We had a lot of cloudless nights recently, but all of these nights had dusty
skies, some of them were also quite windy. That means that I have a lot of
less-than-perfect data now.

I imaged Sharpless 2-224 on February 8. I have an old version at
http://www.slilge.de/New/Sharpless_2...ess_2-224.html but there was
room for improvement ;-)

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a Skywatcher Maksutov-Newton 190/1000
on a G11 mount, Atik 383 camera, 8x20 minutes Halpha, 3x5 minutes each for G
and B, combined to a Ha:Ha:G:B (all data binned 2x2).

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp5/Sh2-224colourgut.jpg

Inverted version of Halpha:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp5/Sh2-224negativ.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sh2-224colourgut.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	586.0 KB
ID:	3386  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sh2-224negativ.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	3387
Old February 28th 11, 07:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 2/27/2011 1:42 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
We had a lot of cloudless nights recently, but all of these nights had dusty
skies, some of them were also quite windy. That means that I have a lot of
less-than-perfect data now.

I imaged Sharpless 2-224 on February 8. I have an old version at
http://www.slilge.de/New/Sharpless_2...ess_2-224.html but there was
room for improvement ;-)

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a Skywatcher Maksutov-Newton 190/1000
on a G11 mount, Atik 383 camera, 8x20 minutes Halpha, 3x5 minutes each for G
and B, combined to a Ha:Ha:G:B (all data binned 2x2).

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp5/Sh2-224colourgut.jpg

Inverted version of Halpha:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp5/Sh2-224negativ.jpg

Stefan

Negative version shows it quite well. Amazing imaging from your
location. I'd have not expected even that narrow band image being
possible from your rooftop. Now for 2-223 next door? Might be a bit
large for that scope however.

This has been by far the worst winter for imaging I've had since
building the observatory. I've had a couple of clear nights -- with 5"
seeing making it worthless. I need a wide field system where resolution
isn't the limiting factor. But mostly I've had sucker holes. I've got
about 20 partials on the hard drive. Two L, for this one; red and green
for another, only need blue for yet another after 4 nights working on
it, etc. I only need 1:40 for a typical image but can't get it. About
half of those are now too far west for good seeing as all are rather low
so my window is narrow.

Fortunately I have a huge backlog to process. In fact I was hoping not
to be lapped but it's not looking so good. It is now March and I still
have a half dozen March images to process. Most toward the end of the
month so hope I can get them before their dates roll around. Maybe it
is good this winter is so bad. I was really falling behind yet am
turning them out at about 3 a week right now. That is letting other
projects (many honey do that could bring consequences if I let them go
too long) lag. I needed leap year this year.

Rick

Old February 28th 11, 09:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

nr. 223 would be a good target for my Skywatcher ED80 plus reducer :-)
I'll keep it in mind for next year.

Stefan

ster.com...