The Moon with a bit of Earthshine 25/02/04

Old February 26th 04, 10:53 PM
Pete Lawrence

Default The Moon with a bit of Earthshine 25/02/04

Two views of last night's Moon...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.lawre...Earthshine.jpg

--
Pete Lawrence
http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old February 27th 04, 03:13 AM
CLT

Hi Pete,

Do you ever take a bad photo? Nice shots.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/
Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

Old February 27th 04, 07:59 AM
Norbert

Pete Lawrence nous a écrit :

Two views of last night's Moon...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.lawre...Earthshine.jpg

Interesting. That's the first time that I see the Earthshine with such an
"old" Moon.
Whatever, fine picture

--
Norbert. (no X for the answer)
======================================

Old February 27th 04, 08:14 AM
Jim

"CLT" not@thisaddress wrote:

Hi Pete,

Do you ever take a bad photo?

look around to make sure Pete isn't overhearing I think he cheats. I
think he *does* take bad pictures but..and this is the cunning bit..he
_never shows them to us_!

That's just not fair :-)

Jim
--
AIM/iSight:JCAndrew2 - Log in and say 'hi'
"We deal in the moral equivalent of black holes, where the normal
Old February 27th 04, 08:32 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Jim wrote:
look around to make sure Pete isn't overhearing I think he cheats. I
think he *does* take bad pictures but..and this is the cunning bit..he
_never shows them to us_!

One of the great astrophotographers (I think it was Jack Newton) said
that, for every good photo he took, he threw literally hundreds away.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old February 27th 04, 09:14 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:13:48 -0800, "CLT" not@thisaddress wrote:

Hi Pete,

Do you ever take a bad photo? Nice shots.

Oh yesss.

I decided to mask the 'burn' on the 20s image. It didn't add much to
the overall image and rather upset the composition of the pair.

Another reason was the hair that crept into my optical path somewhere,
appeared in the burn area and stood out like a sore thumb ;-)

Old February 27th 04, 09:17 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:59:07 +0100, "Norbert"
wrote:

Pete Lawrence nous a écrit :

Two views of last night's Moon...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.lawre...Earthshine.jpg

Interesting. That's the first time that I see the Earthshine with such an
"old" Moon.

Yes I know - I thought that too. I've tried to capture Earthshine on
an older Moon before but have failed miserably. I don't know the
reason why it was so bright on the 25th. Stephen Tonkin mentions
observing features on the Earth-lit side on that night with his 20x100
bins (See the thread "The night of 25/26 Feb.").
Old February 27th 04, 10:41 PM
Fleetie

"Pete Lawrence" wrote
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.lawre...Earthshine.jpg

Are those colour images? On the 20s image, I detect a bluish
hue to the Earthshine on the "dark" part, which perhaps is
to be expected given the colour of out planet. Curious to know
if that blue colour I'm seeing is "real" or some artifact.

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K. http://www.fleetie.demon.co.uk

Old February 28th 04, 02:34 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:41:44 -0000, "Fleetie"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.lawre...Earthshine.jpg

Are those colour images? On the 20s image, I detect a bluish
hue to the Earthshine on the "dark" part, which perhaps is
to be expected given the colour of out planet. Curious to know
if that blue colour I'm seeing is "real" or some artifact.

The images are colour images (i.e. they were taken as colour images
and not converted to monochrome). Apart from masking the burn and
resampling to make them a more reasonable size for viewing, they are
as nature gave them.

Old February 28th 04, 06:34 AM
Tim Auton

"Fleetie" wrote:
"Pete Lawrence" wrote
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.lawre...Earthshine.jpg

Are those colour images? On the 20s image, I detect a bluish
hue to the Earthshine on the "dark" part, which perhaps is
to be expected given the colour of out planet. Curious to know
if that blue colour I'm seeing is "real" or some artifact.

That raises an interesting question[1]: Are changes in the colour and
intensity of earthshine as different parts of the earth (land/ocean)
are doing most of the "shining"[2] detectable?

Tim

[1] Interesting to me, anyway
[2] Mainly reflection of the sun of course, but might we detect
man-made light - or at least how large a contribution might it have? I
suspect undetectably tiny.
--
Love is a travelator.

Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
Space Calendar - June 25, 2004 Ron Misc 0 June 25th 04 04:37 PM
Space Calendar - May 28, 2004 Ron Astronomy Misc 0 May 28th 04 04:03 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer Misc 4 April 15th 04 04:45 AM