How to spend a day at KSC?

Old October 4th 05, 10:45 AM
Evil Roy

I'm from Australia, so apologies if I'm a little out of touch. Yep, we
had to pay to see the rocket garden, though I thought that it had always
been part of the whole visitors centre. It was the first time I'd ever
been there.

I thought it was well worth the money, and the exchange rate is shocking
(I still remember when US$1=AUS$1.12).

Don't forget that they'll give a military discount, though I think you
have to go down to the AFB south of the Cape (Patrick AFB?) to get it.
I didn't bother.

Old October 4th 05, 01:50 PM
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Considering that the rockets in the rocket garden were paid for with
taxpayer dollars (and a hell of a lot of them at that) that really sucks.

Where've you been? KSC's visitor's center was turned into "Spaceport
Disney" many years ago. For us taxpayers who would like to see the
artifacts, it stinks. But for the vast majority of Americans, they don't
have to use their tax dollars preserving space junk that they don't care
about. The Saturn V at KSC got it's building due to this deal, so it isn't
all bad. At least it's not rotting away outside anymore.

Jeff

Old October 4th 05, 01:55 PM
William C. Keel

Pat Flannery wrote:

OM wrote:

...Speaking of Saturn restorations, has anyone heard anything on the
progress of the JSC one? The e-mail address I had for the guy in
charge no longer works(*), and the last time I was at JSC a few weeks
ago, *nobody* had a clue and were curious themselves.

Oh-oh...sounds like the the contributors might have gotten "their
peckers cut off with a razor blade that was so sharp that they didn't
even feel it." as LBJ would put it. :-)

And on the third one, the just-partially-flightware Saturn V in
Huntsville - I just got my "Save the Saturn" license plate, tangible
confirmation that they exceeded their required $50K subscriptions
by the end of last January. None too soon, either, even after they
prettied up the paint job for the 1999 festivities. I heard from
a friend lately who wondered whether Saturns normally had those
random metal plates bolted in odd locations.

Bill Keel
Old October 4th 05, 02:57 PM
Ed Kyle

William C. Keel wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

OM wrote:

...Speaking of Saturn restorations, has anyone heard anything on the
progress of the JSC one? The e-mail address I had for the guy in
charge no longer works(*), and the last time I was at JSC a few weeks
ago, *nobody* had a clue and were curious themselves.

Oh-oh...sounds like the the contributors might have gotten "their
peckers cut off with a razor blade that was so sharp that they didn't
even feel it." as LBJ would put it. :-)

And on the third one, the just-partially-flightware Saturn V in
Huntsville - I just got my "Save the Saturn" license plate, tangible
confirmation that they exceeded their required $50K subscriptions
by the end of last January. None too soon, either, even after they
prettied up the paint job for the 1999 festivities. I heard from
a friend lately who wondered whether Saturns normally had those
random metal plates bolted in odd locations.

I just saw the Huntsville Saturn V. It is still at
the Rocket Center, partially hidden by scaffolding and
tarp, with its engines, fins, and fairings removed.
Workers appeared to have finished up work on the S-IVB
stage. The S-II stage was stripped of paint. Work
was underway on the S-IC stage.

One work is complete, the plan is to raise funds to
move the Saturn V into a temporary structure near
the hotel east of the Rocket Center.

- Ed Kyle

Old October 4th 05, 05:01 PM
Ed Kyle

Ed Kyle wrote:

I just saw the Huntsville Saturn V. It is still at
the Rocket Center, partially hidden by scaffolding and
tarp, with its engines, fins, and fairings removed.
Workers appeared to have finished up work on the S-IVB
stage. The S-II stage was stripped of paint. Work
was underway on the S-IC stage.

One work is complete, the plan is to raise funds to
move the Saturn V into a temporary structure near
the hotel east of the Rocket Center.

Here are some snaps from my late September visit
to the Huntsville Saturn V, showing restoration
work in progress.

"http://www.geocities.com/launchreport/hsatv1.jpg"
"http://www.geocities.com/launchreport/hsatv2.jpg"
"http://www.geocities.com/launchreport/hsatv3.jpg"
"http://www.geocities.com/launchreport/hsatv4.jpg"
"http://www.geocities.com/launchreport/hsatv5.jpg"

- Ed Kyle

Old October 4th 05, 05:16 PM
adam bootle

Be sure to walk over to the Debus Conference Building on the left of the
Rocket Garden. Lots of cool artifacts in the (Early space exploration"
section which quite a few people miss due to them thinking its "just" the
conference area.

Adam

Old October 4th 05, 10:45 PM
Darren J Longhorn

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 01:31:10 -0500, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

...Speaking of Saturn restorations, has anyone heard anything on the
progress of the JSC one? The e-mail address I had for the guy in
charge no longer works(*), and the last time I was at JSC a few weeks
ago, *nobody* had a clue and were curious themselves.

(*) Not that it matters. The guy was a total jerk, and after the first
curt reply to my query on status - "well make an announcement when
we're ready." - he refused to respond to *any* queries.

Was it a guy called Steve Gerber? He emailed the scaleroc yahoo group
recently saying he was involved in the restorations of both the JSC
and Huntsville Saturns.

Old October 4th 05, 10:58 PM
OM

wrote:

...Speaking of Saturn restorations, has anyone heard anything on the
progress of the JSC one? The e-mail address I had for the guy in
charge no longer works(*), and the last time I was at JSC a few weeks
ago, *nobody* had a clue and were curious themselves.

(*) Not that it matters. The guy was a total jerk, and after the first
curt reply to my query on status - "well make an announcement when
we're ready." - he refused to respond to *any* queries.

Was it a guy called Steve Gerber? He emailed the scaleroc yahoo group
recently saying he was involved in the restorations of both the JSC
and Huntsville Saturns.

....Nope, that's not the same guy. Alan Needell forwarded an e-mail
query I'd sent him back when the restoration enclosure was being
assembled to this particular jerk, and it was a James
something-or-other who was supposedly the head guy in charge of the
project. What I suspect is that a) he was probably some construction
g00ber with no clue about how his e-mail worked to begin with, and b)
he was just a blue-collar union goon with no understanding of public
relations.

Either way, I just e-mailed Alan requesting a status update, so we'll
see...

OM

--

"Try Andre Dead Duck Canadian Champagne! | http://www.io.com/~o_m
Rated the lamest of the cheapest deported | Sergeant-At-Arms
Old October 4th 05, 11:03 PM
Darren J Longhorn

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:58:44 -0500, OM

wrote:

[...]

Drop me a line and I'll send you Steve Gerber's email address.