Ponder this

Old December 16th 17, 06:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
BogeyOne

Default Ponder this

Your doctor says that you only have about 6 years left to live. If
you had a chance to go to Mars and it was certain that you would
return safely to Earth, would you be willing to give up 3 or so years
of time on this planet for the experience?
Old December 16th 17, 07:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill[_9_]

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:16:18 -0800, BogeyOne wrote:

Your doctor says that you only have about 6 years left to live. If
you had a chance to go to Mars and it was certain that you would
return safely to Earth, would you be willing to give up 3 or so years
of time on this planet for the experience?

I would forego such a trip. I'd want to maximize my time with my souse,
family, and friends.
--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Old December 16th 17, 07:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 6:16:23 PM UTC, BogeyOne wrote:
Your doctor says that you only have about 6 years left to live. If
you had a chance to go to Mars and it was certain that you would
return safely to Earth, would you be willing to give up 3 or so years
of time on this planet for the experience?

You are on a self-sustaining spaceship called Earth with motions that not only make life possible but are suited to human reasoning. People know a lot about nothing and can't enjoy how we see the rest of the Universe at a solar system or galactic level. There is some cult adherence to a belief that mathematicians have some insight denied the wider population but many years of experience in this forum should expose a small-minded and sour bunch who have done everything possible to downplay our planet , its surface surroundings and its place in the solar system.

As one author wrote - you wake up in a new place of the Universe each day and that is what should thrill you along with a life supporting planet, its traits and it loveliness.
Old December 17th 17, 10:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Saturday, 16 December 2017 19:16:23 UTC+1, BogeyOne wrote:
Your doctor says that you only have about 6 years left to live. If
you had a chance to go to Mars and it was certain that you would
return safely to Earth, would you be willing to give up 3 or so years
of time on this planet for the experience?

If we group funded 1461's fare he could go as the token astrologer.
Just to appease Herr Von Strumpet's deep interest in REAL science.
He claims he has a Masters in nuclear "wotsits and thingamajigs."

Old December 18th 17, 01:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 12:42:31 PM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

As one author wrote - you wake up in a new place of the Universe each day

Yes, that may be true, but one is still on the Earth, and surrounded by the same
environment, even if the coordinates of one's location have changed.

Now, the Earth is a good place to be, other places being less well suited to human
life. But landing a man on the Moon allowed us to study the Moon more closely, and
the same would be true of Mars.

John Savard
Old December 19th 17, 06:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Saturday, 16 December 2017 13:16:23 UTC-5, BogeyOne wrote:
Your doctor says that you only have about 6 years left to live. If
you had a chance to go to Mars and it was certain that you would
return safely to Earth, would you be willing to give up 3 or so years
of time on this planet for the experience?

Who cares if you get to return? It's like people who refuse to donate organs on religious grounds, it's all B.S. The idea you have to go back to Earth just to die. More like you'd be forced to return to Earth if they had no way to actually colonize the planet. But, if they had the ability to stay, and you had some kind of scientific training, like in geology, you could actually do good work in your last three years by staying.
Old December 19th 17, 07:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Tuesday, 19 December 2017 07:25:43 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 16 December 2017 13:16:23 UTC-5, BogeyOne wrote:
Your doctor says that you only have about 6 years left to live. If
you had a chance to go to Mars and it was certain that you would
return safely to Earth, would you be willing to give up 3 or so years
of time on this planet for the experience?

Who cares if you get to return? It's like people who refuse to donate organs on religious grounds, it's all B.S. The idea you have to go back to Earth just to die. More like you'd be forced to return to Earth if they had no way to actually colonize the planet. But, if they had the ability to stay, and you had some kind of scientific training, like in geology, you could actually do good work in your last three years by staying.

Good point! We are conditioned to call Earth "home."
Most wild birds and animals have no real home.
Nomads and travelers have no real geographical home.
Commuters could easily be considered migrants of sorts.
300 million people are presently displaced from their country of birth.
When a space ship feels like home the space-persons will have become true people of the stars.
Rather than merely, complex, organic assemblies built from former stars.

Points to ponder ... Brad Guth[_3_] Misc 3 June 22nd 13 11:18 PM
Ponder this Negah M Misc 9 January 2nd 13 07:21 PM
Somethin' for NB to ponder on oldcoot Misc 9 August 17th 07 08:43 AM
one more thought to ponder Southern Hospitality Misc 39 January 11th 05 10:16 PM