Evening apparition of Mercury

Old April 24th 15, 01:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Evening apparition of Mercury

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:28:11 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:

Even if I wanted to walk across Australia I only had a month between
retiring and return to part-time work so the 86 day record would have been
too long.

So what it boils down to is that it would be inconvenient, for various reasons, for you to take the low-carbon approach to Australia, but a tax, law, or regulation that would inconvenience other people to the point of their having to walk or ride a bus to work is OK, so long as those restrictions don't inconvenience you in the same ways?

During the "dream time" the ancient aborigines took thousands of
years to get to Uluru.

It probably did take them a while to discover it, but certainly not "thousands of years" once they arrived in Australia.
Old April 24th 15, 01:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 2:07:43 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 April 2015 23:09:28 UTC+2, Mike Collins wrote:

Apart from the two iPhone photos of the moon, the Jupiter occultation and
the vegetables they are first time photos.

You have no need to justify yourself. Least of all to Snell.

Where, exactly, did I ask him to, wrt posting photographs?

WRT to fossil fuels, a warmingista ALWAYS needs to justify himself, whether photography is involved or not. The Uluru photos appear to be evidence of a warmingista's hypocrisy.

Old April 24th 15, 04:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Friday, 24 April 2015 14:32:36 UTC+2, wrote:

WRT to fossil fuels, a warmingista ALWAYS needs to justify himself, whether photography is involved or not. The Uluru photos appear to be evidence of a warmingista's hypocrisy.

And, we have a WINNAH!!

Snell has just exceeded the previously unheard of record of mind-blowingly boring! Which 1461 achieved for a complete decade while setting a further new record for a continuous, cranial, high vacuum at room temperature. The latter received the Nobel Prize for Physics for ten consecutive years [i.e.in a row] despite 1461 never [ever] having attended a single physics class. Or any other, as far as any records show.

The chance of this ever happening again is so unlikely that mathematicians have often likened it to Einstein having won the GBofRecords, one-legged hopping race to the South Pole, while chewing only spearmint and burdock, low sugar gum and playing "Stairway to Heaven" continuously with one hand on a cathedral pipe organ in F#, carried only in a common wheelbarrow with only one handle, riding on a continuous surface of McLardy's takeaway litter, while wearing one sock and one glove and with only one eye open. [A patch sewn completely around the eye socket ensures no cheating. As has occurred rather too frequently in many previous GBofR attempts at this record!!]

The most recent record attempt failed through lack of funding for the provision of a full team of Guinness Book of Records official observers. Who, incidentally, were on-route to a high altitude [piebald] baby bunny throwing contest for lunatics with at least 17.33 years of compulsory incarceration for high altitude baby bunny catching with one [un-gloved] hand while smoking a small Chinese, machine-made cigar in an antique, Russian, porcelain holder with a chipped, Ebonite mouthpiece in the form of a Jersey cow.

When, quite unexpectedly, their executive jet crashed at high altitude after a baby bunny was accidentally sucked into an engine as they themselves tried to set a new GBofR record for [piebald] baby bunny bouncing off the left wing of an executive jet while flying inverted and singing Götterdämmerung in medieval, peasant Swedish [with an American 2nd Generation immigrant accent] while simultaneously shaving the left side of their moustaches for charity using a blunt, 1950's Teddy Boy flick knife with real, plastic, imitation tortoiseshell handle with brass neo-Nazi decoration depicting religious icons.

[The charity in this case being the GB of Records holiday fund for GBofR executives who have fallen on such hard times that they can no longer afford the fuel for their fleet of Bentleys to reach the local [Irish] soup kitchen.]

Or [putting it in multiple iterations of very similar words but with far less meaning] any missive by Snell, or 1461, posted here, on low quality toilet paper, in the last decade.

Old April 24th 15, 05:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 24 April 2015 14:32:36 UTC+2, wsne... wrote:

WRT to fossil fuels, a warmingista ALWAYS needs to justify himself, whether photography is involved or not. The Uluru photos appear to be evidence of a warmingista's hypocrisy.

chris b's tiresome 432-word diatribe deleted for humanitarian reasons

Let's see, I write three short, logical and concise sentences totaling fewer than forty words, and you post 432 words of aimless BS, and then you call ME boring??

Seriously?

Old April 24th 15, 05:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 9:35:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 24 April 2015 14:32:36 UTC+2, wsne... wrote:

WRT to fossil fuels, a warmingista ALWAYS needs to justify himself, whether photography is involved or not. The Uluru photos appear to be evidence of a warmingista's hypocrisy.

chris b's tiresome 432-word diatribe deleted for humanitarian reasons

You actually took the time to count the words? You can probably tell us if 'anal retentive' is supposed to have a hyphen, or not...

Let's see, I write three short, logical and concise sentences totaling fewer than forty words, and you post 432 words of aimless BS, and then you call ME boring??

You almost never write logical statements, and this last one was desperately illogical....
Old April 24th 15, 06:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 12:45:37 PM UTC-4, palsing wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 9:35:34 AM UTC-7, wsne... wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 24 April 2015 14:32:36 UTC+2, wsne... wrote:

WRT to fossil fuels, a warmingista ALWAYS needs to justify himself, whether photography is involved or not. The Uluru photos appear to be evidence of a warmingista's hypocrisy.

chris b's tiresome 432-word diatribe deleted for humanitarian reasons

You actually took the time to count the words?

The word processor counts them for me. You should learn how to use one.

You can probably tell us if 'anal retentive' is supposed to have a hyphen, or not...

The spell checker doesn't flag 'anal-retentive' as incorrect.

Let's see, I write three short, logical and concise sentences totaling fewer than forty words, and you post 432 words of aimless BS, and then you call ME boring??

You almost never write logical statements, and this last one was desperately illogical....

Did you actually read cb's 432 words? If so, did you find the experience fascinating?

Come to think of it you are as big a bore as he is, and a boor as well.
Old April 24th 15, 06:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Friday, 24 April 2015 18:35:34 UTC+2, wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 24 April 2015 14:32:36 UTC+2, wsne... wrote:

WRT to fossil fuels, a warmingista ALWAYS needs to justify himself, whether photography is involved or not. The Uluru photos appear to be evidence of a warmingista's hypocrisy.

chris b's tiresome 432-word diatribe deleted for humanitarian reasons

Let's see, I write three short, logical and concise sentences totaling fewer than forty words, and you post 432 words of aimless BS, and then you call ME boring??

Seriously?

Your posts perfectly define tedium, predictability and reiteration.
Who gives a monkey's how many times you repeat something?
Nobody but the idol on whom you obviously now dote: Bot 1461.
Is this really how you want to be remembered?
If you can't have an original thought then at least try being creative with the words available to you.
Hint: Repetition is only for infant children in the playground.
Most lack the vocabulary to make a valid point in an argument.
Does not! Does so! Does not! Does so! Does not!
Recognise anybody?
Old April 24th 15, 06:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 1:16:33 PM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 24 April 2015 18:35:34 UTC+2, wsne... wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 24 April 2015 14:32:36 UTC+2, wsne... wrote:

WRT to fossil fuels, a warmingista ALWAYS needs to justify himself, whether photography is involved or not. The Uluru photos appear to be evidence of a warmingista's hypocrisy.

chris b's tiresome 432-word diatribe deleted for humanitarian reasons

Let's see, I write three short, logical and concise sentences totaling fewer than forty words, and you post 432 words of aimless BS, and then you call ME boring??

Seriously?

Your posts perfectly define tedium, predictability and reiteration.

Then read something else.

edit

Your posts are nothing but word salad, or might as well be.
Old April 24th 15, 08:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:28:11 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:

Even if I wanted to walk across Australia I only had a month between
retiring and return to part-time work so the 86 day record would have been
too long.

So what it boils down to is that it would be inconvenient, for various
reasons, for you to take the low-carbon approach to Australia, but a tax,
law, or regulation that would inconvenience other people to the point of
their having to walk or ride a bus to work is OK, so long as those
restrictions don't inconvenience you in the same ways?

I'm not as selfish as you

I pay whatever taxes are required for this. I also pay taxes on petrol and
diesel which would start revolutions in your country.
And this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty

Of course to be practical there would no no measurable difference because
the aircraft I flew had a few empty seats and in an A380 the percentage of
fuel for each passenger is tiny
You have this terrible right wing inability to compromise. I'm not what you
would describe as a "Warmingista", I know enough science to be able to
evaluate the evidence presented in papers and look beyond the headlines in
newspapers.
You prefer to deny the mounting evidence in favour of climate change and
the role of greenhouse gases in this. If I saw any evidence to contradict
this I would change my mind but the evidence for anthropogenic climate
change keeps on coming.
You can see the same evidence but the filters in your brain won't let you
admit the possibility that you might be wrong.
I spent most of my time in the 20th century being frugal and not taking
foreign holidays and now I have both the time and the money I will do so.
But I support taking action to reduce CO2 emissions so my grandchildren
will be able to enjoy a reasonable lifestyle.

During the "dream time" the ancient aborigines took thousands of
years to get to Uluru.

It probably did take them a while to discover it, but certainly not
"thousands of years" once they arrived in Australia.

It's generally accepted that it took at least 10,000 years but could be a
lot longer. The last Ice Age postdated the human settlement.
Old April 24th 15, 08:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 3:16:52 PM UTC-4, Mike Collins wrote:
wsnell01 wrote:
[...]

Those air passenger duties are relatively small, easy to pay for rich warmingistas, maybe a barrier to the less well-heeled.

A round trip flight from London to Sydney causes the emission of over 5 tons of CO2 per passenger, an amount that is equal to the entire CO2 emitted in a year by the average world citizen, hardly a "tiny" amount.

The presence of empty seats doesn't absolve you of your guilt; if you and others didn't make such flights in the first place, the airlines would eventually stop flying. It is immoral, unfair and hypocritical for one to criticize other peoples' skepticism of AGW when one so blatantly does what he thinks others should compelled not to do, ie, put unnecessary carbon into the air.