piers

Old July 11th 03, 03:39 AM
gig50

Default piers

Has anyone constructed a pier from a floor of a 2nd story building? I'm
looking for info on how you did and what results you achieved.

Old July 11th 03, 05:15 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:39:21 -0700, "gig50" ...reflected:

Has anyone constructed a pier from a floor of a 2nd story building? I'm
looking for info on how you did and what results you achieved.

If I buy a Vixen GP-DX, I'm going to ditch the tripod and make my
own SET of piers, of varying heights, from good-quality wood 4x4's.

I'm afraid that's about as far I may go on that subject.

Alan

Old July 11th 03, 08:14 PM
Bob May

You actually want the pier to start on the ground if possible. A frame
house is a very rickety structure for doing telescoping. If the house has a
second story porch, a pier can easily be done to the ground without any
problems but if you are in the house, doing a pier from the basement can be
a bit of a problem, especially since you don't want the floors of each level
to touch the pier - you don't have to be very distant but there has to be
some clearance or the floor will touch the pier and vibrations will be
transmitted to the pier.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.