Extending the cables between PC and Meade ETX-125

Old January 28th 05, 12:31 PM
Jan Gustavsson

Default Extending the cables between PC and Meade ETX-125

I have a Meade ETX-125EC with the #497 Autostar computer control system.
I also have the Autostar Suite and with the LPI.

The LPI had 3 cables sent with the Autostar Suite. All 2 meters in length.
1 USB cable for connection PC-LPI
1 Serial cable for connection to PCserial-TelescopeAUX
1 Serial cable that is not for ETX

As I do not have a portable computer and it is cold outside in the
winter (Sweden), I wish to use my stationary computer inside. But 2
meter of cables will not do.
At least 10 meters is what I need and preferable longer then that.

I asked at a nearby Meade store (in Denmark) if there where any type of
longer cables or some hardware that might convert the signals to go
through an Ethernet cable instead.
He told me to use:
A Meade USB to RS232 Adapter (Adapter # 0745830) for the USB cable.
A remote control cable PCserial-Hand controller (no serial)

My questions a
- As the cable intended for the Autostar Suite are supposed to connect
the PC RS232 to the Meade AUX. Will the recommended remote control cable
connected to the hand controller work with the Autostar Suite?

- I have 3 other ideas of making a longer serial cable, but do not know
which idea is the best (if any).
1. Create a new cable (rj connectors) from AUX to the serial adapter.
2. Get a straight through rj-cable with a female-female connector to
extend the 2 meter cable.
3. Get a serial (RS232) cable to extend the cable in the RS232 end.

- The USB cable between the LPI and the PC has to be extended to. As
what I know if USB cables they are not recommended to be over 5 meter in
length. I have a few ideas there but am not sure about any of them.
1. Should I just connect a couple of USB cables to get it up to 10-20
meter? Just to see if it works.
2. There are 5 meter USB cables with some sort of amplifier in one end
that are supposed to make it possible to extend the maximum range with 5
meters. I could try one of these and a normal 5 meter USB cable?
3. Wonder if one can connect several such USB extenders (with amplifier)
in series?

Any one have some good ideas?
Anyone that has extended their cables? How did you do it?

JFG
Old January 28th 05, 03:40 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Jan Gustavsson" wrote in message
[...]

Look for USB 'active' extension cables. These are effectively single port
USB hubs, and each can extend the cable 5m, up to a max of 25m.

2. There are 5 meter USB cables with some sort of amplifier in one end
that are supposed to make it possible to extend the maximum range with 5
meters. I could try one of these and a normal 5 meter USB cable?

Yes. This is the active extension cable.

3. Wonder if one can connect several such USB extenders (with amplifier)
in series?

Yes, maximum is limited by the latency it introduces in the system, but 4
extenders are allowed.

Any one have some good ideas?
Anyone that has extended their cables? How did you do it?

Your RS232 serial cable can be exended by any of the methods you describe.
Normally RS232 for a port that 'meets' all the specs, at 9600bps, is good
for up to 30m. Some modern PC ports use lower signalling voltages, and may
give problems, but 10m should be fine.

Best Wishes

Old January 28th 05, 04:42 PM
Jan Gustavsson