...If You Were Given a Ticket to Mars, Would you Go? ...Not me!

Old January 26th 06, 04:26 AM posted to sci.space.history

Default ...If You Were Given a Ticket to Mars, Would you Go? ...Not me!

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:24:11 -0500, "jonathan"
wrote:

All the reasons to go I can think of, aesthetics, discovery
to find riches or truth, fail to convince me it's worth it.

....That's because you're a chump.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old January 26th 06, 04:33 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.astro

"jonathan" wrote in message

There's still more to discover on Earth, then there ever
will be on Mars, or any other planet for that matter.

All the reasons to go I can think of, aesthetics, discovery
to find riches or truth, fail to convince me it's worth it.

Some of those reasons are for vanity. Some are a pipe-dream.
The only rational reasons are, at heart, selfish.

It's not worth the risk, time or effort.

Jonathan

Yes, I would go. Not only because it's in the human blood to explore
but because reaching Mars will turn this currently First Space Age that we
are in into the beginning of the Second Space Age and I would love to be
part of it.

Old January 26th 06, 04:34 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.astro

"jonathan" wrote in message

It's not worth the risk, time or effort.

It's worth my effort to help you and Brad Guth go. One way.

Old January 26th 06, 04:48 AM posted to sci.space.history

news
wrote:

All the reasons to go I can think of, aesthetics, discovery
to find riches or truth, fail to convince me it's worth it.

...That's because you're a chump.

OM

The meek shall inherit the Earth.
The rest of us are going to the stars.

Old January 26th 06, 05:40 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.astro

Only if I could get off at Deimos or Phobos. Those are the logical
stepping-stones (literally) to safe descent and eventual development of the
planet itself. The first people to go directly to Mars have an excellent
chance of duplicating the fate of either the Titanic or the Jamestown
colony.

The only rational reasons are, at heart, selfish.

I'll go along with that. If there is substantial accessible water locked up
inside either of the Martian moons, and I could lay a sustainable claim to
them, I'd be the robber baron of outer space.

Jim McCauley

Old January 26th 06, 05:45 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.astro

In article ,
jonathan wrote:
Would you spend years busting your tail, redo your entire life, for that
precious seat? And why?

"If you have to ask, you aren't ever going to know."

Old January 26th 06, 05:53 AM posted to sci.space.history

"jonathan" wrote:

I'd go in a minute. The meek, such as you and the other Luddites (the LA Times Editorial
Board comes to mind), can have the Earth. The rest of us are going to the Stars. Count on it.
And the moon and Mars are just the beginning. I'd bet the first person to climb Mount
Olympus on Mars has already been born at least: at most, he/she is a grad student. Just get
the hell out of our way.

Old January 26th 06, 06:16 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 04:48:14 GMT, "Ten Quidado"
wrote:

The meek shall inherit the Earth.
The rest of us are going to the stars.

....Personally, I believe Yeshua H. Josephson actually said this in one
his sermons, but somewhere along the lines it got dropped in the
transcribing process. Much in the same way Moses dropped that third
tablet.
OM
--
]=====================================[
Old January 26th 06, 07:38 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.astro

I believe that eventually we will and should send explorers to Mars
and beyond. Some of them will go to stay and prepare the way for
more. That's always been the way of it ... whether for knowledge,
settling, economic gain, spirituality...the beauty of our journey.
And, oh yeah, almost forgot -- the need for people to live in realms
not increasingly dominated by fundamentalists of all stripes. ;-]

However, I can't help but see the current fed touting of 'Mars as the
next logical goal', as smoke and mirrors. An effort to stroke
'scientific
exploration' by an increasingly anti-science regime in trouble at home
and abroad, and anxious to distract the public. If Bush offers you a
seat on the manned mission to Mars, try not to take it.

Also, the nobelist t'Hooft and many others have made a good
case for our Moon being the real logical next step to Mars. It's
close by, loaded with material for development and would be the
best near-space testing ground for future human missions to the
other planets. To start aiming now for some glorious mission to
Mars smacks too much of the Mercury/Apollo mentality that reflected
a sort of super-stunt attitude. More about impressing the world
audience and no plan or real intent to stay and expand. ;-[

Stargene

Old January 26th 06, 01:48 PM posted to sci.space.history

Matt Wiser wrote:

I'd go in a minute. The meek, such as you and the other
Luddites (the LA Times Editorial Board comes to mind), can
have the Earth. The rest of us are going to the Stars. Count
on it. And the moon and Mars are just the beginning. I'd bet
the first person to climb Mount Olympus on Mars has already
been born at least: at most, he/she is a grad student. Just
get the hell out of our way.

chuckle

But in the meantime let's see what's on ESPN tonight!!

These armchair colonists crack me up.

Jim Davis