Why is the Sun's Surface so Cool ???

Old November 5th 05, 12:46 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Why is the Sun's Surface so Cool ???

The Temperature at the Sun's core is 27,900,000 F Its surface
temperature is only 9900 F From the core to the surface is about
432,000 miles. What caused this great drop in temperature? Does plasma
absorb heat? This has bothered me for many moons. What is the best
answer that is given??? Bert

Old November 5th 05, 04:14 PM
Bill Sheppard

Hey Bert,
You might also ask why the Earth's surface is so cool
compared to its core. In the Sun's case, the pressure is great enough to
ignite and sustain fusion. Active fusion is occuring only at the core,
which naturally makes the core the hottest part of the Sun. oc

Old November 5th 05, 06:35 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi oc The Earth's surface temperature averages out to be about 72 F,and
its core temperature is about 11,000 F Well I can live with that. My
point is the Sun has to have some great cooling to go from 27,000,000 F
down to 99,000 F Maybe the 100,000 years for the photons to go from the
core to the surface can give the answer. Best to keep in mind the
photons leave the Sun's core as gamma,but break out of its surface in
every wave length frequency (white light) That begs the question Does
all white light have the same temperature A heated poker goes from
red to white. Is yellow light hotter than white? Is blue light hottest
of all? Bert. .

Old November 5th 05, 07:08 PM
Ra♥ïⁿg L♂♀♫iε

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
The Temperature at the Sun's core is 27,900,000 F Its surface
temperature is only 9900 F From the core to the surface is about
432,000 miles. What caused this great drop in temperature? Does plasma
absorb heat? This has bothered me for many moons. What is the best
answer that is given??? Bert

Bert,

Your question motivates me to think of another tantalizing possibility.

Do BHs have a life cycle?

RL

Old November 5th 05, 07:42 PM
Double-A

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Hi oc The Earth's surface temperature averages out to be about 72 F,and
its core temperature is about 11,000 F Well I can live with that. My
point is the Sun has to have some great cooling to go from 27,000,000 F
down to 99,000 F Maybe the 100,000 years for the photons to go from the
core to the surface can give the answer. Best to keep in mind the
photons leave the Sun's core as gamma,but break out of its surface in
every wave length frequency (white light) That begs the question Does
all white light have the same temperature A heated poker goes from
red to white. Is yellow light hotter than white? Is blue light hottest
of all? Bert. .

Blue light has more energy.

Star
Type Temperature
O 30,000 - 60,000 K Blue stars
B 10,000 - 30,000 K Blue-white stars
A 7,500 - 10,000 K White stars
F 6,000 - 7,500 K Yellow-white stars
G 5,000 - 6,000 K Yellow stars (like the Sun)
K 3,500 - 5,000K Yellow-orange stars
M 3,500 K Red stars

Double-A

Old November 5th 05, 07:56 PM
Ra♥ïⁿg L♂♀♫iε

Double-A wrote:
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
[...]

.... ya, ya, ya, ya

The temperature is a gradient which drops from the center to the
surface of a star wherein, the emr radiates into space.

Surely the elemental composition of the star plays an important role in
all of this?

... and why should hydrogen be the predominant contributor to a
star's make-up?

Is it always the case of rocky planets, BHs or 'bye-byes' for the
heavier elements?

RL

Old November 5th 05, 09:48 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi RL Yes a BH has a life cycle. It is continually gaining mass. that
means its getting bigger and bigger. To reach its critical mass it takes
over 22 billion years on average. Location Location Location in the
universe can make it reach its spacetime faster to become critical. BH
has a 22 billion year spacetime as we see from our view ,and a Planck
length of time from the collapse of its horizon to the core.as seen
looking up from its center Gravity on one side (our side) is very weak.
Gravity at the BH core at the time of collapse is infinitely strong. So
strong if can create a universe out of a singularity. A big bang
There is an area in our universe that has over a trillion stars,and a
colossal BH at its center. That BH has all the right stuff to go
critical in about 6 billion more years. Can't think of the name of
this great galaxy,so some one please help me. bert

Old November 5th 05, 09:56 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Thanks Double-A Temperature has to cool the same as light has to dim.
Nature's inverse square law saw to it that our universe would be
organic. The Earth's surface having a mean temperature of 72 F I like.
That is why I should have never left Huntington Beach. Florida's heat is
just plain mean. Bert

Old November 5th 05, 10:28 PM
Double-A

Black Hole Paradox
(I posted this in sci.physics a couple years ago)

You have 2 twins. One of them sets out to explore the giant black
hole at the center of our galaxy, while the other stays home. Upon
reaching the black hole, using warp drive technology, he ventures too
close and falls in! In his time frame, the end comes quickly! His
brother back on earth continues to live out a normal life and finally
dies 70 years later. Upon arriving at the ivy-covered gates of
relativistic heaven, he is greeted by Dr. Einstein. He asks if his
brother is there and is surprised to learn that he has not arrived
yet! He is further shocked to hear that his brother is not expected
to arrive there for an indeterminate amount of time, because he is
still alive, albeit frozen on the event horizon!

So, the question is how long will the twin have to wait before his
brother joins him in paradise (assuming their clocks are synchronized
with those on earth)?

Or for you atheists who can't buy any of this, how long can the
insurance company refuse to pay on the "fozen" brother's
million-dollar life insurance policy?

Double-A