What was this satellite I saw?

Old July 22nd 03, 12:56 PM
Charles Packer

Default What was this satellite I saw?

Last weekend I was enjoying a rare opportunity to see the dark
sky on a visit to rural West Virginia. At about 10:05 PM I saw what
initially I took to be the Space Station, very bright and nearly
overhead. It was about as bright as the brightest stars visible.
However, it was moving on close to a south-to-north track. Does the
Space Station have that kind of orbital inclination?

--
(Charles Packer)
http://cpacker.org/whatnews
Old July 22nd 03, 01:48 PM
Sam Wormley

Charles Packer wrote:

Last weekend I was enjoying a rare opportunity to see the dark
sky on a visit to rural West Virginia. At about 10:05 PM I saw what
initially I took to be the Space Station, very bright and nearly
overhead. It was about as bright as the brightest stars visible.
However, it was moving on close to a south-to-north track. Does the
Space Station have that kind of orbital inclination?

--
(Charles Packer)
http://cpacker.org/whatnews

ISS - 51.6° inclination
ISS-249,E,1/202.81114583/2003, 51.6312,206.0398,0.000859, 34.5774,341.5673,15.60575917, .00010460,26641
Old July 22nd 03, 01:52 PM
Vernon

"Charles Packer" wrote in message
om...
Last weekend I was enjoying a rare opportunity to see the dark
sky on a visit to rural West Virginia. At about 10:05 PM I saw what
initially I took to be the Space Station, very bright and nearly
overhead. It was about as bright as the brightest stars visible.
However, it was moving on close to a south-to-north track. Does the
Space Station have that kind of orbital inclination?

--
(Charles Packer)
http://cpacker.org/whatnews

Maybe ISS, though not quite as described, but the time would be spot on for
Saturday (you didn't say what day).

The following is from Heavens Above based on Charleston WVa

19 Jul -0.5 22:03:37 10 SSW 22:06:38 48 SE 22:09:40 10 ENE

SSW to ENE, and hardly overhead, but it should have been visible at that
time.

Old July 23rd 03, 11:30 AM
Charles Packer

"Vernon" wrote in message ...
The following is from Heavens Above based on Charleston WVa
19 Jul -0.5 22:03:37 10 SSW 22:06:38 48 SE 22:09:40 10 ENE
SSW to ENE, and hardly overhead, but it should have been visible at that
time.

That must have been it. We were to the east of Charleston, closer to
Harrisonburg, Va. The max altitude seemed to be about 75-80 degrees.
I have a long-standing bookmark for Heavens Above, but I've consulted
it so rarely that I forgot it had past information...so thanks.

--
(Charles Packer)
http://cpacker.org/whatnews