Why this Mars Rover landed successfully.

Old January 5th 04, 07:31 AM
ralph sansbury

Default Why this Mars Rover landed successfully.

The successful landing etc may have been due in part to not
issuing navigation control commands that depended too closely on
the assumption that it takes about 10 minutes to send a signal
and about 10 to receive a signal.
The previous failures may in part have been due to the
failure to avoid such commands and the previous successes to
inadvertently avoiding such commands.
The NYTimes noted that "Its onboard computer was in complete
charge..." perhaps in contrast to previous failed attempts in
navigating the descent.
So maybe Heller and Owen passed along my concerns in 2000 even
if they did not accept entirely the argument that light speed
delay does not extrapolate beyond a second or so and that
evidence that seems to support this can be interpreted otherwise
(see http://www.bestweb.net/~sansbury)

Old January 5th 04, 11:08 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , ralph sansbury
writes

Nothing.

Ignore him. Please.

Plonk.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old January 6th 04, 01:18 AM
Sci-Fi

That is because it didn't land on Mars. It is really on a stage at
Paramont Studios in Hollywood. I think I've seen that set a number of
times in a few Star Trek movies.

Old January 6th 04, 02:51 AM
John Griffin

"Sci-Fi" wrote:

That is because it didn't land on Mars. It is really on a
stage at Paramont Studios in Hollywood. I think I've seen
that set a number of times in a few Star Trek movies.

The joke's on you. The Star Trek sets are on Mars. They were
built decades ago, using the moon landings as a diversion so
those high school kids and other hobbyists who intercept
telemetry wouldn't see what was going on.

Do you actually think that 80,000 foot mountain on Mars is a
natural feature? It's made of camo net. All battles between
Enterprise and the bad guys are filmed inside it.

If you don't believe me, ask your daddy.

Old January 6th 04, 06:40 AM
Jack

John Griffin wrote in message .1.4...
"Sci-Fi" wrote:

That is because it didn't land on Mars. It is really on a
stage at Paramont Studios in Hollywood. I think I've seen
that set a number of times in a few Star Trek movies.

The joke's on you. The Star Trek sets are on Mars. They were
built decades ago, using the moon landings as a diversion so
those high school kids and other hobbyists who intercept
telemetry wouldn't see what was going on.

Do you actually think that 80,000 foot mountain on Mars is a
natural feature? It's made of camo net. All battles between
Enterprise and the bad guys are filmed inside it.

If you don't believe me, ask your daddy.

those were all outtakes from _Diamonds Are Forever_