Breakthrough In Propulsion Physics.

Old December 19th 03, 08:35 PM
Bilge

Default Breakthrough In Propulsion Physics.

Victor Eijkhout:
Uncle Al wrote:

1) Space is homogeneous (translation) and isotropic (rotation).
Linear and angular momenta are therefore conserved through Noether's
theorem.
2) Translation in time is homogeneous. Energy is therefore
conserved through Noether's theorem.

I've always found an appeal to such laws unsatisfying, because basically
they say "free energy is not possible".

Since there has never been any indication that "free energy" is
possible, I don't see the problem.

What if this particular device does generate free energy?

Then I'll eat my keyboard right after I create and print out a
petition to revoke the laws of physics.

I know it doesn't, but this is not the way to convince this poor soul.

It's the best we can do, without a an incontentinental baseball bat.

Old December 19th 03, 08:48 PM
Greg Neill

"Victor Eijkhout" wrote in message
Uncle Al wrote:

1) Space is homogeneous (translation) and isotropic (rotation).
Linear and angular momenta are therefore conserved through Noether's
theorem.
2) Translation in time is homogeneous. Energy is therefore
conserved through Noether's theorem.

I've always found an appeal to such laws unsatisfying, because basically
they say "free energy is not possible".

The alternative is equivalent to a belief in magic.

Old December 19th 03, 09:34 PM
Robert J. Kolker

Victor Eijkhout wrote:

I've always found an appeal to such laws unsatisfying, because basically
they say "free energy is not possible".

Nature does not give one hoot about your desire for free energy. Energy
is conserved and the alws of thermodynamics hold. No free energy, and
the universe is running down too. Existence is a game at which we cannot
win. We cannot even break even.

Bob Kolker

Old December 19th 03, 09:35 PM
Robert J. Kolker

sal wrote:

To track down these references, visit your favorite online bookseller
and search for titles containing the words "Triplanetary" or "Lensman"
with author "E E (Doc) Smith".

These are just stories. Entertaining, but not real.

Bob Kolker

Old December 19th 03, 09:37 PM
Michael Varney

Uncle Al wrote:

1) Space is homogeneous (translation) and isotropic (rotation).
Linear and angular momenta are therefore conserved through Noether's
theorem.
2) Translation in time is homogeneous. Energy is therefore
conserved through Noether's theorem.

I've always found an appeal to such laws unsatisfying

The universe is not a Snickers bar.

Old December 19th 03, 09:59 PM
Victor Eijkhout

Robert J. Kolker wrote:

Energy
is conserved and the alws of thermodynamics hold.

Sure. But you're appealing to a law that the other guy claims doesn't
hold. He's not exactly going to be swayed by a appeal to that law.

V.
--
email: lastname at cs utk edu
homepage: cs utk edu tilde lastname
Old December 19th 03, 10:41 PM
Chosp

Robert J. Kolker wrote:

Energy
is conserved and the alws of thermodynamics hold.

Sure. But you're appealing to a law that the other guy claims doesn't
hold. He's not exactly going to be swayed by a appeal to that law.

It doesn't matter whether he is swayed or not. If he has the intent
of breaking the laws of thermodynamics - let him try.
He wouldn't be the first to fail at it. He wouldn't be the last.
Nature will continue as it has, regardless.

Old December 19th 03, 10:42 PM
Paul R. Mays

Uncle Al wrote:

1) Space is homogeneous (translation) and isotropic (rotation).
Linear and angular momenta are therefore conserved through Noether's
theorem.
2) Translation in time is homogeneous. Energy is therefore
conserved through Noether's theorem.

I've always found an appeal to such laws unsatisfying

The universe is not a Snickers bar.

Nope.... But our little corner is a Milky Way

Old December 20th 03, 12:13 PM
Franz Heymann

Uncle Al wrote:

1) Space is homogeneous (translation) and isotropic (rotation).
Linear and angular momenta are therefore conserved through Noether's
theorem.
2) Translation in time is homogeneous. Energy is therefore
conserved through Noether's theorem.

I've always found an appeal to such laws unsatisfying, because basically
they say "free energy is not possible". What if this particular device
does generate free energy? I know it doesn't, but this is not the way to
convince this poor soul.

Do you have any conception of the meaning of the word "theorem"?

Franz

Old December 20th 03, 12:13 PM
Franz Heymann

Uncle Al wrote:

1) Space is homogeneous (translation) and isotropic (rotation).
Linear and angular momenta are therefore conserved through Noether's
theorem.
2) Translation in time is homogeneous. Energy is therefore
conserved through Noether's theorem.

I've always found an appeal to such laws unsatisfying, because basically
they say "free energy is not possible". What if this particular device
does generate free energy? I know it doesn't, but this is not the way to
convince this poor soul.

In the best case, thermal energy, through internal friction. In this case
(2) doesn't even hold in your favor and you end up waisting your "time"
literally.

It is not obvious why you are answering who.

Franz