ANYONE KNOW OF A CLOSEOUT SALE ON A GOOD 8"OR 10" DOB?

Old July 22nd 03, 03:20 PM
Indianaradio

Default ANYONE KNOW OF A CLOSEOUT SALE ON A GOOD 8"OR 10" DOB?

I'M LOOKING FOR A 8 OR 10 INCH DOB OF GOOD QUALITY. I KNOW A FEW WEEKS AGO
SOMEONE WAS SELLING AN 8" DOB ON A CLOSE OUT SALE
BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO IT WAS. (CRS)
THANKS FOR YOU HELP.

GENE
Old July 23rd 03, 03:55 PM
Indianaradio

The "Deep Space Hunter" would be a GREAT deal if the mirror was Pyrex glass and
not Plate Glass.
I got to keep looking.
Old July 23rd 03, 04:00 PM
BenignVanilla

"Indianaradio" wrote in message
The "Deep Space Hunter" would be a GREAT deal if the mirror was Pyrex

glass and
not Plate Glass.
I got to keep looking.

I am newbie. Please explain the difference and why it matters to you?

BV.

Old July 23rd 03, 05:09 PM
Phil Wheeler

Indianaradio wrote:
The "Deep Space Hunter" would be a GREAT deal if the mirror was Pyrex glass and
not Plate Glass.
I got to keep looking.

I think Pyrex will not make much diffence for an 8" mirror.

Phil

Old July 23rd 03, 10:52 PM
Indianaradio

I think Pyrex will not make much diffence for an 8" mirror.

You know Phil you may be very right, but it would haunt me for years to
come. I'm not right I know but I want quality, so I guess I'll look faurther
and pay more. I know I don't want another sonatube scope. Not in Florida's
humidity.
I just sold my NextStar 8" and want to go the Dob route in a 10" or 12.5" if
I can find a 12.5" I can handle.
I'm 60 yo and have a form of MS and had to retire and sell my business
and move to Florida Soooo I can't move and lift like I use to but I think
I can still handle a 10" Dob ok and maybe a 12.5 if designed right.
Thanks for you input Phil.

And John if your reading this and can't handle the caps and that is all you
have to **** and moan about you need to get a better hobby than the Internet, I
hear stamp collection is fun.

Gene
Old July 23rd 03, 11:13 PM
Jon Isaacs

I think Pyrex will not make much diffence for an 8" mirror.

You know Phil you may be very right, but it would haunt me for years to
come.

I'm not right I know but I want quality, so I guess I'll look faurther
and pay more.

It will be a while before you get that mythical scope, the Lightweight 10 or
12.5 inch DOB.

My suggestion is to just take $300, buy that Hardin Optics 8 incher and use it,
then when the time comes for the fancy scope, you will not have missed anything
and you can sell the Hardin for nearly what you have in it.

Add a bit of Teflon and Ebony Star, you will have yourself a pretty nice scope,
thats whtat I did with my XT-8 and it does a nice job.

jon
Old July 23rd 03, 11:14 PM
Phil Wheeler

Indianaradio wrote:
I think Pyrex will not make much diffence for an 8" mirror.

You know Phil you may be very right, but it would haunt me for years to
come. I'm not right I know but I want quality, so I guess I'll look faurther
and pay more. I know I don't want another sonatube scope. Not in Florida's
humidity.

I think most of the Chinese Dobs (Hardin and Orion) have metal tubes
now, Gene.

I just sold my NextStar 8" and want to go the Dob route in a 10" or 12.5" if
I can find a 12.5" I can handle.
I'm 60 yo and have a form of MS and had to retire and sell my business
and move to Florida Soooo I can't move and lift like I use to but I think
I can still handle a 10" Dob ok and maybe a 12.5 if designed right.
Thanks for you input Phil.

I know where you are coming from, Gene. I'd like to buy a NexStar 9GPS
or 11GPS, but I suspect the weights (57 and 65 lbs) are more than I can
deal with (at 66 yrs, 145# and pretty arthritic -- Reiter's Syndrome)
comfortably. So I will likely buy an NS 8GPS instead (42 lbs). Then
eventually I want to get some sort of transportable big Dob (e.g., truss
or some such, that I can fit into my CR-V) since the skies here area
lousy (L.A. Area) and I do get to the desert 5-6 times a year.

I do have a C5+ SCT, a Celestron 80WA and a Discovery 8" Newt on a GEM.
When I bought the 8" newt, the owner of Discovery told me not to
bother with going to Pyrex for an 8" mirror (not worth the money in that
size, he said).

Phil