FWD: Lunar lander challenge ends with a crash

Old October 22nd 06, 06:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

Default FWD: Lunar lander challenge ends with a crash

http://www.newscientistspace.com/art...h-a-crash.html

....John Carmack, any comments?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old October 22nd 06, 08:07 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 12:40:08 -0500, in a place far, far away, OM
made the phosphor on my

http://www.newscientistspace.com/art...h-a-crash.html

...John Carmack, any comments?

Better luck next year. The money's still in the pot, and now there's
a year for competitors to get their act together.
Old October 22nd 06, 11:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Rand Simberg wrote:
Better luck next year. The money's still in the pot, and now there's
a year for competitors to get their act together.

Yep. I'm sad for John and his crew, coming so close to victory but not
quite making it, but the extra year will make for much sharper competition.
Old October 23rd 06, 02:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default Lunar lander challenge ends with a crash

"OM" wrote in message
http://www.newscientistspace.com/art...h-a-crash.html

...John Carmack, any comments?

Yeah... it's not new engine technology we need, it's better landing gear.

OM
--
]=====================================[

Old October 23rd 06, 04:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
John Halpenny

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"OM" wrote in message
http://www.newscientistspace.com/art...h-a-crash.html

...John Carmack, any comments?

Yeah... it's not new engine technology we need, it's better landing gear.

Armadillo demonstrated a rocket at the same event a year ago. I think
it fell over on the landing gear.

John Halpenny

Old October 23rd 06, 04:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"John Halpenny" wrote in message
ups.com...

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"OM" wrote in message
http://www.newscientistspace.com/art...h-a-crash.html

...John Carmack, any comments?

Yeah... it's not new engine technology we need, it's better landing gear.

Armadillo demonstrated a rocket at the same event a year ago. I think
it fell over on the landing gear.

As did DC-XA.

See! I'm serious here!

John Halpenny

Old October 23rd 06, 06:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_2_]

Lunar lander challenge ends with a crash:
With a million fold more powerful computer and having incorporated
multiple parallel sensors of every kind imaginable, along with having a
fully modulated thruster, a powerful set of momentum reaction gyros and
pushing as of nearly 4 decades after the fact, and yet with all of the
supposed NASA/Apollo expertise and the very best of such fly-by-rocket
wizards on Earth still wasn't quite good enough for even the most
controlled of passive conditions. Gee whiz, what a surprise.
-
Brad Guth

Old October 24th 06, 05:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
robert casey

Henry Spencer wrote:

Yep. I'm sad for John and his crew, coming so close to victory but not
quite making it, but the extra year will make for much sharper competition.

Wonder if NASA still has any of those "flying bedstead" lunar lander
trainers in working condition. I doubt it, though. IIRC they didn't
last real long during astronaut training; they had a habit of crashing.
Old October 24th 06, 06:56 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

robert casey wrote:

Wonder if NASA still has any of those "flying bedstead" lunar lander
trainers in working condition. I doubt it, though. IIRC they didn't
last real long during astronaut training; they had a habit of crashing.

The astronauts thought they were more dangerous than the actual LM,
which is a fairly odd characteristic to have in a trainer. :-)

Pat