ASTRO: The growing of a comet

Old November 6th 07, 12:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: The growing of a comet

Due to clouds, all of these but the first one were imaged through partly
obscured skies making them not very comparable, especially the 28th as
that had the heaviest clouds. All are reproduced at 2" of arc per
pixel. The last image is my full FOV so I will need a mosaic to take it
when the clouds clear. It is snowing as I type this. The first shot
used 1/2 second exposures and those nearly saturated the core. The
second and third used 10 second exposures and again the pseudo nucleus
was near saturation. The last one used 1 minute exposures but the
pseudo nucleus was only about half way to saturation. Going longer
would have made the elongation of the stars worse as well as the color
fringing so I limited it to one minute. Besides, clouds closed in
shortly after I finished so I'd have only been half done with longer
exposures. I can't explain the change between the 28th and 29th. It
seems greater than explained by the clouds yet both were processed
nearly the same. This guy will likely get much larger as it is showing
no sign of slowing down. All were taken between 2 and 4 hours UT on the
date shown.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p17HolmesSCALE.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1436
Old November 6th 07, 01:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
...... This guy will likely get much larger as it is showing
no sign of slowing down. All were taken between 2 and 4 hours UT on the
date shown......

Interesting! It looks like this display is all from one single event. If so,
the Holmes will continue to grow in apparent size while it dims.

BTW: Please keep that snow over in the mid-west.......

George N