We Just Found Water on the Sunlit Moon. That Could Change Everything.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 26th 20, 05:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default We Just Found Water on the Sunlit Moon. That Could Change Everything.

"Scientists have revealed that they've discovered traces of molecular water on the
sunlit surface of the moon. The discovery could forever change our relationship
with our closest cosmic neighbor. “This is exciting because the expectation is
that any water present on the sunlit surface of the moon might not survive the
lunar day,” Paul Hertz, the Astrophysics division director at NASA Headquarters,
said in a press conference Monday."

"Honniball and her colleagues used NASA's Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared
Astronomy (SOFIA) airborne telescope to make the observations. The flying
laboratory, a modified Boeing 747P, is equipped with a 2.7-meter (106-inch)
reflecting telescope that surveys the stars in infrared. Earth's atmosphere has a
blurring effect on observations made by ground-based telescopes. By soaring to an
altitude of up to 44,000 feet, SOFIA can cut through the blur to deliver sharper
images of the cosmos."

See:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/spa...ace-discovery/