Age of Universe Edges Closer to Officer Bert's Prediction!

Old December 29th 06, 02:01 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

Default Age of Universe Edges Closer to Officer Bert's Prediction!

The "official" mainstream age of the universe has been edging ever
closer to the 22 billion year age predicted all along by our Officer
Bert!

The officially accepted age of the universe a few years ago, based on
the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), was 13.7 billion
years.

Then in 2004, further observations caused scientists to extent its age
to 14.7 billion years.

Now in 2006, we have this:

"Even though the local neighborhood of planets shrank to eight, the big
picture -- the size and age of the universe -- increased by as much as
15 percent, according to a paper co-authored by an associate professor
of astronomy at Ohio State.

The astronomers invented what they said was a more accurate and simpler
way to measure intergalactic distances.

"The age of the universe is related to how big the universe is," said
Kris Stanek, who co-
authored the study to more precisely determine the Hubble constant, a
central tool astronomers use to calculate the cosmic expanse. "If the
universe is bigger, it had to take longer to become that big. Two
billion extra years makes a huge difference for people who worry about
these things.""

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...612270373/1007

Wow! An official age now of nearly 17 billion years!

Only 5 billion more years to go until they prove you right, Bert!

Double-A

Old December 29th 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Double-A thanks I needed that bad(been flamed). I have added up like
counting rings that make onions . Each ring being a spacetime event. So
my 22 billion year age for our universe was based on more than a guess.
Reality is now that I'm older and more knowledgeable I would add 5
billion more years. Go figu8ure Bert PS that would mean 22 billion
years ago our Sun,and its solar system came into being and 5 billion
years to "now"

Old December 30th 06, 10:01 AM posted to alt.astronomy
nightbat[_1_]

nightbat wrote

Double-A wrote:
[...]

nightbat

And that will affirm Saul's cluelessness even further, oh
mercy! Congratulations Major Bert and keep up the good work.

carry on,
the nightbat
Old December 30th 06, 03:21 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

nightbat and Double-A The size of the universe is mother natures great
mysteries. Astronomers have said if the universe is over 25 billion LY
they would consider it infinite. Now we are realizing how much more
that there is of the universe than meets the eye. It goes like this
Dark energy 65% Dark matter 30% Ordinary matter 5% We are measuring
Stars,planets and all other visible matter,and they are only 5% of all
that makes up our universe. Go figu8re Bert PS I only add up
spacetime major events to come up with 22 billion years

Old January 3rd 07, 12:43 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Saul Levy Saul Levy is offline
Banned

Who woke you up, frootie?

Saul Levy

Old January 3rd 07, 11:17 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius[_2_] Painius[_2_] is offline
Banned

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

We might be able to get the age of the Universe to
Bert's figure by a little reasoning, AA...

First, let's accept a couple of things -- that it took
nearly 17 billion years for the light from an object to
reach Earth, and that the object is being accelerated
away from Earth by the expansion of space.

Since we are seeing the object where it was long
ago, it follows that the object is somewhere else,
even farther away from Earth, at the present time.

We can call the 17 billion years the "optical age" of
the Universe. If we then invent a term: the "material
age" of the Universe, mustn't this material age be a
bit longer? perhaps even as much as 5 billion years
longer?

It may be awhile before science catches up with my
own prediction. For a long time now, i've believed
that the Universe is at least 75-85 billion years old.

It's the same principle working, too. If the object
was where we see it 17 billion years ago, I just
reverse the above process and wonder where the
object must have been 18 billion years ago, 20
billion years ago, even 30 billion years ago.

I feel it won't be long until science will once again
roll around to accepting an infinite age for the ever-
changing and spectacular Universe!

--
For your tee-shirt: ASTRONOMERS ARE THE GREAT
LOVERS OF THE UNIVERSE!

Indelibly yours,
Paine http://www.savethechildren.org/
http://www.painellsworth.net

Old January 3rd 07, 03:24 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Panics Well optical age orf the universe is tricky at best. BB gave off
gamma photons first. I now added to the creation of all that is a
timelaps that took place in the micro sub-particle realm of the micro
universe(macro universe gases Hydrogen and helium not created yet)
having internal shock waves that lasted 9 billion years. This was a
spacetime without Relativity. Lots of chaos. God was rolling dice.
Just going back close to our local group(Local Superclusters) Than to
our Milky Way,and now to our Solar system here Panius you see three
timelapses. We know the solar system is 5 billion years old. Lets say
the Milky way with all its stars,and being 100,000 light years
across(how much time to create that?) Best to keep in mind Andromeda is
part of the local group,and also other smaller galaxies,All this took
lots of spacetime. Each star is a spacetime event. 33 billion could be
closer than 22 billion. Best to keep in mind nature uses time as if it
is infinite like space. Bert

Old January 3rd 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy
honestjohn[_1_]

"Phineas T Puddleduck" wrote in message
news
In article
,
"Painius" wrote:

We can call the 17 billion years the "optical age" of
the Universe. If we then invent a term: the "material
age" of the Universe, mustn't this material age be a
bit longer? perhaps even as much as 5 billion years
longer?

Inflation.

..........of the ego make one a Gay-Duck!

Old January 3rd 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Phineas T Puddleduck

In article
,
"Painius" wrote:

We can call the 17 billion years the "optical age" of
the Universe. If we then invent a term: the "material
age" of the Universe, mustn't this material age be a
bit longer? perhaps even as much as 5 billion years
longer?

Inflation.

--
This space reserved for Jeff Relf's 5-dimensional metric.

Old January 3rd 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius[_2_] Painius[_2_] is offline
Banned

"Phineas T Puddleduck" wrote...
in message news
In article ,
"Painius" wrote:

We can call the 17 billion years the "optical age" of
the Universe. If we then invent a term: the "material
age" of the Universe, mustn't this material age be a
bit longer? perhaps even as much as 5 billion years
longer?

Inflation.

And Puddleduck, inflation accounts for how many
years of the Universe's existence? Or are you
equating inflation with the accelerated expansion?

The older age i propose is based upon the present
rate of expansion being well below c, and that the
rate of expansion has been well below c for some
time now. Is this not correct?

And if the Universe has expanded to a radius of 17
billion light years in 17 billion years, would this
mean that its mean velocity of expansion over the
17 billion years is c?

Guth would thank you, Puddleduck! When do we
get to call you "Doc"?