A fundamental Question

Old October 16th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Researcher

Default A fundamental Question

Einstein seems to have based his derivation on
"Speed of Light is constant in any Ref. Frame" as one of the premises.
Well Speed is measured with respect to something. With respect to what is
this speed of light taken as constant?

Since then it has been found that speed of light changes or slows down
according to medium. What does this mean?

If two beams of lights are sent in 180 degrees opposite directions what is
the relative speed between these two beams.

It can't be again less than speed of light the 'ultimate' and therefore even
these beams do shorten in distance according to Lorenz transformation and if
so even light is subject to relativity and therefore cannot be content
irrespective of difference in frames of reference.

Researcher

Old October 16th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Felix Rawlings

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:34:37 +0530, Researcher wrote:

Einstein seems to have based his derivation on "Speed of Light is constant
in any Ref. Frame" as one of the premises.

In vacuum. Therefore the rest of your posting is irrelevant.

Old October 16th 06, 05:09 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Researcher

Read in the last para as : constant in place of 'content' - this was done by
the spellchecker

Researcher

.. .

Old October 16th 06, 05:10 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_3_]

"Researcher" wrote in message
.. .
| Einstein seems to have based his derivation on
| "Speed of Light is constant in any Ref. Frame" as one of the premises.
| Well Speed is measured with respect to something. With respect to what is
| this speed of light taken as constant?

The superflous luminiferous aether, of course.

| Since then it has been found that speed of light changes or slows down
| according to medium. What does this mean?

It means Einstein was a con artist.

| If two beams of lights are sent in 180 degrees opposite directions what is
| the relative speed between these two beams.

600,000 km/sec

| It can't be again less than speed of light the 'ultimate' and therefore
even
| these beams do shorten in distance according to Lorenz transformation and
if
| so even light is subject to relativity and therefore cannot be content
| irrespective of difference in frames of reference.
|
| Researcher

What cuckoo malformation should be blamed on Lorentz?

Old October 16th 06, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Researcher

If it is about 'in vacuum' it doesn't exist in the known universe as there
can be no such things within the free-space without anything

So, read the rest too

Researcher

news

Old October 16th 06, 05:15 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Sam Wormley

Researcher wrote:
Einstein seems to have based his derivation on
"Speed of Light is constant in any Ref. Frame" as one of the premises.
Well Speed is measured with respect to something. With respect to what is
this speed of light taken as constant?

Since then it has been found that speed of light changes or slows down
according to medium. What does this mean?

Photons propagate at c.

Wavefronts are slower than c through anything other than a vacuum.

Speed of light
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/phys...edofLight.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_Light
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_o...renc e_frames

Old October 16th 06, 05:16 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
sathish

Researcher wrote:
Einstein seems to have based his derivation on
"Speed of Light is constant in any Ref. Frame" as one of the premises.
Well Speed is measured with respect to something. With respect to what is
this speed of light taken as constant?

Since then it has been found that speed of light changes or slows down
according to medium. What does this mean?

REPLY:

According to Einstein speed in vacuum is a
constant.This holds good.But in any medium,light's velocity
decreases,ofcourse changes.However the speed of light is highest only
in the vacuum.This supports the principle that no object move beyond
the speed of light.
In any frame the speed of light is
constant,whether it is moving opposite light or in the direction of
light.

Old October 16th 06, 06:01 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Igor

Researcher wrote:
Einstein seems to have based his derivation on
"Speed of Light is constant in any Ref. Frame" as one of the premises.
Well Speed is measured with respect to something. With respect to what is
this speed of light taken as constant?

Any inertial observer.

Since then it has been found that speed of light changes or slows down
according to medium. What does this mean?

It really doesn't slow down at all. It appears to slow due to the
absorption and re-emission of photons which still travel at c in the
vacuum between individual atoms.

If two beams of lights are sent in 180 degrees opposite directions what is
the relative speed between these two beams.

The velocity composition rule from the Lorentz transformation says they
have a relative speed of c.

It can't be again less than speed of light the 'ultimate' and therefore even
these beams do shorten in distance according to Lorenz transformation and if
so even light is subject to relativity and therefore cannot be content
irrespective of difference in frames of reference.

The main problem here is that an "observer" traveling at c will not be
inertial.

Old October 16th 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Dirk Van de moortel

"Igor" wrote in message ups.com...

Researcher wrote:
Einstein seems to have based his derivation on
"Speed of Light is constant in any Ref. Frame" as one of the premises.
Well Speed is measured with respect to something. With respect to what is
this speed of light taken as constant?

Any inertial observer.

Since then it has been found that speed of light changes or slows down
according to medium. What does this mean?

It really doesn't slow down at all. It appears to slow due to the
absorption and re-emission of photons which still travel at c in the
vacuum between individual atoms.

If two beams of lights are sent in 180 degrees opposite directions what is
the relative speed between these two beams.

The velocity composition rule from the Lorentz transformation says they
have a relative speed of c.

Careful, there is only one observer here, so there aren't any
velocities to compose. Both distances and times are measured
by the same observer, so the total distance can be divided by
the total time it takes for the fronts to separate or close in on
each other. So the closing (or opening if you insist) velocity is
2c.

Dirk Vdm

Old October 16th 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.sci.physics.new-theories,sci.astro,sci.math.symbolic,sci.physics
Researcher

You are absolutely after my heart and right on dot

Researcher

"Igor" wrote in message
ups.com...