Mount Question

Old July 7th 05, 04:43 PM
Mike Jenkins

Default Mount Question

Hi, I'm currently looking for a used mount for my Orion by Vixen 102. It's
an f10 scope.I'm interested in a CG-5 or equivalent. My question is this:

What manufacturers make a CG-5 or, equivalent mount besides Celestron?

I know a lot of astronomical products are identical, but have different
names or part numbers depending on manufacturer.

Is the Orion Skyview Pro in the same class as the CG-5? If not, what is
Orion's equivalent?

Thanks, Mike

Old July 7th 05, 05:09 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Mike Jenkins" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi, I'm currently looking for a used mount for my Orion by Vixen 102.
It's an f10 scope.I'm interested in a CG-5 or equivalent. My question is
this:

What manufacturers make a CG-5 or, equivalent mount besides Celestron?

Celestron don't 'make' the CG-5. It is a Synta mount (well I suppose you
could now say this makes it a Celestron mount...).

I know a lot of astronomical products are identical, but have different
names or part numbers depending on manufacturer.

Yes. The CG-5, is one of an enormous number of clones. It has been
upgraded itself on many occasions, and now has proper thrust bearings on
the worm drive, and ball races on the main axis. This makes it one of the
heaviest duty mounts in this class, but there are at least three different
versions around, and versions from a couple of years ago, have rubber 'O'
rings as thrust bearings, and are basically cr&p, unless you spend quite a
lot of time fiddling with them. Even on the current versions, the QA, is
'variable', with good examples being very good value for money, but the
odd 'pig' exixts...

Is the Orion Skyview Pro in the same class as the CG-5? If not, what is
Orion's equivalent?

No. Have a look at the reviews on Cloudynights. They have reviews of both
these mounts, with pictures, and you can get an idea of the sizes
involved. The Skyview pro, is closer to the original 'GP', while the
latter CG-5 is nearer to the 'GP-DX'. However the quality of the clones is
well below these Vixen models, but the mechanical strength of the latter
CG-5, is slightly better. The problem is that Orion, have models that are
best for smaller scopes, or rather a lot larger, with a 'gap' in the range
here. Look at other suppliers, and the HEQ5, which is a great 'value for
money' mount (though the standard controller may be 'questionable'...).
Alternatively, look at second hand, and see if you can get a genuine
GP-DX, which is likely to give far better tracking.

Best Wishes

Old July 7th 05, 05:49 PM
Doink

I have 2 Orion Sky View Pro mounts and 1 CG-5---I sold one of the CG-5s I
had. The Sky View Pro mount is superior to the CG-5s I had and have. But,
as the previous poster says, there are variations on this theme depending on
the year of manufacture. The current CG-5 seems more like the SVP. BE
CAREFUL ABOUT TRACKING DRIVES. They are NOT interchangeable. I also
wouldn't expect Orion's or Celestron's drives to track GREAT for
photography. I have found both to be adequate for visual use. The best buy
is a used SVP which can be had for $200-$250 on Astromart.

Doink

Old July 8th 05, 01:21 AM
Szaki

Buy a used Celestron/Vixen GP mount with wooden legs $500-$600. You can add
a short pier for the GP/ 100mm refractor combo for extra clearance.
I have the Celestron GP, short pier and SS2K combo, very accurate. While
other mounts tracking/position claims, puts objects 80% of times into a 25mm
Plossel eyepiece, SS2K never miss at 3 star alignment. I can be at 100x-150x
magnification and get the object into the field of the eyepiece.
I even used the GP EQ mount a few times finding objects manually, using
setting circles after accurate polar alignment, using the date and time
future.
Good luck!
Julius.