Using Digital camera for astro photos

Old October 28th 03, 08:00 PM
Liam Feeney

Default Using Digital camera for astro photos

Any advice for a novice in astro pics.I have a Kodak D/c and a 8" Reflector.

Thanks

Old October 28th 03, 10:09 PM
Wally Anglesea™

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:00:10 -0000, "Liam Feeney"
wrote:

Any advice for a novice in astro pics.I have a Kodak D/c and a 8" Reflector.

Thanks

You go ahead man!!

I have a Kodak DX 4330, and a Meade ETX 105

The trick is patience, and just do it.

The first shot I took, back months ago, was just focusing then putting
the camera on "auto", holding the thing up to the eyepiece, then
taking the shot. I didn't use the "telephoto" (t) setting, kept it at
"wide"(w)

So then I bought an adapter kit for the camera:
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...navCa tegory=

If you have a different camera, you can probably get an adapter to
suit.

This allows you to then connect a televue eyepiece adapter, which I
also bought.

The trick was then taking the shots through the eyepiece. I use the
30mm eyepiece, because I can use the 20mm to line up the shot, since
they are parfocal (focus is the same), then put in the kodak and
eyepiece assembly. I use the autotimer to prevent camera shake. I've
used auto and sport modes, but use auto exclusively for the sun shots
I've been taking recently.

Lastly, try this:

If you have a Long Exposure setting, setup the camera on a tripod,
point it at the sky, to some bright constellation. max out the long
exposure, and shoot, again, with the self timer.

You may not see too much, so take the shot, transfer it to your
computer and use either the Kodak Easy Share software to "increase the
exposure" on the "edit picture" option, or use Photoshop or some other
graphics manipulator. You will be surprised.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/photos.htm has my recent sunspot
pictures.

Email me if you want me to zip up and send you some of the
"constellation" photos or moon pictures. (remove the "spammers are
parasites" from my email address)

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."