ASTRO: Arp 279 Odd interacting pair

Old August 11th 10, 05:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 279 Odd interacting pair

Arp 279, NGC 1253 and NGC 1253A is a pair of interacting galaxies in
Eridanus that are about 70 to 75 million light years away. Close by
compared to most Arp galaxies. Arp put them in his class, Double
Galaxies: Interacting. Arp had no comment about these two. The main
galaxy is classed as S(B)c by the NGC Project and SAB(rs)cd by NED. The
companion is SB(s)m per NED. How you get a barred spiral out of that
mess is beyond me. It does have that curving arm-like feature but I'm
not sure what it was before the encounter. Comparing my version of this
companion to that in Arp's image I'm surprised how bright a couple star
clusters are in my image compared to his. This difference holds in the
POSS 1 and 2 plates as well. They seem overly bright in my raw FITS
files as well so it isn't processing. Maybe instead of knots they are
variable stars in our galaxy caught with both at maximum. Considering I
took the data over an eight day period and they show the same in both I
find that unlikely. So for now its unexplained.

For some reason this pair reminds me of a big fish chasing a small ray
that is slashing its tail trying to get away. The big "fish" is leaving
a double wake behind it. In any case these are both distorted in very
unusual ways.

This field is little studied so not much information on the other
galaxies in the image. Only the three biggest galaxies besides the Arp
279 pair have any red shift data. They are KUG 0311-031 near the bottom
edge a bit west of Arp 279. It is in both the ultraviolet galaxy
catalog (KUG) and the IR catalog (2MASX J03134761-0256056) so is both a
strong UV and IR emitting galaxy. One NED note says it is "leaf
shaped". I don't see that in my image. NED shows a red shift that puts
it about 273 million light years away.

The other two galaxies are along the western edge. The lower is 2MASX
J03131021-0254121 at 274 million light years, thus a neighbor of KUG
0311-031. Well above it is 2MASX J03130881-024319 an S0 galaxy about 375
million light years distant. The brighter background galaxies are
mostly listed only in the APMUKS catalog which is just an automated
plate survey of objects in the UK Schmidt telescope in Australia. A few
are from the 2MASS survey of IR galaxies. Most are not in any catalog I
could find.

Three satellites/space debris cross the image. Two are sun glints with
faint trails and angle down and to the right. The brighter one goes
nearly horizontally across the upper part of the image. I didn't
attempt to clone them out.

This is my last October image, a month of only one decent night and 4
images. Fortunately November had more imaging nights.

Arp's image
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp279.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=8x10', RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP279L8X10-RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	3074  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP279L8X10-RGB2X10X3-CROP150.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	3075
Old August 12th 10, 05:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Go to
http://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/Cat

enter Deeg in the search box for a catatlog of
"Dwarf galaxy candidates around interacting galaxies (Deeg+ 1998)".
Includes NGC 1253

Old August 12th 10, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Unfortunately the catalog doesn't give RA and Dec coordinates, just
offsets which is a pain to deal with. I converted a few to RA and Dec
and found they led to star like objects. I'd need to write some
software to convert to coordinates my plate solve software could use to
make such a listing useful.

Rick

Old August 14th 10, 12:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Mighty image Rick. A pity that this pair is below the equator where I don't
get good seeing.

Stefan

. com...