HOW EINSTEINIANS MAKE DISCOVERIES

Old April 7th 09, 09:17 AM posted to fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro,alt.philosophy
Pentcho Valev

Default HOW EINSTEINIANS MAKE DISCOVERIES

Nobody really wants to say Einstein is wrong, therefore (DISCOVERY!)
space is filled with a dark energy:

http://www.coloradodaily.com/news/20...z-dark-energy/
"Nobody really wants to say Einstein is wrong," said James Green, an
astronomer at the University of Colorado. "It's scary to say. It's
worked so well for so long under such intense scrutiny." And so while
there are some who question Einstein's theories, many more astronomers
have embraced the idea that space is filled with a "dark energy" that
can overcome gravity, pushing the universe outward at increasing
speeds."

Those who "question Einstein's theories" are still quite prudent:

http://www.sciscoop.com/story/2008/10/30/41323/484
"Does the apparently constant speed of light change over the vast
stretches of the universe? Would our understanding of black holes,
ancient supernovae, dark matter, dark energy, the origins of the
universe and its ultimate fate be different if the speed of light were
not constant?.....Couldn't it be that the supposed vacuum of space is
acting as an interstellar medium to lower the speed of light like some
cosmic swimming pool? If so, wouldn't a stick plunged into the pool
appear bent as the light is refracted and won't that affect all our
observations about the universe. I asked theoretical physicist Leonard
Susskind, author of The Black Hole War, recently reviewed in Science
Books to explain this apparent anomaly....."You are entirely right,"
he told me, "there are all sorts of effects on the propagation of
light that astronomers and astrophysicists must account for. The point
of course is that they (not me) do take these effects into account and
correct for them." "In a way this work is very heroic but unheralded,"
adds Susskind, "An immense amount of extremely brilliant analysis has
gone into the detailed corrections that are needed to eliminate these
'spurious' effects so that people like me can just say 'light travels
with the speed of light.' So, there you have it. My concern about
cosmic swimming pools and bent sticks does indeed apply, but
physicists have taken the deviations into account so that other
physicists, such as Susskind, who once proved Stephen Hawking wrong,
can battle their way to a better understanding of the universe."

Pentcho Valev

Old April 7th 09, 11:17 AM posted to fr.sci.astrophysique,sci.astro,alt.philosophy
SolomonW[_4_]

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 01:17:21 -0700 (PDT), Pentcho Valev wrote:

Nobody really wants to say Einstein is wrong, therefore (DISCOVERY!)
space is filled with a dark energy:

Since when does Einstein theories depend on dark energy to be right?