Sirius B

Old July 12th 08, 08:32 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Sirius B

Sirius B evidently did go Nova 120 million years ago, it is only 8.6
light years away how could anything on earth survived such a
blast.....

Krita started 146 milj ago and ended 86 milj years ago?

Is this correct?
Old July 12th 08, 08:38 PM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_8_]

wrote in message
| Sirius B evidently did go Nova 120 million years ago, it is only 8.6
| light years away how could anything on earth survived such a
| blast.....

A nuclear weapon exploded over Hiroshima, Japan, on 6th August, 1945.
How could anything in the USA have survived such a blast.....

| Krita started 146 milj ago and ended 86 milj years ago?
|
| Is this correct?

No.

Old July 12th 08, 08:58 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

On 12 Juli, 21:38, "Androcles" wrote:
wrote in message

| Sirius B evidently did go Nova 120 million years ago, it is only 8.6
| light years away how could anything on earth survived such a
| blast.....

A nuclear weapon exploded over Hiroshima, Japan, on 6th August, 1945.
How could anything in the USA have survived such a blast.....

| Krita started 146 milj ago and ended 86 milj years ago?
|
| Is this correct?

No.

Oh you are correct Androcles it was 65 miljon years ago
But the the Triassic–Jurassic extinction event marks the boundary
between the Triassic and Jurassic periods, 199.6 million years ago,
and is one of the major extinction events.

I do not know but i see the possibility for some doubts in carbon
dating, and also when it comes to put dates on events within
astronomy. I find it reasonably to beleive that Sirius B was cause to
the Triassic-Jurassic extinction.

That leave us with the question what star did go nova when the great
dinosaurs dissapeared.

So any Astronomer out there could tell me a nearby star that did go
Nova at the end of Cretaceous–Tertiary time 65 miljon years ago, that
was a pretty major extinction event.

I know they say it was an Asteroid and sure it can have been to.

Old July 12th 08, 09:26 PM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_8_]

wrote in message

| Sirius B evidently did go Nova 120 million years ago, it is only 8.6
| light years away how could anything on earth survived such a
| blast.....

A nuclear weapon exploded over Hiroshima, Japan, on 6th August, 1945.
How could anything in the USA have survived such a blast.....

| Krita started 146 milj ago and ended 86 milj years ago?
|
| Is this correct?

No.

Oh you are correct Androcles it was 65 miljon years ago
But the the Triassic–Jurassic extinction event marks the boundary
between the Triassic and Jurassic periods, 199.6 million years ago,
and is one of the major extinction events.

I do not know but i see the possibility for some doubts in carbon
dating, and also when it comes to put dates on events within
astronomy. I find it reasonably to beleive that Sirius B was cause to
the Triassic-Jurassic extinction.

Whoopee for you. yawn
Now prove it.
I find it reasonably to believe that bright green flying elephants lay their
eggs in black holes but I do not know and I can't prove it... and you
are not really interested. Let's prove Santa Claus comes down chimneys
instead, we can both believe that one.

Old July 12th 08, 09:49 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

wrote in message

| Sirius B evidently did go Nova 120 million years ago, it is only 8.6
| light years away how could anything on earth survived such a
| blast.....

A nuclear weapon exploded over Hiroshima, Japan, on 6th August, 1945.
How could anything in the USA have survived such a blast.....

| Krita started 146 milj ago and ended 86 milj years ago?
|
| Is this correct?

No.

Oh you are correct Androcles it was 65 miljon years ago
But the the Triassic–Jurassic extinction event marks the boundary
between the Triassic and Jurassic periods, 199.6 million years ago,
and is one of the major extinction events.

I do not know but i see the possibility for some doubts in carbon
dating, and also when it comes to put dates on events within
astronomy. I find it reasonably to beleive that Sirius B was cause to
the Triassic-Jurassic extinction.

Whoopee for you. yawn
Now prove it.
I find it reasonably to believe that bright green flying elephants lay their
eggs in black holes but I do not know and I can't prove it... and you
are not really interested. Let's prove Santa Claus comes down chimneys
instead, we can both believe that one.- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

Well "SCIENTISTS" tells that if Betelgeuse goes Nova and if it's
rotational axis aligned our way we would be in very difficult position
and alot of life on earth would actually threatened. It is 427
lightyears away.

Wikipedia:Betelgeuse
"Since its rotational axis is not toward the Earth, it is believed
that Betelgeuse's supernova would not cause a gamma ray burst in the
direction of Earth large enough to damage Earth's ecosystem even with
its relatively close proximity of 427 light years."

Now ALDEBARAN is only 65 millions away and i have a feeling that if it
go Nova we are ****ed,
Now you prove me wrong and you will not find it that easy.

So if you have a better bet for the great extinctions then supernovas
tell me.
I do not find it unreasonable that asteroids caused the great
"extinctions", and i do not find it unreasonable that supernovas did
it either.

I understand though that it give more comfort beleiving that they were
caused by asteroids.
Old July 12th 08, 11:36 PM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_8_]

wrote in message

| Sirius B evidently did go Nova 120 million years ago, it is only 8.6
| light years away how could anything on earth survived such a
| blast.....

A nuclear weapon exploded over Hiroshima, Japan, on 6th August, 1945.
How could anything in the USA have survived such a blast.....

| Krita started 146 milj ago and ended 86 milj years ago?
|
| Is this correct?

No.

Oh you are correct Androcles it was 65 miljon years ago
But the the Triassic–Jurassic extinction event marks the boundary
between the Triassic and Jurassic periods, 199.6 million years ago,
and is one of the major extinction events.

I do not know but i see the possibility for some doubts in carbon
dating, and also when it comes to put dates on events within
astronomy. I find it reasonably to beleive that Sirius B was cause to
the Triassic-Jurassic extinction.

Whoopee for you. yawn
Now prove it.
I find it reasonably to believe that bright green flying elephants lay
their
eggs in black holes but I do not know and I can't prove it... and you
are not really interested. Let's prove Santa Claus comes down chimneys
instead, we can both believe that one.- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

Well "SCIENTISTS" tells that if Betelgeuse goes Nova and if it's
rotational axis aligned our way we would be in very difficult position
and alot of life on earth would actually threatened. It is 427
lightyears away.

Wikipedia:Betelgeuse
"Since its rotational axis is not toward the Earth, it is believed
that Betelgeuse's supernova would not cause a gamma ray burst in the
direction of Earth large enough to damage Earth's ecosystem even with
its relatively close proximity of 427 light years."

Stick around sci.physics and count the cranks. Some of them write
articles for wackypedia, the encyclopaedia any crank can write.
They like to call themselves "scientists".

Now ALDEBARAN is only 65 millions away and i have a feeling that if it
go Nova we are ****ed,
Now you prove me wrong and you will not find it that easy.

You obviously missed my point about proof, son.
I don't have to prove you wrong, you have to prove you are
right. The burden of proof is upon the claimant.
If I say bright green flying elephants lay their eggs in black holes
it is up to me to prove it. Anyone can say anything they like but only
a fool would believe the nonsense.
Why do we require proof?
Well, if someone accuses you of a crime you can be thrown in jail,
but the law and common sense requires that you be given a fair trial
and the accuser must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the
accusation is true.
I do not believe you.
Tough, isn't it?
I didn't swallow your silly story, so what are you going to do about it?
Show me the proof. I don't have to prove you wrong, you have to
prove you are right.
Scientists say you are wrong, is that good enough a proof for you?
I found that very easy.
Now who is ****ed?

So if you have a better bet for the great extinctions then supernovas
tell me.

Bet? You want a wager? Put money up?
Ok, how much money will you deposit with a lawyer (because I'll match it)
and what are the rules for deciding the outcome?
I bet you that I can do a better job of persuading people Aldeberan
will not go nova in my lifetime or yours than you can that it will, and
I bet you that you cannot prove the great extinctions were anything to
do with novae.
BTW, the plural of "nova" is "novae", not "novas". Otherwise we'd
be saying hippopotamuses instead of hippopotami.

I do not find it unreasonable that asteroids caused the great
"extinctions", and i do not find it unreasonable that supernovas did
it either.

I do. It is very unreasonable and indeed childish to latch on to the first
thing you think of when the true answer is not known and may never be
known. If you want to be a scientist the first thing you must learn is
how to prove what you claim, or you will simply be laughed at.

I understand though that it give more comfort beleiving that they were
caused by asteroids.
Then you understand very little.

Old July 13th 08, 04:34 AM posted to sci.astro
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)[_230_]

Dear jonas.thornvall:

wrote in message
I understand though that it give more comfort
beleiving that they were caused by asteroids.

I believe it is the vast quantity of soil upset, and the layer of
increased iridium that occurs about the time of the extinction
that makes them think that. A GRB won't do that.

But whatever "Chicken Little" thing you want to want to waste
your creative thought on...

David A. Smith

Old July 13th 08, 07:25 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

On 13 Juli, 05:34, "N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)"
wrote:
Dear jonas.thornvall:

wrote in message

I understand though that it give more comfort
beleiving that they were caused by asteroids.

I believe it is the vast quantity of soil upset, and the layer of
increased iridium that occurs about the time of the extinction
that makes them think that. *A GRB won't do that.

But whatever "Chicken Little" thing you want to want to waste
your creative thought on...

David A. Smith

As you know there been more then one great exstinction, and if you
think a star going nova in our neigbourhood will not affect us you
better think again.

What is childish is to think that asteroids who's course was set
billion of years ago hit us again and again. Most stellar body's have
had their course set billion of years
and the craters after asteroids on moon or earth did not happen during
time earth been inhabited.

We know of many big catastrophes on earth that both caused floods
earthquakes and during the last 10 000 years, that affected mankind
worldwide. Now if you want to blame these on asteroids you surely are
a fool.

And if you in fact conclude that the only reason for the upset soil
and Irdium is due to an Asteroid your not that brightest star on the
sky. A large disturbance of the electromagnetic field probably would
cause alot of havoc to the tectonal plates witch in turn would cause
earthquakes and vulcano activities to go skyrocket. And probably
totally darken our skies. Now you think again about what caused the
Iridium layer in the soil.

And then you think again about the connection between disturbances in
the electro magnetic field earthquakes, and what may cause the
disturbances.

And about your condescening chicken little theory i don't think you
have to worry, there noone here that from a intelligence perspective
can match me. Nor human nor bot
You may certainly be more knowledgable but i worry more about your
overall sheepish behaviour and squarelike thinking.

So save your patronising comments for someone who better needs them
like a bot "Well you go think about that one too". There is only one
bot in this thread but i guess you have not noticed.

Old July 13th 08, 07:53 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

wrote in message

| Sirius B evidently did go Nova 120 million years ago, it is only 8.6
| light years away how could anything on earth survived such a
| blast.....

A nuclear weapon exploded over Hiroshima, Japan, on 6th August, 1945.
How could anything in the USA have survived such a blast.....

| Krita started 146 milj ago and ended 86 milj years ago?
|
| Is this correct?

No.

Oh you are correct Androcles it was 65 miljon years ago
But the the Triassic–Jurassic extinction event marks the boundary
between the Triassic and Jurassic periods, 199.6 million years ago,
and is one of the major extinction events.

I do not know but i see the possibility for some doubts in carbon
dating, and also when it comes to put dates on events within
astronomy. I find it reasonably to beleive that Sirius B was cause to
the Triassic-Jurassic extinction.

Whoopee for you. yawn
Now prove it.
I find it reasonably to believe that bright green flying elephants lay
their
eggs in black holes but I do not know and I can't prove it... and you
are not really interested. Let's prove Santa Claus comes down chimneys
instead, we can both believe that one.- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

Well "SCIENTISTS" tells that if Betelgeuse goes Nova and if it's
rotational axis aligned our way we would be in very difficult position
and alot of life on earth would actually threatened. *It is 427
lightyears away.

Wikipedia:Betelgeuse
"Since its rotational axis is not toward the Earth, it is believed
that Betelgeuse's supernova would not cause a gamma ray burst in the
direction of Earth large enough to damage Earth's ecosystem even with
its relatively close proximity of 427 light years."

Stick around sci.physics and count the cranks. Some of them write
articles for wackypedia, the encyclopaedia any crank can write.
They like to call themselves "scientists".

Now ALDEBARAN is only 65 millions away and i have a feeling that if it
go Nova we are ****ed,
Now you prove me wrong and you will not find it that easy.

*You obviously missed my point about proof, son.
I don't have to prove you wrong, you have to prove you are
right. The burden of proof is upon the claimant.

I think you missed my point about plausibility, i am not interested in
proving things that can not be proven. It can not be proven that the
astreroid outside Yucatan caused the extinction.

In fact it is provable by mere statistic that the great extinction is
more plausible caused by a star going nova then an impact of an
asteroid.

If I say bright green flying elephants lay their eggs in black holes
it is up to me to prove it.

I do not see there is any reason for you to try to start to prove it,
so far no elephants layed eggs. But you can rest assured that more
than billions of planets been annhilated by novae.

Anyone can say anything they like but only
a fool would believe the nonsense.

Well if you think planets being annhilated by novae prove it.

Why do we require proof?
*Well, if someone accuses you of a crime you can be thrown in jail,
but the law and common sense requires that you be given a fair trial
and the accuser must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the
accusation is true.

Yes it is all about reasonable doubt, and it come out in favour of
electromagnetic disturbances caused by novae every time, when you
compare it with the plausibility for asteroid impacts.

I do not believe you.
Tough, isn't it?

Well the dark ages maybe really was the dark ages, but you would not
know. You only been around since 88. A little self inquiery maybe
would not hurt.

I didn't swallow your silly story, so what are you going to do about it?
Show me the proof. *I *don't have to prove you wrong, you have to
prove you are right.

No i do not since theories about the great extinction is not provable,
only plausible you would know that if you had higher IQ.

Scientists say you are wrong, is that good
enough a proof for you?

No actually is not.

I found that very easy.

Well if your into to sheepish thinking, it is easy to be a square and
follow into mainstream thinking.

I only care about what is most plausible, since no proofs is possible

Now who is ****ed?

The one with the *BOT* like behaviour, not the thinking programmer.

So if you have a better bet for the great extinctions then supernovas
tell me.

Bet? You want a wager? Put money up?
Ok, how much money will you deposit with a lawyer (because I'll match it)
and what are the rules for deciding the outcome?
*I bet you that I can do a better job of persuading people Aldeberan
will not go nova in my lifetime or yours than you can that it will, and

Well i am sure you can you have alot of mainstream scientist on your
side, it do not however make their story more plausible.

I bet you that you cannot prove the great extinctions were anything to
do with novae.
BTW, the plural of "nova" is "novae", not "novas". Otherwise we'd
be saying hippopotamuses instead of hippopotami.

You are correct again Androcles, and you can not prove that asteroids
cause them.
I do have the more plausible theory from a statistic perspective
though.

I do not find it unreasonable that asteroids caused the great
"extinctions", and i do not find it unreasonable that supernovas did
it either.

I do. It is very unreasonable and indeed childish to latch on to the first
thing you think of when the true answer is not known and may never be
known.

I guess you prefer to not know, and have no wish to find out the most
important issue in history of earth. I however really want to know i
look for plausible answers and when i found the most plausible answer
i kling to it until another more plausible shows up.

No asteroids is not more plausible.

If you want to be a scientist the first thing you must learn is
how to prove what you claim, or you will simply be laughed at.

I am not a scientist i am however a very sharp mind for sure the
sharpest you met.

I understand though that it give more comfort beleiving that they were
caused by asteroids.
Then you understand very little.- Dölj citerad text -

No actually i understand quite alot about the psyche.

- Visa citerad text -

Old July 13th 08, 12:36 PM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_8_]

wrote in message

| Sirius B evidently did go Nova 120 million years ago, it is only 8.6
| light years away how could anything on earth survived such a
| blast.....

A nuclear weapon exploded over Hiroshima, Japan, on 6th August, 1945.
How could anything in the USA have survived such a blast.....

| Krita started 146 milj ago and ended 86 milj years ago?
|
| Is this correct?

No.

Oh you are correct Androcles it was 65 miljon years ago
But the the Triassic–Jurassic extinction event marks the boundary
between the Triassic and Jurassic periods, 199.6 million years ago,
and is one of the major extinction events.

I do not know but i see the possibility for some doubts in carbon
dating, and also when it comes to put dates on events within
astronomy. I find it reasonably to beleive that Sirius B was cause to
the Triassic-Jurassic extinction.

Whoopee for you. yawn
Now prove it.
I find it reasonably to believe that bright green flying elephants lay
their
eggs in black holes but I do not know and I can't prove it... and you
are not really interested. Let's prove Santa Claus comes down chimneys
instead, we can both believe that one.- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

Well "SCIENTISTS" tells that if Betelgeuse goes Nova and if it's
rotational axis aligned our way we would be in very difficult position
and alot of life on earth would actually threatened. It is 427
lightyears away.

Wikipedia:Betelgeuse
"Since its rotational axis is not toward the Earth, it is believed
that Betelgeuse's supernova would not cause a gamma ray burst in the
direction of Earth large enough to damage Earth's ecosystem even with
its relatively close proximity of 427 light years."

Stick around sci.physics and count the cranks. Some of them write
articles for wackypedia, the encyclopaedia any crank can write.
They like to call themselves "scientists".

Now ALDEBARAN is only 65 millions away and i have a feeling that if it
go Nova we are ****ed,
Now you prove me wrong and you will not find it that easy.

You obviously missed my point about proof, son.
I don't have to prove you wrong, you have to prove you are
right. The burden of proof is upon the claimant.

I think you missed my point about plausibility, i am not interested
Nor am I. Goodbye.

*plonk*

Sirius! [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 16 September 1st 05 06:59 AM
Why is Sirius B hotter than Sirius A? me Astronomy Misc 7 April 18th 05 02:46 AM
sirius K Chadwick Misc 8 January 6th 05 09:29 PM
Sirius - C Bernard Isker Amateur Astronomy 2 February 15th 04 01:33 AM
Sirius-B starman Amateur Astronomy 18 February 14th 04 10:13 PM