ASTRO: NGC 2244 (Rosette nebula)

Old December 18th 06, 08:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 2244 (Rosette nebula)

I recently used a night with exceptionally good transparency to image the
Rosette nebula. My only previous attempts on this object were done with my
Canon EOS300D DSLR camera and some closeups with small CCD chips that only
got a small part of the nebula.
This time I used a 200mm f/3.5 lens and was quite surprised how bright this
object is when imaged with a "proper" CCD camera as it was tough with the
DSLR.

I will attach a "normal" version and a link to one where I used "drizzle
processing" in IRIS. The drizzled version shows more detail, but is also
noisier, so I reduced it's size (which was 2x original size) to 75% which
helped a bit. Unfortunately I lost one hour of data when the nebula was in
it's best position.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 200mm f/3.5 lens, SXV-H9 camera,
AStronomik 13nm Halpha filter, 30x5 minutes.

The images can also be found at
http://www.slilge.de/temp/2244-30x5gut.jpg
http://www.slilge.de/temp/2244-drizzle30x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2244-30x5gut.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	238
Old December 18th 06, 10:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Fabio

Very amazing picture!!!

You are encouraging me, i want to use a Sigma 150mm f2.8 using the SXVF-H9C
for the Rosette. I think that the FOV should be
a little more than yours having a less dimension of the nebula. But still
interesting.

How have you connected the H alfa filter to the staff ???

Thank you for the post.

Regards

Fabio Acquarone
Website: http://www.fabioh2o.it
Email :

Old December 18th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I like that one!

I don't have anything but the 3556 mm focal length so I'd need a few
dozen shots to get this one. In fact I have one on the hard drive but
it didn't look worth processing, just fuzz with a dark lane in it. When
the budget allows I'll have to get a good wide angle scope to put atop
the LX200R. I had the rings made so I can attach something up there
easily. The one kid still in College reports his computer died today
and is beyond fixing. There goes the budget for such a scope for now.

Rick

Old December 18th 06, 11:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Just noticed something. The Drizzle link goes to a larger image than
the non drizzle link yet you say the drizzle one has been reduced. Are
they mislabeled?

The posted image is the smaller one.

Rick

Old December 19th 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

Default modified drizzle: ASTRO: NGC 2244 (Rosette nebula)

nice shot of a nice target Stefan. It is a lot of fun putting a proper ccd
camera on a camera lens. The wideangle views are a lot of fun, even though
they are at low resolution. It is good enough to see the large scale
structure. The only difficulty I have is that the focusing can be
challenging because the stars are all so small to begin with!

---

I have been experimenting with a modified "drizzle" method myself

the DM has 24x24 micron pixels, 1K x 1K total. It gets great signal to
noise: it has very high QE and it gathers a lot of signal with the big
pixels. The trouble is that the resolution is low for the area covered

I have been expanding the calibrated images to 4K x 4K before aligning and
stacking.

I think that when you are undersampled but dithered, when you stack enough
images that are arbitrarily dithered and with bicubic and other such
resampling routines based on the centroids of the stars, that you can
effectively enhance resolution by stacking many such processed images.

The vdB142 image was so processed. After my stacking and initial
adjustments, I downsize to 2K x 2K for an effective 4Mpixels.

So the method is:
1) calibrate
2) upsize 4x4
3) register
4) stack
5) stretch, and process normally etc
6) downsize 2x2
7) finish

I need to do a more rigorous study as I am just beginning this set of
experiments. Preliminary results seem pretty nice but I will be the first to
admit I haven't made any serious attempt to do a controlled experiment

Old December 19th 06, 08:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

the drizzle process involves an increase of image size to 2x the original
size, so the "drizzled" version is the larger one even after a reduction to
75%.

Stefan

Old December 19th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Thanks Fabio.
I have a 1,25 inch filter which threads into a metal ring that can be put
into the M42 adaptor that connects the SXV-H9 with the M42 lens. I don't
remember where I got it from though.

Stefan

Old December 19th 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Fabio

Thanks Stefan..

Fabio Acquarone
Website: http://digilander.libero.it/fabioh2o

Old December 20th 06, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thanks for the explanation. Not having used Drizzle I wasn't all that
familiar with it. I just posted my partial shot of this nebula. Came
out far better than I thought it would.
Rick

Stefan Lilge wrote:

[...]

Correct domain name is arvig and it is net not com. Prefix is
correct. Third character is a zero rather than a capital "Oh".