Stars showing in moon photos

Old May 4th 05, 11:02 PM
Tim Epstein

Default Stars showing in moon photos

Following my earlier post, I've found a web site that I use to host photos.

See below for the scan of the colour transparancy of Aldrin next to the
flag, with several stars showing in the background.
http://img210.echo.cx/my.php?image=img1089sx.jpg

The image below is the original before enhancement. If you pull this down
and increase the fill light, the stars should show.

http://img147.echo.cx/my.php?image=img1098vz.jpg

Technical information.

This photo was taken from a 1969 colour 35mm transparancy slides (positive),
distributed by Nasa following the moon landings. These slides were purchased
by my parents at the time as a momento of the moon landing. I scanned using
an Epson 4990 Photo scanner (4.0 DMAX), with all digital correction and
enhancement disabled. The photo was saved as . JPG with at maximum quality
(compression at 1 out of 100). I scanned at an optical resolution of 3200
DPI, however the uploaded .JPG was resized to a maximum 2048 pixels in order
to fit the 1MB limit.

The link below shows a close up of the stars at full resolution.
http://img13.echo.cx/my.php?image=mooncloseup3qx.jpg

Regards,
Tim

Old May 4th 05, 11:39 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Tim Epstein
writes
[...]

Sadly, I suspect that the "stars" are just flaws in the slide. Your
picture is a reproduction of AS11-40-5874
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/.../html/as11_40_
5874.html, and while the high res image has its own flaws I just don't
see the stars that appear in yours.
There's an even better version at
http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/LARGE/GPN-2001-000012.jpg.
Old May 5th 05, 12:11 AM
Tim Epstein

Thanks for the link. That NASA image really makes mine look bad!

I'm embarrassed now, though I don't think the "stars" in my scan are flaws
on the slide - the colour and slight lack of focus make me doubt that.

Regards,
Tim

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
In message , Tim Epstein
writes

Old May 5th 05, 12:33 AM
Tim Epstein

--

Thanks again for the link. I downloaded the last image above from NASA and
increased the fill light in the same way as my scan. The "stars" appear to

See below for the enhancement of the NASA image.
http://img17.echo.cx/my.php?image=hires6ry.jpg

However, I agree that I should reserve judgement. These may well be
artifacts or imperfections. I certainly respect the fact that the NASA image
is far superior in quality to my scan. I'll leave it to the viewers to form
their own opinions.

Tim

Old May 9th 05, 04:16 PM
Brad Guth

Without much trouble one can identify stars that recorded better off
than within your selection. Somewhere I've copied a few and shared
those with no respect from the 'apollohoax' teams danage-control spooks
as they stalked and bashed topics and authors that do not 100% agree
with their NASA bible.

BTW; Why is SMART-1 still broken?
~

Basic township, bridge and Tarmac that's upon Venus:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-town.htm
My LSE-CM/ISS (Lunar Space Elevator):
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
Other topics by; Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat Astronomy Misc 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM
Incontrovertible Evidence Cash Astronomy Misc 1 August 24th 03 07:22 PM