Naive Q

Old October 27th 03, 08:30 PM
Ed L

Default Naive Q

I've been enjoying Stary Nights Backyard, which I recall was about 50 USD.
But I know this might be out of your range.

I know Stary Night Enthusiast is the lastest version, and I've got it
currently loaded on my system, but I'm not as pleased with it as I was with
Backyard.

I'm using Pocket Universe in it's free demo mode on my Pocket PC, and I
think that I'll get the full version after the holidays. You might find
this at 'Stellarmetrics'.

Good luck,

Ed L.

"Ioannis" wrote in message
I've been using a Mac for over 15 years and lately I've started fiddling
around with a Windows XP laptop, because I have to travel a bit and
money is short.

I am sure this is in the FAQ somewhere, but could someone post a link
with a couple of good Astronomy proggies (freeware/shareware)?

Nothing as fancy as computer control tracking. Just basic magnitude 8-9
star charts, COLORED stars (with types), planetary phases, running in
real time and as many side options as possible, such as twinkle sky,
night mode, and DSO lists (NGC AND M), at least down to magnitude 10-11,
for Windows XP.

Had I continued to use a Mac, I'd probably go with MPj Astro's OSX
upgrade, but unfortunately money prevents me from doing that.

I basically want to carry my laptop with me to the islands and use it as
a star-chart, but would appreciate any add-on goodies.

Thanks very much in advance.
--
Ioannis
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/

Old October 27th 03, 08:35 PM
Jon Isaacs

I am sure this is in the FAQ somewhere, but could someone post a link
with a couple of good Astronomy proggies (freeware/shareware)?

Try Cartes du Ciel, an amazing freeware program. Lots of database one can use
with CdC.

www.astrosurf.com/astropc

jon
Old October 27th 03, 08:41 PM
Klaatu

http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/astro/software.html
http://www.planetary.org/html/links/...-software.html

Old October 27th 03, 08:50 PM
Edward

"Klaatu" wrote in message

http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/astro/software.html
http://www.planetary.org/html/links/...-software.html

And this one:

http://astrotips.com/index.php

Ed

Old October 27th 03, 10:40 PM
Rod Mollise

I've started fiddling
around with a Windows XP laptop, because I have to travel a bit and
money is short.

Hi:

Cartes du Ciel. In many ways the best of the planetariums at any price, and
it's FREE! Go get it, slugger...you won't be sorry! :-)

http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

Oh, f you need assistance in getting it running and configured and
understanding what it can do, there's a Yahoo group devoted to it:

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old October 28th 03, 11:29 AM
Ioannis

Rod Mollise wrote:

I've started fiddling
around with a Windows XP laptop, because I have to travel a bit and
money is short.

Hi:

Cartes du Ciel. In many ways the best of the planetariums at any price, and
it's FREE! Go get it, slugger...you won't be sorry! :-)

http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

Oh, f you need assistance in getting it running and configured and
understanding what it can do, there's a Yahoo group devoted to it:

Thanx to all. I will try Cartes du Ciel, since it has a Greek version as
well, as soon as I configure some sort of firewall on my laptop and can
connect to the net.

Happy observing!

Old October 28th 03, 02:12 PM
Al Arduengo

"Hallo Northern Sky" or HNSKY is pretty nice, too. And I think it is quite a bit
faster than CdC as well as the smaller footprint it has.

-Al

Ioannis writes:

Rod Mollise wrote:

[...]

~/.signature