Can and if so, will, Orion use Soyuz docking port on ISS?

Old May 14th 09, 12:05 AM posted to sci.space.tech
David Spain

Default Can and if so, will, Orion use Soyuz docking port on ISS?

Subject says it all.

And if the answer to the first part is no, why?

Dave

Old May 14th 09, 08:29 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Jorge R. Frank

David Spain wrote:
Subject says it all.

And if the answer to the first part is no, why?

No.

Orion will use LIDS, a lightweight adapter originally designed for X-38.

The US has never used the Soyuz docking mechanism for anything. The
shuttle uses APAS, another Russian docking mechanism, to dock to ISS.

Purchasing Russian docking mechanisms after the end of 2011 would
require NASA to obtain an INKSNA waiver from Congress. So NASA has
standardized the Constellation program on the LIDS mechanism, which is
US-designed and built.

Old May 14th 09, 08:30 AM posted to sci.space.tech
David Spain

David Spain wrote:
Subject says it all.

And if the answer to the first part is no, why?

Dave

I'll start it off. One reason I can think of may be that assuming
Soyuz continues to be used as the 'lifeboat' it's docking port
would not be free for Orion to use. Orion would have to use what
the Shuttle uses. -OR- Orion would have to occupy the port used by
a Progress.

How many docking ports are on the ISS? And what are their configurations?

Dave

Old May 14th 09, 08:30 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Derek Lyons

David Spain wrote:

Subject says it all.

And if the answer to the first part is no, why?

Dave

No, because Orion uses a different docking mechanism.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Old May 14th 09, 01:36 PM posted to sci.space.tech
David Spain

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:
Purchasing Russian docking mechanisms after the end of 2011 would require
NASA to obtain an INKSNA waiver from Congress. So NASA has standardized the
Constellation program on the LIDS mechanism, which is US-designed and built.

Thanks Jorge...

Dave

Old May 14th 09, 03:20 PM posted to sci.space.tech
David Spain

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:
Orion will use LIDS, a lightweight adapter originally designed for X-38.

The US has never used the Soyuz docking mechanism for anything. The shuttle
uses APAS, another Russian docking mechanism, to dock to ISS.

So I'm left confused, sorry. Is LIDS compatible with APAS? If not, will a
new docking port have to be added to accommodate Orion?

Dave

Old May 14th 09, 10:39 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Derek Lyons

David Spain wrote:

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:
Orion will use LIDS, a lightweight adapter originally designed for X-38.

The US has never used the Soyuz docking mechanism for anything. The shuttle
uses APAS, another Russian docking mechanism, to dock to ISS.

So I'm left confused, sorry. Is LIDS compatible with APAS? If not, will a
new docking port have to be added to accommodate Orion?

IIRC An adapter will be launched that will attach to one of the PMA's
to provide a 'sex change' between APAS and LIDS.

D.

Old May 15th 09, 03:27 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Jorge R. Frank

David Spain wrote:
David Spain wrote:
Subject says it all.

And if the answer to the first part is no, why?

Dave

I'll start it off. One reason I can think of may be that assuming
Soyuz continues to be used as the 'lifeboat' it's docking port
would not be free for Orion to use. Orion would have to use what
the Shuttle uses. -OR- Orion would have to occupy the port used by
a Progress.

Orion will use the shuttle ports. They will either be fitted with an
APAS To LIDS Adapter System (ATLAS) or the PMAs will be replaced
completely with a CBM-LIDS Adapter System (CLAS). There is absolutely no
need for Orion to use the Soyuz system.

How many docking ports are on the ISS? And what are their configurations?

2 APAS on PMA-2 and PMA-3 (shuttle)
1 hybrid probe & drogue on Zvezda (MRM-2)
3 standard probe & drogue on Zarya, Pirs, and Zvezda (Soyuz, Progress, ATV)

Old May 15th 09, 03:28 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Jorge R. Frank

Derek Lyons wrote:
David Spain wrote:

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:
Orion will use LIDS, a lightweight adapter originally designed for X-38.

The US has never used the Soyuz docking mechanism for anything. The shuttle
uses APAS, another Russian docking mechanism, to dock to ISS.

So I'm left confused, sorry. Is LIDS compatible with APAS? If not, will a
new docking port have to be added to accommodate Orion?

IIRC An adapter will be launched that will attach to one of the PMA's
to provide a 'sex change' between APAS and LIDS.

That is one possibility, and the one that is currently the baseline:
APAS To LIDS Adapter System (ATLAS).

The other possibility is replacing the PMAs altogether with a CBM-LIDS
Adapter System (CLAS).

Old May 15th 09, 06:21 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Derek Lyons

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

How many docking ports are on the ISS? And what are their configurations?

2 APAS on PMA-2 and PMA-3 (shuttle)
1 hybrid probe & drogue on Zvezda (MRM-2)
3 standard probe & drogue on Zarya, Pirs, and Zvezda (Soyuz, Progress, ATV)

Will HTV be berthed on a PMA or directly on a CBM?

D.