What is the attachment policy for this news group?

Old May 4th 04, 05:23 PM
Bob Henry

Default What is the attachment policy for this news group?

I just sent you an innocent Screen Shot - in JPEG format - of my current
WU because it had an interesting trough appearing in the graph at the
bottom. I briefly saw the post appear in the list, but, it has since
disappeared from the list.

Is that because this news group does not accept any attachments,
regardless of format? How could a JPEG format attachment cause
problems? If so, how can I send the info to the scientists? I'm almost
sure they would like to see it.

Bob Henry

Old May 4th 04, 06:34 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message ysPlc.30795$0H1.2562985@attbi_s54, Bob Henry
writes
I just sent you an innocent Screen Shot - in JPEG format - of my
current WU because it had an interesting trough appearing in the graph
at the bottom. I briefly saw the post appear in the list, but, it has
since disappeared from the list.

Is that because this news group does not accept any attachments,
regardless of format? How could a JPEG format attachment cause
problems? If so, how can I send the info to the scientists? I'm
almost sure they would like to see it.

You'll find that all non-binary newsgroups reject binary (e.g. picture)
attachments, and you may even be breaking the terms and conditions of
your own ISP. Old-fashioned, perhaps, in these days of broadband but the
rules are still there and many people don't have broadband. Your best
bet would be to put the picture on a web site if you have one or know
someone who does, or post to a binary group -
alt.binaries.pictures.astro, perhaps. They may say "not interested" but
they might be able to help.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!

Old May 6th 04, 06:44 PM
Jan Knutar

Bob Henry wrote:

I just sent you an innocent Screen Shot - in JPEG format - of my current
WU because it had an interesting trough appearing in the graph at the
bottom. I briefly saw the post appear in the list, but, it has since
disappeared from the list.

Attachments are probably filtered by most newsservers. It took two days for
that picture to find its way through usenet to one of the newsservers my
leafnode setup pulls from, for example.

Is that because this news group does not accept any attachments,
regardless of format?

Yes.

How could a JPEG format attachment cause
problems?

Because it's significantly larger (over 1800 lines when encoded to text as
the attaching does), than other traffic.

If so, how can I send the info to the scientists? I'm almost
sure they would like to see it.

Any results from work units are automatically sent back to Seti@home when
you connect the next time and retrieve the next work unit.

I don't think this particular unit is that interesting though; the base
frequency is exactly 1.42Ghz. I seem to remember there were test signals of
various form in the data, 1.42Ghz sounds like a nice round number to put it
at. Setimon attempts to identify such signals (google or look at the links
pages at seti@home's homepage for setimon).