ASTRO: NGC 1313 from Namibia

Old October 17th 09, 06:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 1313 from Namibia

NGC 1313 is probably the weirdest galaxy I have seen so far, so it was high
on my list of "must" objects for Namibia.
The camera was tilted a bit in the Crayford focuser, which compromised the
sharpness of the image.

Taken from Kiripotib farm in Namibia with a Meade 10" ACF scope at f/7.2 on
Vixen New Atlux Mount, SXV-H9 camera, 15x10 Minutes for Lum, 3x10 minutes
each for RGB.

The image can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/1313colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1313colourgut.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	2649
Old October 17th 09, 08:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
NGC 1313 is probably the weirdest galaxy I have seen so far, so it was high
on my list of "must" objects for Namibia.
The camera was tilted a bit in the Crayford focuser, which compromised the
sharpness of the image.

Taken from Kiripotib farm in Namibia with a Meade 10" ACF scope at f/7.2 on
Vixen New Atlux Mount, SXV-H9 camera, 15x10 Minutes for Lum, 3x10 minutes
each for RGB.

The image can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/1313colourgut.jpg

Stefan

That's one screwed up spiral. I was wondering if it was on your list.
Sure one I'd love to work on. You picked up some of the HII regions.
They are more muted than I'd have expected.

Literature of this one is as messy as the galaxy. One says the center
of rotation is displaced a bit over a minute of arc in one direction
while another has it displaced a similar distance but in the opposite
direction. Yet another says it is centered in the nucleus. All seem to
see it as intermediate between a spiral and a Magellanic Irregular. I
see nothing in the area that could have reacted with it other than maybe
ESO 115- G 021 which is a interesting edge on spiral about 6-7 degrees
away but at about the same distance. Maybe it is a merger. In any case
it is interesting!

Rick

Old October 18th 09, 03:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

that is an interesting target

at -66 declination there's no way to do it from northern calif...