ARP 276 buried in Cirrus

Old October 17th 09, 11:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ARP 276 buried in Cirrus

Sometimes an image turns out very differently than you expect. This
certainly is one of those. I never suspected the galaxy was ringed by
galactic cirrus. I saw a hint of it in the raw files as they came in.
Only the brightest part showed however and looked like a reflection. So
when I stacked and calibrated the images it came as a shock to find the
field full of the Integrated Flux Nebula.

Arp 276 consists of two galaxies which are barely showing signs of
interaction. Since we can't see them in 3D its possible one is well in
front of the other such that gravitational interaction is minimal. Some
distortion of the southern galaxy's NE end is evident but that's about
it. Radio data shows these to be rather normal galaxies giving little
hint of a collision in progress from what I found. Arp notes; "Both
intersecting edges seem dimmed." Hard to say if that's due to anything
more than one obscuring the other. I'd like to see spectral data for
the overlap region.

The northern galaxy is NGC 0935 classed as Scd. The southern is IC
1801, an SBb galaxy. Red shift shows it slightly in front of NGC 0935
but this is not a reliable indicator. The pair is about 175-180 million
light-years away by red shift data. Each galaxy has hosted a super
nova. SN 2006F was seen in NGC 0935 and SN 1976 was seen 30 years
earlier in IC 1801.

This region hasn't been surveyed by the SDSS. The group is in central
Aries so returning to night sky. I need to redo it with a lot more
exposure time to pick up the integrated flux a lot better than I did
with my normal rather limited exposure time. NED shows only a dozen
other galaxies in my image, none of which has any red shift data.

Some with wider field and faster telescopes than mine might want to take
some really deep images of this area and find the extent of this portion
of the IFN. My system is too narrow field for such a task.

Arp's image:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp276.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP276L4X10RGB2X10X3r.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	2650
Old October 18th 09, 09:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Kev Lawrence

"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...

Rick, minor point but you've missed the ASTRO
Kev

Old October 18th 09, 06:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Kev Lawrence wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote in message
. com...

Rick, minor point but you've missed the ASTRO
Kev

Thanks. After the grandkids left I turned off the filter so didn't
catch it.

Rick