Shuttle's destiny

Old October 17th 05, 06:32 PM
Mika Takala

Default Shuttle's destiny

Correct me if I'm wrong: just two Burans were built. One is rotting in a
hangar at Baikonur, and the other was sold (in Australia).

2 complete ones and several in various stages of being built

The Buran that flew the unmanned flight in space, was destroyed or at least
badly damaged when its hangar roof collapsed in Baikonur during 2001 or
2002. The Energia booster was also destroyed. We haven't seen any pics of
the amount of damage post-recovery efforts...

The Buran Analogue, the one with the jet engines at the rear which was used
in various landing test flights, is the one sold to australia, and then
shipped to the middle east and is now rotting in desert (i think).

One Buran mockup is in some park in Moscow.

Are there any more Burans?

--
Mika Takala

Old October 17th 05, 06:41 PM
David Bate

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:19:30 -0400, Marko Horvat
wrote:

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"Marko Horvat" wrote in message
If I recall correctly former SSSR's shuttle Buran was sold in
Australia to a private company as an attraction for sideshows. And
the price was completely symbolic and utterly disproportional to the
actual price of the Buran project

It wasn't the flight model.

Correct me if I'm wrong: just two Burans were built. One is rotting in a
hangar at Baikonur, and the other was sold (in Australia).

Nope there were 5 built for flight and atleast 5 built as static models.

- Buran 1.01 - Was the one that flew, but was destroyed in the
hangercollapse in 2002.

- Buran 1.02 - Was virtually fully completed when the Buran-Energia
program's funding was cut. It is now the property of Kazakhstan after a
space shuttle for credit agreeement and is presently in secured storage.

- Buran 2.01 - The first of the 'second' series of Burans, these Buran
utilised minor tweaks and improvements gained from the flight of Buran
1.01 and construction of Buran 1.02 and is presently in a museum.

- Buran 2.02 - The fourth Buran space capable orbiter under construction.
She was the second of the newer series of space capable Buran orbiters
being built. At the time of the halting of the Buran-Energia program,
Buran 2.02 was under construction on the factory floor at the Tushino
Machine Building Plant just outside of Moscow. Presently dismantled.

- Buran 2.03 - Buran 2.03 was the latest model of the second series of
space capable Burans, and the fifth space capable Buran being built
overall at the Tushino Machine Building Plant in Moscow. Worked stopped
and she was subsequently dismantled and destroyed. Today nothing much
remains of Buran 2.03.

- OK-GLI (BST-02) - The Russian equivalent to the American Enterprise
shuttle flight tester. Unlike the Enterprise, however, which was launched
from a converted 747, OK-GLI was outfitted with turbojet engines, so it
could take off and land just like any other plane. Presently on display in
Germany.

- OK-TVA - OK-TVA was subjected to loads tests on the nose, wings,
vertical stabilizer, elevons, balance. The test rig could apply 8000 kN of
force horizontally and 2000 kN vertically and took the airframe to 90% of
design load limits, which were 1.3X anticipated life limit load.
Presently retire to Gorky Park.

- OK-M (later became OK-ML-1) - Serving as a parts tester, was also used
in normal temperature static loads tests, to determine the eventual space
capable Buran obiter's moment of inertia, and to test payload mass
mock-ups. After this work was completed it was redesignated OK-ML-1 and
flown to Baikonur on the 3M-T and used for interface tests (horizontal and
vertical) with the launch vehicle. Retired near Area 254 at Baikonur.

- OK-MT (later became OK-ML-2) - OK-MT was originally built to be used for
technological development and mock-up duties in Moscow. Presently can be
found at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in the MIK Building along with the second
Buran space orbiter 'Ptitcka'.

- OK-KS (003) - OK-KS was used for complex electronic and electric tests
and mock-up duties. This was supplemented by the KEI electronic system
test stand. The OK-KS was also used for EMI tests. This mock-up remains at
the Energia factory in Korolev and can still be seen there today.

Info from
http://www.k26.com/buran/Future/ener...re_are_th.html

Dave...
Old October 17th 05, 06:56 PM
Marko Horvat

Thanks for the info!

5 Burans built... wow... no wonder Russian space program couldn't
financially handle the break-up of Soviet Union.

Now compare this with building 4 + 1 Shuttles over 10 years.

Old October 18th 05, 01:59 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Marko Horvat" wrote in message
Thanks for the info!

5 Burans built... wow... no wonder Russian space program couldn't
financially handle the break-up of Soviet Union.

Now compare this with building 4 + 1 Shuttles over 10 years.

Well, really a bit more.

OV-101 Enterprise
OV-102 Columbia
OV-103 Discovery
OV-104 Atlantis
OV-105 Endeavour
and STA-099-OV-099 Challenger

So really 6.

(Enterprise was basically built to the Columbia standards, but wasn't fully
equipped, but original plans had it being converted to flight ready status.)

(Note I'm leaving out MPTA-098 which really wasn't much of a shuttle really,
despite later cosmetic appearance.

Old October 18th 05, 06:54 PM
Marko Horvat

Nope. 5. You've said "OK-GLI (BST-02) was the Russian equivalent to the
American Enterprise shuttle flight tester". So there are really 5 true
aerospace Shuttles, omitting Enterprise. Right? If we take into account
Enterprise we must take into account BST-02 as well. So then it would be 6
Burans - 5 Shuttles.

Old October 18th 05, 09:22 PM

Marko Horvat wrote:
Nope. 5. You've said "OK-GLI (BST-02) was the Russian equivalent to the
American Enterprise shuttle flight tester". So there are really 5 true
aerospace Shuttles, omitting Enterprise. Right? If we take into account
Enterprise we must take into account BST-02 as well. So then it would be 6
Burans - 5 Shuttles.

Well, those 5 were fully built. And they flew -- that's what counts.
What if we start counting how many people were employed in the airspace
industry? I wouldn't be surprised if russians had twice as many people
in buran project compared to shuttle.