Conversion of Heat into Work in Violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics

Old March 23rd 17, 01:09 PM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Default Conversion of Heat into Work in Violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics

Consider a constant-charge parallel-plate capacitor with a polarized SOLID dielectric between the plates:

http://www.gsjournal.net/old/valev/val1.gif

Since the molecules of the dielectric material are polarized, they generate an electric field which counteracts the original field and so reduces the voltage between the plates. On the other hand, the attraction between the plates increases (the polarization obviously reinforces the original attraction).

If the dielectric is LIQUID and the plates are totally immersed in it, the attraction between the plates surprisingly decreases, due to a pressure that emerges in the space between the plates:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teachin...es/node46.html
"However, in experiments in which a capacitor is submerged in a dielectric liquid the force per unit area exerted by one plate on another is observed to decrease... [...] This apparent paradox can be explained by taking into account the difference in liquid pressure in the field filled space between the plates and the field free region outside the capacitor."

We have a high pressure between the plates and a lower pressure outside the capacitor so if we punch a small hole in one of the plates, there will be an ETERNAL FLOW through the hole, from inside (between the plates) to outside. In other words, we will have a SYSTEM IN DYNAMIC EQUILIBRIUM. The eternal flow can be harnessed to do work, in violation of the second law of thermodynamics.

The system can violate the second law in a more traditional way. If the plates of the capacitor are only partially immersed, the pressure between them pushes the liquid upwards:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
I. BREVIK, EXPERIMENTS IN PHENOMENOLOGICAL ELECTRODYNAMICS AND THE ELECTROMAGNETIC ENERGY-MOMENTUM TENSOR, pp. 143-144: "We shall first give some supplementary comments on the well known situation shown in fig. 1, where two parallel condenser plates are partially immersed in a dielectric liquid. When a horizontal electric field E is applied between the plates, the liquid will rise within the condenser to some equilibrium height h."

http://www.academia.edu/25650739/Flu..._and_stability
I. Brevik, Fluids in electric and magnetic fields: Pressure variation and stability, Can. J . Phys. (1982): "Fig. 1. Two charged condenser plates partly immersed in a dielectric liquid. [...] Fig. 2. The hydrostatic pressure variation from point 1 to point 5 in Fig. 1."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHNwvfXUYb4
Rise in Liquid Level Between Plates of a Capacitor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6KAH1JpdPg
Liquid Dielectric Capacitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACDxurDAmyg
Chapter 11.6.2: Force on a liquid dielectric

But the rising dielectric liquid can do useful work, e.g. by lifting some floating weight, and the crucial question is: At the expense of what energy is the work done? Since, by switching the field on and off, we do no work on the system, the energy supplier can only be the ambient heat. That is, the system can cyclically lift floating weights at the expense of heat absorbed from the surroundings, in violation of the second law of thermodynamics.

Let me try to explain the molecular mechanism behind the effect. When two opposite charges (or capacitor plates) are immersed in a dielectric liquid, e.g. water, some additional pressure emerges between them, pushes them apart and so counteracts their electrostatic attraction. If the plates are vertical and only partially immersed, the pressure forces the liquid between the plates to rise above the surface of the pool:

http://www.gsjournal.net/old/valev/val2.gif

If it were not for the indicated (with an arrow) dipole, other dipoles in the picture are perfectly polarized as if there were no thermal motion. Of course, this is an oversimplification – thermal motion is a factor which constantly disturbs the polarization order. However the crucial point is that, as can be inferred from the picture, any thermal disturbance contributes to the creation of a pressure between the plates. Consider the indicated dipole. It has just received a strong thermal stroke and undergone rotation. As a result, it pushes adjacent dipoles electrostatically, towards the plates. Macroscopically, the sum of all such disturbances is expressed as a pressure exerted on the plates. One can also say, somewhat roughly, that the indicated dipole has absorbed heat and now, by pushing adjacent dipoles, is trying to convert it into work.

In general terms, electric fields manage to channel the chaotic thermal motion into a macroscopically expressed force capable of doing macroscopic work. Here is an amazing illustration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17UD1goTFhQ
"The Formation of the Floating Water Bridge including electric breakdowns"

The eternal motion is driven by heat absorbed from the surroundings. This heat eventually returns to the surroundings, due to friction. However the eternal motion can be harnessed - then heat absorbed from the surroundings will be converted into work, in violation of the second law of thermodynamics..

Pentcho Valev
Old March 23rd 17, 10:22 PM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

"pH sensitive or pH responsive polymers are materials which will respond to the changes in the pH of the surrounding medium by varying their dimensions. Such materials increase its size (swell) or collapse depending on the pH of their environment." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH-sensitive_polymers

The work-producing cycle is easy to imagine. The experimentalist adds hydrogen ions to the system - the polymer swells or contracts and does work in the process - e.g. lifts a weight. The experimentalist removes the same amount of hydrogen ions from the system - the polymer resumes its initial state and a new cycle can begin.

The second law of thermodynamics is violated unless the experimentalist, in adding hydrogen ions to the system and then removing them, does (wastes) more work than the work gained as the polymer lifts the weight. However electrochemists know that, if both adding and removing are performed reversibly, the net work involved is zero (the experimentalist gains work if the hydrogen ions are transported from a high to a low concentration but then loses the same amount of work in the backward transport).

Reversible transport of ions is slow, which is one of the reasons why the cycle is technologically useless. Yet, fundamentally, we have a perpetual-motion device of the second kind par excellence.

Pentcho Valev
Old March 24th 17, 09:46 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

A time crystal incompatible with the second law of thermodynamics:

"The water movement is bidirectional, i.e., it simultaneously flows in both directions... [...] There is practically nothing ordinary about the water in an active floating bridge, and this is no esoteric experiment, as the strength and shape of the electric field we apply in the water bridge is nearly ubiquitous throughout nature. It turns out that if we examine the electric fields present in nature, such as those in living cells, around soil particles, or in clouds, we find that the field strengths are on the same order of magnitude - megavolts per meter. Which incidentally is the same in the water bridge, not to mention inside many electrochemical and biochemical fuel cells that are now being used to develop the next generation of resource recovery technologies. Megavolts per meter seems to be this kind of universal constant of field strength in aqueous systems. It's such an enticing observation that, during my defense, one of my opponents made a point to ask whether I thought this was just a coincidence or indicated some deeper truth that we are as yet unaware. Of course I had to answer the latter, as I am a firm believer that nature is quite deliberate in its construction and there are really no accidents. [...] The floating water bridge is a long-lost piece of the puzzle in understanding why water is such an unusual substance. What we had missed was that, in liquids there exists an intrinsic disequilibrium which continuously drives the system around within a big basin of possible configurations; and water is again exceptional. When we apply the electric field, we perturb the dynamics and change the shape of the attractor basin. This in turn changes the flow of energy through the system and may even liberate stored energy that is inaccessible when the liquid is in the ground state." https://www.wetsus.nl/home/wetsus-ne...n-innovation/1

The "stored energy" that was "inaccessible" and is now "liberated" is environmental heat. We have a fundamental mechanism of utilization of environmental heat that could change everything in science. The video again:

Old March 24th 17, 05:59 PM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Schemes of pH-responsive perpetual-motion devices of the second kind:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._mechanism.jpg

http://www.gsjournal.net/old/valev/val3.gif

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00645-0017.pdf
A. KATCHALSKY, POLYELECTROLYTES AND THEIR BIOLOGICAL INTERACTIONS, p. 15, Figure 4: "Polyacid gel in sodium hydroxide solution: expanded. Polyacid gel in acid solution: contracted; weight is lifted."

Pentcho Valev