A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Others » Misc
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Old November 3rd 16, 08:27 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Another nicer than expected day here in Gresham. Sun is out and it is not raining. Currently 57F here as of high noon. No wind.

Had a nice lunch with Kim yesterday at the buffet. Then home to watch the final game of the World Series, and finish off the Halloween candy! First time in years I've had a television to watch the Series on!

A Gresham homeless man got a short ride in a Waste Management truck when the dumpster he was sleeping in was dumped into the truck! Fortunately the driver heard him screaming and got him out! The housing crises in the Portland area is never ending!

There was talk of converting a county jail, that our brilliant politicians spent $58 million to build in 2004 but have never used, into a shelter for the homeless. A guy made an offer to buy it for $9 million, and it was being considered the the county commission, but he backed out now at the last minute. What a fiasco!

They have a new security guard here at the library, and he seems like a nice enough guy. I'm glad the woman guard the used to have is gone. She was a strict old witch!

There is an article in the current Portland Tribune "Can the local election be rigged?" I arrived at the library a little while before it opened today. One of the guys waiting outside the library reported that he saw one person alone picked up a ballot box from the library! State law requires that two people must be present for all election tasks, so they can watch each other. That ballot box might have ended up in a local swamp for all anybody knows!

And the beat goes on!

Double-A

Old November 4th 16, 08:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

An Indian summer-like day here in Gresham. Sun is shining, dry, calm, no need for a coat! Currently 63F as of 11:45 AM. Expected high 65F.

The election is almost upon us. Unfortunately the opponents may not fight fair. As Joseph Stalin reportedly said, "I don't need to control how the people vote so long as I can control the people who count the votes." In our high tech day and age it means hacking. It will be hacker vs. hacker! Sadly it just may be that whichever candidate has the best hackers wins!

Last night I met Kim at the Gresham Transit Center. There were a bunch of Transit Police there milling around intend of checking the tickets of people getting off the MAX trains. I sat down on a bench in the boarding area. One train stopped, but Kim was not on it. Because I didn't get on that train, a giant of an officers seized upon the opportunity to come over and ask me what I was doing there. I showed him my monthly pass, because I knew I was supposed to have a ticket or pass to be in that area. I told him I was waiting for someone coming on a train. He then told me that was not supposed to be in that area unless I were actually either getting on to or off of a train! So I had to move outside the fence, where there was no bench, and stand there! The jack booted thug! Getting off on enforcing silly and pedantic rules! It's not like anyone else was there who needed the bench. I only know of one other MAX station that even has such a restricted boarding area.

The workman are really energetically now pursuing their construction effort building the Dutch Brothers Coffee Shop in my backyard! They cut low standing trees yesterday which lets much more light into my apartment. Not so gloomy anymore. I can read without even turning on a light! But now they took out a section of the fence which should have been on my landlord's property. Not much privacy left. Saw our manager walk through, so it must be OK. We will see how it ends up.

Double-A

Old November 5th 16, 08:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

The rainy season has returned. 54F and raining as of 12 noon PDT here in Gresham. Overcast and calm. Looks like a break in the rain after tomorrow.

I was glad to see they put the fence back up in my back yard. The workers on the Dutch Bros. project are putting in a rate Saturday effort today. Must be they are getting behind schedule. Can't wait for my first cup of Dutch Bros. coffee!

I saw another business closing on the way to the library. A car stereo place. The Farmers' Market is closed for the winter. But that's seasonal.

My friend Janet has sent me a couple emails. Seems she spent some days in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico during October.

Double-A

Old November 6th 16, 10:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

A most pleasant autumn afternoon here in Gresham. Completely calm and the rain has stopped. Lots of leave in the streets. Currently 59F as of 1:00 PM PST (yes PST!). Got my clocks set back. Had to replace the battery in one. The time change will serve to set back the election by one hour!

I worry about the squirrel that lives in the tree out back. I'm sure he found food in the field they have dug up for the Dutch Brothers Coffee Shop, and now it's gone! The local cat has an uncertain future too. One neighbor seemed to be feeding it, but not now. The lady who used to feed it moved out.

Double-A

Old November 7th 16, 09:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

Sun shining through partial overcast here in Gresham. East wind 15 mph. Temperature a pleasant 61F as 0f 12:45 PM PST.

Cars are circling through the parking lot here dropping off their ballots at a drive by ballot box outside. Tomorrow night we will know their verdict!

My old alma mater Portland State Vikings were the only Oregon team to win a game over the weekend, beating UC Davis 51-29, but they get practically no local coverage! They are the Rodney Dangerfield of Oregon football.

Double-A

Old November 7th 16, 10:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 12:58:12 PM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
Sun shining through partial overcast here in Gresham. East wind 15 mph. Temperature a pleasant 61F as 0f 12:45 PM PST.

Cars are circling through the parking lot here dropping off their ballots at a drive by ballot box outside. Tomorrow night we will know their verdict!

My old alma mater Portland State Vikings were the only Oregon team to win a game over the weekend, beating UC Davis 51-29, but they get practically no local coverage! They are the Rodney Dangerfield of Oregon football.

Double-A

McDonalds workers that have Nov 8 off are helping me at the pools.I'm at the busy one Civic Center for 11 hours.Be a long day. I have my odds at 6 to 1. Not good but still a chance. No rain here. Nice bright day. I read 80 million will not vote WOW. Its not the America I grew up in. Its Mexiameria.Press 1 for Spainish. Trebert
Old November 8th 16, 08:33 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 1:54:27 PM UTC-8, Herbert Glazier wrote:

McDonalds workers that have Nov 8 off are helping me at the pools.I'm at the busy one Civic Center for 11 hours.Be a long day. I have my odds at 6 to 1. Not good but still a chance. No rain here. Nice bright day. I read 80 million will not vote WOW. Its not the America I grew up in. Its Mexiameria.Press 1 for Spainish. Trebert

Such a nice day! Clear skies, sunny, barely a breeze. Temp 60 as of 11:30 AM PDT here in Gresham. Truly Indian Summer! Or may it's more proof of global warming!

This is the day we have all been waiting for for the last 2 years! Election 2016! This is the day that will determine our future! Sadly the only likely outcomes are whether we are fated to die by the fiery Donald Trump, or the ice queen Hillary Clinton!

Maybe I should think more seriously about retiring to New Zealand!

Double-A

Old November 10th 16, 12:39 AM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 11:33:42 AM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:

Such a nice day! Clear skies, sunny, barely a breeze. Temp 60 as of 11:30 AM PDT here in Gresham. Truly Indian Summer! Or may it's more proof of global warming!

This is the day we have all been waiting for for the last 2 years! Election 2016! This is the day that will determine our future! Sadly the only likely outcomes are whether we are fated to die by the fiery Donald Trump, or the ice queen Hillary Clinton!

Double-A

I lost but made 1270 friends.Very warm about 90 and not a cloud Wind at 5 knots. All my signs in dumpster.New M&M's going up. Trebert
Old November 10th 16, 09:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 3:39:35 PM UTC-8, Herbert Glazier wrote:
On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 11:33:42 AM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:

Double-A

I lost but made 1270 friends.Very warm about 90 and not a cloud Wind at 5 knots. All my signs in dumpster.New M&M's going up. Trebert

Another exact same day.Hot and bright Sun.90f Amazing. New M&M signs on van look good.I have 1270 new customers,and they are spreading the word."LIVE LONGER WITH M&M FILTERS THAT KILL VIRUS" O Ya Trebert
Old November 10th 16, 09:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 1:00:16 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
Temperature has been flatlining here in Gresham. Currently 58F as of 1:00 PM PDT. Lifht rain this AM. But expecting a little warmer the next couple days.

Got the number of the guy Kim knows running fast food in Hawaii. When she brought me food yesterday, I gave her that information. This could be the start of our fast food empire here in Oregon!

Double-A