Mars flyover from orbiter images.

Old March 22nd 17, 06:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

Default Mars flyover from orbiter images.

What it says on the tin:

https://vimeo.com/207076450

Stunning!
Old March 23rd 17, 02:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 10:45:12 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
What it says on the tin:

https://vimeo.com/207076450

Stunning!

I agree, stunning!

\Paul A
Old March 23rd 17, 04:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
BogeyOne

Chris.B wrote:

What it says on the tin:

https://vimeo.com/207076450

Stunning

Yes stunning and completely desolate and forbidding and remote. A
human colony there one day? I think not.
Old March 23rd 17, 04:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 10:45:12 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
What it says on the tin:

https://vimeo.com/207076450

Stunning!

So, where are the Martians?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...c2d09c4238.jpg
Old March 23rd 17, 06:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 04:40:53 UTC+1, BogeyOne wrote:

Yes stunning and completely desolate and forbidding and remote. A
human colony there one day? I think not.

Not too dissimilar to many of Earth's deserts and the deserts shortly to come.
I hear Scrump want new deserts in the US named after him and his "extended" family.

The major flaw in the Guinness record attempt. By any person wearing one black sock and one red sock with a heel 'spud.' Is whether to use oxygen on the first direct ascent of the cliffs of Olympus Mons. ;-)
Old March 23rd 17, 06:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 04:56:23 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

So, where are the Martians?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...c2d09c4238.jpg

Clearly Photoshopped! Fake news!
That number of Martians never attended Scrump's inauguration protest!
There were literally billions of Martians present!
The crowd was captured live by Hubble as a planet-wide, dark cloud, sweeping right across the Red planet! ;-)
Old March 24th 17, 12:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 13:45:12 UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
What it says on the tin:

https://vimeo.com/207076450

Stunning!

Didn't need the music or the fake (by moving the image) "pans" over the scenery. I'd have settled for the photos. But it does occur to me that one way to sell Mars would be as a sports destination, for mountain climbers and such. Of course, they'd have to watch out for dust storms.
Old March 24th 17, 01:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:16:07 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 13:45:12 UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
What it says on the tin:

https://vimeo.com/207076450

Stunning!

Didn't need the music or the fake (by moving the image) "pans" over the scenery. I'd have settled for the photos. But it does occur to me that one way to sell Mars would be as a sports destination, for mountain climbers and such. Of course, they'd have to watch out for dust storms.

I'm not sure a dust storm on Mars poses much risk to someone on the
surface. The dust grains themselves could be abrasive and do some
surface damage to a suit, but otherwise, you'd hardly notice the
fastest winds on Mars, which have less energy than a mild breeze on
Earth.
Old March 24th 17, 02:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 24 March 2017 01:13:18 UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:

I'm not sure a dust storm on Mars poses much risk to someone on the
surface. The dust grains themselves could be abrasive and do some
surface damage to a suit, but otherwise, you'd hardly notice the
fastest winds on Mars, which have less energy than a mild breeze on
Earth.

That's an interesting point.

Conversely, the slightest breeze on Venus is equivalent to a hurricane on Earth.
Old March 24th 17, 02:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 06:17:28 -0700 (PDT), "Chris.B"
wrote:

On Friday, 24 March 2017 01:13:18 UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:

I'm not sure a dust storm on Mars poses much risk to someone on the
surface. The dust grains themselves could be abrasive and do some
surface damage to a suit, but otherwise, you'd hardly notice the
fastest winds on Mars, which have less energy than a mild breeze on
Earth.

That's an interesting point.

Conversely, the slightest breeze on Venus is equivalent to a hurricane on Earth.

Although you'd probably not be worrying about the force of the wind so
much as the fact that it consisted of 800° sulfuric acid!