First Scope Questions

Old August 22nd 12, 08:10 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Bob[_11_]

Default First Scope Questions

Hello,

Sr. Citizen now, but would like, very much, to get Grandson interested
in hobby.

Picking out his first scope (reflector of some sort) will of course be a
joint project, but haven't really looked at scopes in quite a while.
So, am busy educating myself.

a. My prime question is:

I guess Meade, Celestron, and Orion are still the major players in the
amateur area of $ 2,500 or so.

Is this true ?

Is their a consensus as to how these brands rank ?

Any quality ranking for these brands that is generally accepted, or is
it now a scope-by-scope quality ranking in that certain scopes from
brand A are better quality than similar brand B scopes, while some from
B may be better than A, etc. ?

b. Are they all in this price range made in China now, or...?
Thoughts on ?

c. Assuming one of the computer controlled mounts, do most "amateurs"
get for their first, although "good" scope an alt-az or eq. mounting ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old August 23rd 12, 06:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Richard[_7_]

Bob,
I have a 12 year old Meade ETX 125 that works flawlessly, a 1982
Celestron C8 that I finally mounted on a Meade LXD55 computerized mount 8
years ago and now, also being recently retired, a Celestron 14" SCT with an
Orion EON 80 mm for a guide scope in a roll-off roof observatory.
Both company's have their faults and their pluses. I personally believe
you can't go wrong with either one. That being said, if you are computer
savvy, the Meade system works well for your own or someone else's
personalized tours. The stock tours are great, but after you have been
through them a hundred times, it gets repetitive, to say the least. My
Celestron is optically perfect, it looks fantastic and it works flawlessly.
Again,
being familiar with computers will enhance your viewing selections.
As you know, adding computerization adds complexity which adds room for
failure.
Spend as much as you can afford. An 8" SCT is light weight, easy to
setup, provides great views and will provide a lifetime of joy. I know, I've
used mine for 30 years. If you can afford it, that's my choice.
NOTE: I have a preference for equatorial mounts, whereas my best friend
prefers Alt/Az mounts, it's a personal choice.
Look at the reviews in Cloudy Nights: http://www.cloudynights.com and
Yahoo has groups for every type of telescope known to man.
If you have any questions, just ask.
Richard