Why is NASA lying to the public?

Old July 23rd 04, 01:14 AM
Mad Scientist

The images on the webs site are the RAW images, what don't you
comprehend about that? Your answer below demonstrates that you really
don't know anything about color imaging. White appears white regardless
of what planet your on.

Jay Windley wrote:

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
t.cable.rogers.com...

| Your answer: you are a conspiracy nut. LOL My answer:
| you need new glasses. Put your pink shades away and look again.

No, my answer is still that you don't understand wavelengths and filters.
You discuss only filters. What about wavelengths? Would you consider the
spectrum of light in the lab equivalent to the spectrum of sunlight on Mars?

Old July 23rd 04, 02:49 AM
Fred Garvin

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:34:13 +0000, Mad Scientist wrote:

Why is NASA lying to the public about the true colours of the Martian
landscape and sky? They call themselves 'scientists' and yet even a kid
in elementary school can see that they are lying about the colours.

http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsindx.htm
http://www.enterprisemission.com/

Troll. A bad one at that.

Old July 23rd 04, 02:51 AM
Fred Garvin

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:34:13 +0000, Mad Scientist wrote:

Why is NASA lying to the public about the true colours of the Martian
landscape and sky? They call themselves 'scientists' and yet even a kid
in elementary school can see that they are lying about the colours.

I'd like to thank the parents and teachers of the world for doing such a
great job with the children....

Old July 23rd 04, 06:15 AM
Jay Windley

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

| The images on the webs site are the RAW images, what don't you
| comprehend about that?

The question is what *you* don't comprehend.

| Your answer below demonstrates that you really don't know anything
| about color imaging.

Really. I used to teach it to college freshman back when I was a grad
student. You originally appealed to the elementary school level of
understanding. Now you're trying to claim the intellectual high ground.
Please make up your mind.

| White appears white regardless of what planet your on.

Um, no. Take a white card and shine red light on it. Take a picture of it.
What color will the card look like in the photo? Now take the same card and
shine a blue light on it and photograph it. What color with the card look
like in the photo?

I'll give you a hint. Neither answer is "white".

Sunlight seen from Earth's surface tends toward blue. Your eyes
automatically adjust for it, but film does not. And neither does digital
imaging. When we formulate film for sunlight, we "fix" it to correct away
from blue and toward the orange so that things don't come out blue. If you
go inside under incandescent light, that's orange. Again, your eyes adjust,
but you don't necessarily notice. But film does; if you photograph under
incandescent with "daylight" film, it comes out *very* orange, not only
because the light is orange but because your film is biased in that
direction. And fluorescent light is green. But again your eyes don't
notice but film does.

Go buy a camcorder and then read the instruction book under the section
labelled "white balance". Then answer the question again: what could
possibly be different about the wavelengths of light in a laboratory as
opposed to the Martian surface? Then explain why *uncorrected* photographs
taken under those circumstances, without filters, using the same equipment,
of the same subject, might look different.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Old July 23rd 04, 07:32 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message
.rogers.com, Mad
Scientist writes
The images on the webs site are the RAW images, what don't you
comprehend about that? Your answer below demonstrates that you really
don't know anything about color imaging. White appears white
regardless of what planet your on.

_You_ are the one who doesn't know anything about colour imaging, and if
you think white appears white under a red light you should get out more.
Jay may have the time to argue with you - I don't.
Plonk.
--
What have they got to hide? Release the full Beagle 2 report.
Old July 24th 04, 02:20 AM
Mad Scientist

Fred Garvin wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:34:13 +0000, Mad Scientist wrote:

Why is NASA lying to the public about the true colours of the Martian
landscape and sky? They call themselves 'scientists' and yet even a kid
in elementary school can see that they are lying about the colours.

http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsindx.htm
http://www.enterprisemission.com/

Troll. A bad one at that.

I guess not just white appears pink on the Martian surface, but so does
the color blue, yellow and grey all appear pink when on Mars. Maybe we
should all move to Mars, and let 'light wavelengths and filters' solve
our racial problems for us. LOL

http://www.enterprisemission.com/ima...t/mercolor.jpg

Old July 24th 04, 02:20 AM
Mad Scientist

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

In message
.rogers.com, Mad
Scientist writes

Old July 24th 04, 02:52 AM
Mad Scientist

According to the NASA the images taken with various filters, and
released to the publis are as 'accurate as possible'. In the first
public news conference, presenters can seen and in then background on
the video projection, the Martian landscape with a blue sky! Every
other image released by NASA shows Mars with a red or dusty orange sky.
Why the discrepency? Because they are lying! Plain and simple.

Jay Windley wrote:

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

| The images on the webs site are the RAW images, what don't you
| comprehend about that?

The question is what *you* don't comprehend.

| Your answer below demonstrates that you really don't know anything
| about color imaging.

Really. I used to teach it to college freshman back when I was a grad
student. You originally appealed to the elementary school level of
understanding. Now you're trying to claim the intellectual high ground.
Please make up your mind.

| White appears white regardless of what planet your on.

Um, no. Take a white card and shine red light on it. Take a picture of it.
What color will the card look like in the photo? Now take the same card and
shine a blue light on it and photograph it. What color with the card look
like in the photo?

I'll give you a hint. Neither answer is "white".

Sunlight seen from Earth's surface tends toward blue. Your eyes
automatically adjust for it, but film does not. And neither does digital
imaging. When we formulate film for sunlight, we "fix" it to correct away
from blue and toward the orange so that things don't come out blue. If you
go inside under incandescent light, that's orange. Again, your eyes adjust,
but you don't necessarily notice. But film does; if you photograph under
incandescent with "daylight" film, it comes out *very* orange, not only
because the light is orange but because your film is biased in that
direction. And fluorescent light is green. But again your eyes don't
notice but film does.

Go buy a camcorder and then read the instruction book under the section
labelled "white balance". Then answer the question again: what could
possibly be different about the wavelengths of light in a laboratory as
opposed to the Martian surface? Then explain why *uncorrected* photographs
taken under those circumstances, without filters, using the same equipment,
of the same subject, might look different.

http://www.empire.net/~danp/Web_Files/Mars.htm
http://www.enterprisemission.com/ima...t/mercolor.jpg
http://www.enterprisemission.com/spirit2.htm (this one shows the blue
Martian sky ...that the above idiot says shouldn't be there)

Old July 24th 04, 03:34 AM
Jay Windley

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
. rogers.com...

| Why the discrepency? Because they are lying! Plain and simple.

Everything is "plain and simple" to the person who does not want to be
bothered with important details like wavelengths.

Obviously your attempt to claim to be some great expert in digital imaging
has fallen flat, so now you're back to the "any schoolkid can see this"
approach.

Thank you for playing.

*Plonk*

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

NASA is coming along just fine now. Cardman Policy 2 July 8th 04 07:33 PM
Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 07:05 PM
Space Access Update #102 2/9/04 Henry Vanderbilt Policy 1 February 10th 04 03:18 PM
NASA Selects Explorer Mission Proposals For Feasibility Studies Ron Baalke Science 0 November 4th 03 10:14 PM
NASA Testing K9 Rover In Granite Quarry For Future Missions Ron Baalke Technology 0 October 31st 03 04:45 PM