So, where I was last week....

Old June 30th 09, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default So, where I was last week....

Ok, a further clue:

I was in the heartland.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
news
I've mentioned elsewhere I believe that I teach cave rescue techniques.
Once a year the organization I'm with does a week long training seminar.

What's that got to do with ssh you may ask?

Let's just say the area I was in has lots of karst and was home to three
astronauts, one of whom has an airport named after them.

I'll let others figure out exactly where that is.

(Oh and drove by the airport too.)

Old June 30th 09, 06:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Jun 30, 10:00*am, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:
Ok, a further clue:

I was in the heartland.

John Mellencamp's house? Setting up for Farm-Aid 2009?

Old June 30th 09, 08:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
Ok, a further clue:

I was in the heartland.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in
message news
I've mentioned elsewhere I believe that I teach cave rescue techniques.
Once a year the organization I'm with does a week long training seminar.

What's that got to do with ssh you may ask?

Let's just say the area I was in has lots of karst and was home to three
astronauts, one of whom has an airport named after them.

I'll let others figure out exactly where that is.

(Oh and drove by the airport too.)

Indiana?

karst = Karst is a special type of landscape that is formed by the
dissolution of soluble rocks, including limestone and dolomite.

Grissom Air Reserve Base (formerly Grissom Air Force Base) was named after
Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom.

Indiana has had more than three astronauts though:

Joseph Allen -- Born in Crawfordsville, DePauw '59. On first four-man
shuttle crew. Missions: 1982, '85
Dominic Antonelli -- Raised in Indiana before moving to North Carolina.
Selected as a pilot by NASA in 2000 and is performing technical duties
awaiting assignment to a space flight.
Frank Borman -- Born in Gary. Commanded the Apollo 8 mission that was first
to circle the moon. Missions: 1965, '68
Kenneth Bowersox -- Grew up in Bedford. Missions: 1992, '93, '95, '97, 02
Anthony England -- Born in Indianapolis. Missions: 1985
Kevin Ford -- Montpelier, Ind.; Notre Dame '82; awaiting first space flight
assignment
Michael T. Good -- Notre Dame '84; awaiting first space flght assignment
Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom -- The Mitchell, Ind., native was the second
American to fly in space but was killed in the Apollo 1 fire in 1967.
Missions: 1961,'65
James Wetherbee -- Notre Dame '74. In '95, was on first joint United
States-Russia mission. Missions: 1990, '92, '95, '97, 2001

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old July 1st 09, 04:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

Indiana?

We have a winner, though didn't quite narrow it down to the town, but close
enough, details below.

The actual town I was in was Bedford itself (and that's the specific area I
was thinking of, not the entire state. :-)

Two astronauts supposedly were from (or spent time in) in Bedford, Bowersox
of course was one of them. I'm drawing a blank on the 2nd.

And Grissom of course was the next town over. And it was the airport that I
drove by.

And yes, there is a lot of caves in that area due to all the karst. Some
really great caves.

And while there, unfortunately I had really lousy access. I had to use my
cell modem and was getting 1RxTT speeds, but really crappy ones at that.

And to top it off, someone knocked my laptop off the desk and broke a corner
and a USB port. Finally time to replace it I think.

Old July 1st 09, 05:32 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

We have a winner, though didn't quite narrow it down to the town, but
close enough, details below.

The actual town I was in was Bedford itself (and that's the specific
area I was thinking of, not the entire state. :-)

Seriously this time, does going into a cave environment sound safe?
Considering that entire species of invertebrates and vertebrates have
evolved to live in this particular environment, why does any spelunker
feel safe considering what forms of fungi and bacteria may have also
evolved there also?
IIRC, there is at least one cave that has a potentially dangerous form
of bacteria living in it that should not be inhaled, requiring the use
of breathing gear during the entire stay in the cave.
And what the Hell was the "White Nose Syndrome" about?

Pat
Old July 1st 09, 03:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

We have a winner, though didn't quite narrow it down to the town, but
close enough, details below.

The actual town I was in was Bedford itself (and that's the specific area
I was thinking of, not the entire state. :-)

Seriously this time, does going into a cave environment sound safe?
Considering that entire species of invertebrates and vertebrates have
evolved to live in this particular environment, why does any spelunker
feel safe considering what forms of fungi and bacteria may have also
evolved there also?
IIRC, there is at least one cave that has a potentially dangerous form of
bacteria living in it that should not be inhaled, requiring the use of
breathing gear during the entire stay in the cave.
And what the Hell was the "White Nose Syndrome" about?

The caves in Bedford Indiana aren't terribly dangerous. I've been through
one of them when I was in high school. Naturally it's good to be with a
"trained" spelunker on such a trip and have the right equipment and watch
the weather... That said, Boy Scout groups go through Indiana caves "all
the time" and the Boy Scouts of America has become rather paranoid on the
activities they allow or don't allow. They have an entire book on the
subject called The Guide to Safe Scouting.

Jeff

Old July 1st 09, 10:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

[...]

I assumed Pat was being his usual self with the question. But yes, caving
in general is fairly safe.

I'm the co-Captain of my cave team. The last time my time was called out
was I believe about 2-3 years ago.

Other parts of the country are a tad busier.

The reality is, the bulk of the people we train will most likely never be
called out to a formal rescue.

Now, there's one place of caves I'd like to go that I doubt I'll ever get
the chance. They're lava tubes. But not the ones in Hawaii, but the ones
about 250,000 miles "that away....."

That would be quite the trip.

Sorta like cave diving in terms of air limits, but unlike it in many other
ways. Would be different, that's for sure.

Old July 2nd 09, 02:12 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 17:10:22 -0400, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Now, there's one place of caves I'd like to go that I doubt I'll ever get
the chance. They're lava tubes. But not the ones in Hawaii, but the
ones
about 250,000 miles "that away....."

Have you been to the ones in Lava Tubes National Monument?

I have not. One of these days I should.

That would be quite the trip.

While getting to the NM isn't as easy as some other places, it's a lot
easier than the ones you mention.

True, but we do these things not because they're easy, but because they're
difficult.

Or something like that.

."
Mary "I've been to the NM"

Old July 2nd 09, 06:36 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Now, there's one place of caves I'd like to go that I doubt I'll ever
get the chance. They're lava tubes. But not the ones in Hawaii, but
the ones about 250,000 miles "that away....."

That would be quite the trip.

Sorta like cave diving in terms of air limits, but unlike it in many
other ways. Would be different, that's for sure.

Yeah, it would really be fascinating to see the interior of the lunar
lava tubes, especially since the low gravity would mean they could be
very large in diameter without collapsing.
As far as dangerous microorganisms living in caves:
http://blog.showcaves.com/?p=45
http://www.showcaves.com/english/usa...aikanaloa.html
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene... %99s_microbes

Pat