RFI: Parasail kit for the Revell Gemini?

Old November 6th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

Default RFI: Parasail kit for the Revell Gemini?

....Has anyone ever seen a decent resin or other media conversion kit
for the Revell Gemini that allows it to be converted into the aborted
parasail landing mode? IIRC, the very early releases of the kit -
first thru third pressings - included the landing skis, but not the
parasail. One of my OMBloggers asked about this in e-mail, and it hit
me that I've never seen that sort of conversion kit available. One
could probably build one easily out of brass tubing and silk in a
scratchbuild, but I'm still surprised I havn't seen a kit before now.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old November 7th 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...Has anyone ever seen a decent resin or other media conversion kit
for the Revell Gemini that allows it to be converted into the aborted
parasail landing mode? IIRC, the very early releases of the kit -
first thru third pressings - included the landing skis, but not the
parasail. One of my OMBloggers asked about this in e-mail, and it hit
me that I've never seen that sort of conversion kit available. One
could probably build one easily out of brass tubing and silk in a
scratchbuild, but I'm still surprised I havn't seen a kit before now.

IIRC, the Revell 1/48 scale Mercury/Gemini version came with a coupon in
the earliest release versions that let you order a vacuformed parasail
for it... in fact, I have a way-back memory of when my older brother got
the kit right after it was released, and the vacuformed parasail was
included in the stock kit.
It would certainly be easy to do for the 1/48 scale version as a
vacuform, and would be really striking in the 1/24th scale version with
a added landing gear and body correction kit.
Sounds right up Realspace Models' alley.
Would make a great diorama with the Gemini's rear skids hitting the
ground in a cloud of dust as it touches down on the Edward's lakebed.

Pat

Old November 7th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

OM writes:

...Has anyone ever seen a decent resin or other media conversion kit
for the Revell Gemini that allows it to be converted into the aborted
parasail landing mode? IIRC, the very early releases of the kit -
first thru third pressings - included the landing skis, but not the
parasail. One of my OMBloggers asked about this in e-mail, and it hit
me that I've never seen that sort of conversion kit available. One
could probably build one easily out of brass tubing and silk in a
scratchbuild, but I'm still surprised I havn't seen a kit before now.

It's been a while since I last built the kit, or any kit, but
doesn't the Revell Mercury-Gemini kit reissued in the 90s include the
parts to build the landing skids for parasail Gemini? I'm fairly sure
I used to show that off to people visiting my office. It didn't have
the parasail, of course, but that seemed like it should be constructible
given a pattern and a few pieces of the right material. (Vinyl sheets,
maybe?)

I haven't yet built, or even opened, my 1/24 Gemini kits, so
I don't know what they come with.

--
Joseph Nebus
Old November 7th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Joseph Nebus wrote:

It's been a while since I last built the kit, or any kit, but
doesn't the Revell Mercury-Gemini kit reissued in the 90s include the
parts to build the landing skids for parasail Gemini?

Yeah, all the 1/48th scale kits since day one have those, as the parts
are included right on the main parts tree for the Gemini... so it really
wasn't worth the effort of re-doing the whole parts tree just to save a
small amount of plastic.
OM thought that the 1/24th scale version also had the landing gear parts
originally... and I thought that he was wrong...but the more I think
about it, I think he's right about that.
In that case the model did get redesigned to eliminate the landing gear
and lower doors that it extended through.

Pat
Old November 9th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
Doc Smartass

Pat Flannery wrote in
dakotatelephone:

Joseph Nebus wrote:

It's been a while since I last built the kit, or any kit, but
doesn't the Revell Mercury-Gemini kit reissued in the 90s include the
parts to build the landing skids for parasail Gemini?

Yeah, all the 1/48th scale kits since day one have those, as the parts
are included right on the main parts tree for the Gemini... so it

really
wasn't worth the effort of re-doing the whole parts tree just to save a
small amount of plastic.
OM thought that the 1/24th scale version also had the landing gear

parts
originally... and I thought that he was wrong...but the more I think
about it, I think he's right about that.
In that case the model did get redesigned to eliminate the landing gear
and lower doors that it extended through.

I've got the 1982 "History Makers" 1/24 re-issue; I haven't opened the
parts bag yet, but from what I can see of the hull sections and parts
trees, it doesn't have any skids or doors.

Is this pic even close to correct?

http://www.friends-partners.org/part...b/biglandg.jpg

--
Doc Smartass
Old November 9th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Doc Smartass wrote:
I've got the 1982 "History Makers" 1/24 re-issue; I haven't opened the
parts bag yet, but from what I can see of the hull sections and parts
trees, it doesn't have any skids or doors.

We think that the kit got re-designed at some point after the parasail
landing option got ditched by NASA.

Is this pic even close to correct?

http://www.friends-partners.org/part...b/biglandg.jpg

That was a variant of Big Gemini... a Gemini enlarged to carry more crew
or cargo and launched atop a Titan III or Saturn I.
There's artwork of a standard Gemini landing under its parasail he
http://www.spaceinminiature.com/ref/...allo_side.JPEG
And the test vehicle for the system; "El Kabong":
http://www.aviation-news.co.uk/media/March-Para-05.jpg
http://web.mac.com/jimgerard/AFGAS/p...ini/TTV-2.html
It was some rough landings with El Kabong that convinced NASA not to use
the system.

Pat
Old November 7th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

OM thought that the 1/24th scale version also had the landing gear parts
originally... and I thought that he was wrong...but the more I think
about it, I think he's right about that.

...Patrick, when I built the kit the first time back in late '66, I
honestly recall the nosegear and the skids. I chunked the parts in the
scrap box because I didn't build that version, and if I still had the
parts I'd scan them for future reference.

The more I thought about it, I can remember my older brother having
those parts, and that they were very well molded indeed, particularly
the gridwork inside of the skids.
I'm frankly surprised I didn't remember this before.. is this the one
that had the vacuformed parasail included in the kit?

Pat