PizzaGram from Hawaii

Old October 17th 03, 08:09 PM
Starlord

Default PizzaGram from Hawaii

Subject: PizzaGram - October 25, 2003 Star Party

Greetings Fellow Stargazer,

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states: There is a universal
tendency toward chaos and disorder. Entropy is tending toward a
maximum.

http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~reardonf/M...tropychaos.htm

Sorry, but we can't stay out of the cosmic entropy war, and it seems
to be a downhill battle. No matter how much energy we put into the
good fight, we lose more than we win. We are always in the red.
There's no breaking even. It's a law of diminishing returns.
HOWEVER... at September's Star Party, I was given new hope for the
future and the fight against entropy! What was that hope? Well, I
met three different groups of youth that totally impressed (not
depressed as the news does) me. There are some great kids out there
in the cosmos and perhaps they can do the impossible and make the
world a better place and reverse entropy someday and while they are
at it, figure out how to go faster than the speed of light. It could
happen.

The first group of teenagers I met, was from the Sacred Hearts
Academy. Great kids with some great questions! The second group
that wandered over to my little pizza filled corner of the universe
was from a Black Gospel Youth Group. They also had some great
questions and one person from that group won the most satellites
spotted contest. The last group were six college teens from BYU
(including two fellow Eagle Scouts) who brought forth ideas and
questions to a higher cosmic level. So yes, chaos and confusion in
the world may seem to be greatly on the rise, but that night, I was
most impressed that there are some youth on this third planet from
the sun that are shooting for the stars. Also, I found out that they
all loved pizza as well I do... so the future is looking better every
day!!!

So speaking of things red, it's now over a month since Mars peaked in
brightness, but the red planet is still brilliant. So get some pizza
and bring it to this month's Star Party and lets reduce both chaos,
entropy and pizza.
Dillingham Airfield - before sunset (6:22 pm)
(Star Party Directions are at the end of this message)
Bring:
http://bishopmuseum.org/planetarium/...0/oct03web.jpg

Here is where I go to check the weather on a Star Party Night:
http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/latest.../si.phmo.shtml

If it is clear, you will be able to see many astronomical sights.
It's now that time of year to see the Mars, Hercules Globular
Cluster, the Summer Triangle, the Ring Nebula as well as many other
heavenly sights!

If you won't be in Hawaii, fear not. Check this link for a Star
Party near you!

http://SkyandTelescope.com/resources/organizations/
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If you miss this month's HAS Star Party then join us at the next:

***** 2003 *****
November 15th
December 13th

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
October Orionid Meteor Shower

Peak of Orionid Meteor Shower will occur the night of October 21-22.
Early morning observers may see as many as a dozen shooting stars
per hour. Debris left over by the famous Halley's Comet is
responsible for this annual shower. The late crescent moon on the
early hours of October 22 rises just before 3 AM and should not be a
major interference, so viewing conditions should be good for this
shower.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Bubbles in Pizza and Bubbles in a Milky Way

A whole lotta nothin' surrounds our solar system. It's more than
four light-years to the nearest star system, and a couple of
light-years farther to the next one. And even the space BETWEEN the
stars in our part of the Milky Way galaxy is more "nothin'" than
average. An exploding star cleared out a big "bubble" of space around
us, so there's a lot less gas and dust than you'll find in most other
regions of the galaxy. In fact, our little region of the Milky Way
is riddled with bubbles and tubes and chimneys -- all of them swept
pretty clean by exploding stars or other powerful events.

Our solar system sits fairly close to the middle of what's called the
Local Bubble. A French and American team of astronomers found that
the nearest edge of the bubble is at least 175 light-years away. On
average, the gas inside the Local Bubble is less than one percent as
dense as in the regions around the Bubble. But the gas is extremely
hot, indicating that it was "charged up" by a powerful event -- like
an exploding star.

The "top" of the bubble burst as it reached the edge of the Milky
Way's disk. Hot gas flows out of this hole like smoke from a chimney.
As the gas rises it cools, then falls back onto the disk. The
astronomers hope to use two orbiting observatories to map our region
of the galaxy in even better detail. They may find even more bubbles,
and learn more about how the Local Bubble was created.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Chaos Theory and Some Laws of Thermodynamics

The total energy in the universe is constant
The total entropy in the universe is always increasing

Most people like the first rule. It makes sense. Matter is neither
created nor destroyed; what I had yesterday, I will have tomorrow.
If I lose weight by cutting out pizza and go on a diet, someone else
will gain it ;-)

But most people don't like the second rule, entropy is increasing. It
means that over time the usable energy in a system must decrease,
that complete disorder is the end result of any closed system. It
means that in trillions of years, the universe will expand, diffuse
to its outer limits and freeze. Randomness over time destroys
everything.

Life seems to be the ultimate insult to randomness. It is unthinkable
that fantastically complicated, intricate and amazing nature is.
People see themselves as minions of the first rule of thermodynamics
while fighting the second rule. We harness the energy around us to
beat down chaos and decay.

But, life is tool of entropy. Living things take trapped chemical
energy and rapidly convert it to heat energy which they shed, in the
process increasing the entropy of their surroundings. Life's frantic
movements on the skin of our planet only serves to increase the rate
of resource flow across our planet. The insane naked ape, the human,
finds every locked up store of energy it can and unlocks it as fast
as possible, increasing the entropy of our universe. And why? To
build fantastically organized and structured systems. The giant
cities; the cubical-homes; the glop-foods; all for the 25 billion
souls that need water and air and heat and food. The more complicated
the system, the more inclined it is to fall apart because of the
tendency towards entropy , so the more work it takes to maintain. The
more work something takes to maintain, the more energy needs to be
expended. And every time energy is unlocked and used for work, some
of that energy is necessarily released as entropy -- randomness and
heat. We are all walking paradoxes, a frantic species that fights
entropy only to increase entropy!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Cosmic Factoids and Questions

-Can Human Brain move faster than the Cosmic Entropy, which is
embedded, enveloped & evolved in the Cosmic Memory?

- One of the greatest scientific challenges is the search for a
unification theory of general relativity and quantum theory.
Interestingly, studies into this problem typically uncover issues
relating to information theory - such as the issues of apparent black
hole information loss, the holographic principle and cosmic entropy
generation.

-The Zodiac is so-named for the 'zoo' of constellations-animals like
the Scorpion and Taurus the Bull-that lie along this path.

The First Law of Thermodynamics is very simple and important but
pretty dull: Energy can neither created or destroyed. You can just
change it from one form to another, for example, electricity to heat,
heat that will boil water and make steam, hot steam to push a piston
(mechanical energy) or rotate a turbine that makes electricity that
in turn can be changed to light in a light bulb or to sound in an
audio speaker system, and so forth.

-The very word "planet" comes from the Greek word for "wanderer."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Some October Messier Objects to See this Month

M24
This "object" is actually a section of the Milky Way in Sagittarius. It
is easily seen with the naked eye as a fuzzy, oval patch about four times
the size of the full moon. The best views are through binoculars or rich
field telescopes.

M25
Just east of M24 in Sagittarius we find this open cluster. Visible to the
naked eye, M25 lies in the same binocular field as M24. In binoculars it
appears as a partially resolved star cluster buried in faint nebulosity.
A view through a telescope shows the nebulosity is in fact many faint
stars that are not resolved in small instruments.

M18
This is a small open cluster just north of M24 in Sagittarius. In
binoculars M18 is easy to see as a small fuzzy patch of light in the same
field of view as M24. Telescopes reveal this cluster for what it is, a
small, sparse collection of fairly bright stars.

M17
Just north of M18 and in the same binocular field as M24 and M18 lies the
Omega nebula. Possible to see with the naked eye and easy with
binoculars, this nebula appears as a small faint patch of fuzz. A
telescope will show the unique V shape nebulosity that gives the cluster
its name. The shape reminds me of a swan with two bright stars that power
the cluster embedded in the head and neck of the swan.

M16
Continuing north of M17 we find another nebula in Serpens. To the naked
eye and binoculars, this small patch of haze is very similar in
appearance to M17 which is in the same binocular field of view. Through a
telescope the M16 looks like a sparse open cluster of stars surrounded by
faint wisps of smoke.

M26
Continuing to head north through the Milky Way we find this open cluster
in the constellation Scutum. This is a difficult object to find in
binoculars, but possible as a faint patch of fuzz. Telescopes partially
resolve this cluster and show several stars buried in a faint glow from
the unresolved stars.

M11
Just north of M26 in Scutum lies the Wild Duck Cluster. Possible to see
with the naked eye, binoculars show a small faint patch surrounding a
bright star. Telescopes resolve many of the stars in this very rich
cluster.

M55
Dipping back into Sagittarius we find two more globular clusters waiting
for us. The first is one of the brightest and largest globulars in the
catalog. Possible to see naked eye, it is an easy binocular object
appearing as a bright fuzzy ball of light. Telescopes show a round patch
of light bright in the center and fading toward the edges. Large
apertures are needed to resolve this globular.

M75
The last object of the month, and the last object to be visited in
Sagittarius. In binoculars, M75 is not too hard to see, look for a small
fuzzy star. A telescope will show a small fuzz ball with a bright center.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The Wanderers (The Planets) this Month

Mercury is disappearing into the glare of sunrise.

Venus is very low in the western sky at sunset for all of October.
Throughout October, Venus emerges from the twilight at around 6:30 PM
and sets by 7 PM. So if you want to find this brilliant planet in
October, you've got about 30 minutes to do it each night! Look for
the early crescent moon to the left of Venus on October 27. If
viewing conditions are just right, you may be lucky and catch a
really early crescent moon very close to Venus on the evening of
October 26, but it's going to been a really slender slip of a moon!

Mars is in the southeast sky at sunset during October. The red
planet fades dramatically by the end of the month to minus 1.17
magnitude-now outshone by the planet Jupiter and the brightest star,
Sirius. Look for Mars about halfway up in the southeast at dusk. It
sets in the west around 3 a.m. Look for the waxing gibbous moon near
Mars on the nights of October 5 and 6.

Jupiter is in the constellation of Leo the Lion. In early October,
the planet rises in the east around 3 a.m. and is high in the
eastern sky by dawn. On the evening of October 11/12, Jupiter
regains it usual position as the fourth brightest object in the sky.
Mars had usurped that honor for the last few months; but on the
night of October 11/12, Mars has faded to minus 1.76, and Jupiter
shines at minus 1.77.

Saturn rises in the east around midnight. Use the two brightest stars
in Orion (Rigel in his knee, Betelgeuse in his shoulder) to point
directly at Saturn. if you draw line from blue Rigel to reddish
Betelgeuse, and keep going in the same direction, you'll come to
Saturn.

Uranus and Neptune (magnitudes 5.8 and 7.9 in Aquarius and
Capricornus, respectively) are in the south after dark. Uranus is
just a few degrees from Mars.

Pluto (magnitude 14, in Ophiuchus) is disappearing into the sunset.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Annual Meteor Showers

Quadrantids: January
Virginids: March/April
Lyrids: April
Scorpiids: May
Delta Aquarids: July
Perseids August
Piscids: September
Orionids: October
Leonids: November
Geminids: December

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Find what is moving overhead after sunset:
http://www.bester.com/
http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/RealTim.../JTrack3d.html

Check out when the next Iridium Satellite is available for you to
see:
http://www.heavens-above.com/Neighbo...PlaceID=593409
(for non Oahu Star Gazers...)
http://www.heavens-above.com/selectt...p?CountryID=US

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Check out:
http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/12months/m-oct-i.html

and bring the above list...

As for the rest of the Messiers, check out
http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky/messier.html It also has a link to:

http://www.hawastsoc.org/messier/index.html
(all the Messier Objects as photographed by HAS's local Jay Wrathall)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Star Party Directions
(http://www.hawastsoc.org/directions/dillingham.html)

To reach the Dillingham observing site, take the H2 to the end at
Schofield Barracks. Drive past Schofield and follow the signs to
Waialua. At the Y intersection at Waialua, bear left and pass under
the bridge. Drive out of town a few miles until you reach Dillingham
Airfield. Dillingham is several miles long. It has three gates. You
need to drive to the far end to the third gate (marked as Gate 1 on
the color map). When you enter the gate, the road will curve left
behind some hangars. It will then take you through a very sharp S
curve. 1/4 mile beyond that is a stop sign in the middle of nowhere.
Turn right at the stop sign, and you will be there. You can find me
by looking for the big red telescope in the corner with a table with
lots of pizza on it.

You will need to reach the site before sunset in order to find the
gate open!!!

A few words on light. We try to maintain dark conditions at the site.
Therefore we have certain rules about light. First, no white
flashlights. The only flashlights that you should use are not too
bright, red ones.

When entering and exiting the site, do not use headlights. Some cars
now can't turn off their headlights. If you have a car like that
please park nearer the windsock then the telescopes. Point it away
from the telescopes. Headlights make you lose your night vision for
up to 30 minutes. It immediately ruins any astro photography that
might be in progress.

Bring some warm clothes, something to sit on, some real powerful bug
spray, a dim or red covered flashlight and some munches to share with
your friends.

Remember there is an absolute need to remain clear of the runway, and
anyone attending the star party needs to remain in the immediate star
party area. Do not be wandering around in areas where we are not
permitted. Especially near any planes (parked or moving)!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Bishop Museum Planetarium Happenings
Bishop Museum planetarium will be renovated in June!

Daily Planetarium schedule:
(808) 848-4136 for pre-recorded sky information and planetarium
schedule.

11:30 a.m. Explorers of the International Space Station (45 Minutes)

12:15 p.m. Explorers of Polynesia (in Japanese , 35 Minutes)
1:00 p.m. Red Planet Mars (in English , 40 Minutes)
3:30 p.m. Explorers of Polynesia (45 Minutes)

³The Sky Tonight,² an hour-long sky talk with Sam Rhoads, occurs on
the first Monday, at 7:00 PM. Reservations are necessary, since Samıs
shows often fill. $4 for adults, $3 for kids, free to Bishop Museum
members and Hawaiian Astronomical Society members. Reservations for
³The Sky Tonight²: 848-4168.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

AFTER DARK * IN THE PARK AT WAIKELE COMMUNITY PARK

Saturday Evenings (Weather permitting):

***** 2003 *****
November 1st
November 29th
December 27th

FROM DUSK to 9:30 PM
Bring your children! Tell your friends!

HAS volunteers will set up telescopes to show you the Moon, any
planets and whatever else is available. What to bring: Lawn
Chairs, light snacks. What NOT to bring: Alcoholic beverages,
white lights.

Don't forget that if you are on the other side of the island on
those nights you can join Barry and his group at:

Kahala Park Star Parties

***** 2003 *****
November 1st
November 29th
December 27th
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Visit the cosmos via:

The HAS HomePage: http://www.hawastsoc.org/ or go to
(or show up at meeting 7:30pm first Tue of month)
and check out the Bishop Museum Planetarium Home Page
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/planetarium/
and the Institute for Astronomy Colloquia/Seminars
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/
Hawaii in Space: http://apollo-society.org/launchpad39_A.html
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Keep Looking SkyWard...gww

http://homepage.mac.com/macyoda/PhotoAlbum6.html
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"The computer is to the mind as the amplifier is to sound."
Paul Maurer
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

---

Old October 17th 03, 10:47 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Starlord
writes

Greetings Fellow Stargazer,

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states: There is a universal
tendency toward chaos and disorder. Entropy is tending toward a
maximum.

http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~reardonf/M...tropychaos.htm

Lots of interesting stuff snipped.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Chaos Theory and Some Laws of Thermodynamics

The total energy in the universe is constant
The total entropy in the universe is always increasing

Most people like the first rule. It makes sense. Matter is neither
created nor destroyed; what I had yesterday, I will have tomorrow.
If I lose weight by cutting out pizza and go on a diet, someone else
will gain it ;-)

But most people don't like the second rule, entropy is increasing. It
means that over time the usable energy in a system must decrease,
that complete disorder is the end result of any closed system. It
means that in trillions of years, the universe will expand, diffuse
to its outer limits and freeze. Randomness over time destroys
everything.

I don't like it, but it makes sense. But is the first rule certain? For
instance, suppose the universe is infinite. The energy in it is
constant, but it's also infinite!
And even if it isn't infinite, it's expanding. There's supposed to be
something called vacuum energy. Is the amount per unit volume decreasing
with time?
--
"It is written in mathematical language"

PizzaGram starlord Amateur Astronomy 0 July 8th 04 03:55 PM
PizzaGram Starlord Amateur Astronomy 0 May 17th 04 08:05 PM
The Hawaii Moon Declaration (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 1 December 11th 03 11:02 PM
PizzaGram from Hawaii Starlord Amateur Astronomy 0 October 17th 03 05:21 PM