Comet"s Tail

Old September 28th 03, 02:59 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Comet"s Tail

Seems to me comets tails can tell us a lot about our solar system. We
know the EM energy of the sun can move these tails. The tails must have
the density of a vapor,such as steam. Much of this vapor has to be lost
to space. The solid body of the comet could be dry ice,and ammonia
continually giving added vapor to the tail. Seems the faster the comet
is moving the longer the tail??? What comet holds the speed record? Is
Haley the largest comet? Can the Hubble see a comet that is at a
distance as far out as Jupiter? Do comets spin? Do comets get
noticeably smaller? Bert

Old September 28th 03, 05:05 PM
Ron Miller

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Seems to me comets tails can tell us a lot about our solar system. We
know the EM energy of the sun can move these tails. The tails must have
the density of a vapor,such as steam. Much of this vapor has to be lost
to space. The solid body of the comet could be dry ice,and ammonia
continually giving added vapor to the tail. Seems the faster the comet
is moving the longer the tail???

No---the speed of the comet in its orbit has nothing to do with the length
of its tail.

What comet holds the speed record?

The speed of a comet depends entirely on its distance from the sun, which
changes constantly as it orbits. It travels fastest when closest to the sun
and more slowly the further away it gets. The comets that approach most
closely to the sun travel fastest at perihelion.

Is Haley the largest comet?

No.

Can the Hubble see a comet that is at a
distance as far out as Jupiter?

I believe so.

Do comets spin?

Apparently the motion of the nucleus can be quite erratic.

Do comets get
noticeably smaller?

Sure.

RM

Old September 29th 03, 07:06 AM
David Knisely

(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote in message ...

Bert posted:

We
know the EM energy of the sun can move these tails.

The solar wind is actually a major factor in creating and directing
the plasma tails of comets.

The tails must have
the density of a vapor,such as steam.

The density is far lower than that of steam. The tails come in two
types, plasma tails and dust tails.

The solid body of the comet could be dry ice,and ammonia
continually giving added vapor to the tail.

The solid body is mostly water ice, dust, and a few rocky fragments
(ie: a "big dirty snowball"). Dry ice may also be present.

Seems the faster the comet
is moving the longer the tail???

No, the closer the comet is to the sun the longer the tail tends to
be. Tail length also depends a bit on how much volatile material and
fine dust is present in the nucleus of the comet, as more of this will
tend to make the outer tail more substantial and thus more easily
seen.

What comet holds the speed record? Is
Haley the largest comet?

Comets which come in on nearly a direct collision course to hit the
sun probably hold the speed record (just before they vaporize). Comet
Halley (note the spelling) is not the largest comet by any means.

Can the Hubble see a comet that is at a
distance as far out as Jupiter?

It can detect some large comets well beyond the orbit of Jupiter, as
can some large Earth-based telescopes.

Do comets spin?

Most do, although the rotation rate varies widely from comet to comet.

Do comets get
noticeably smaller?

Yes, they do. Some even disintegrate completely into a fine shower of
dust and rocky fragments, while others merely go inactive after most
of their volatile material is exhausted.

David Knisely

Prairie Astronomy Club:
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org

Old September 29th 03, 10:59 AM
onegod

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message

The tails must have the density of a vapor,such as steam.

Initially it would probably be combination of crumble and evaporation. It
is partially probably like tiny nche once in a while.

Much of this vapor has to be lost to space.

Not sure, but part of it will become part of outer part of solar system.

The solid body of the comet could be dry ice,and ammonia
continually giving added vapor to the tail.

Seems the faster the comet is moving the longer the tail???

Probabl, but it is more to do with fact that faster means comet is closer to
sun....

Do comets spin?

I would call it tumble... Basically EVERYTHING has to spin... some might
spin at once per million year or what ever.

Do comets get noticeably smaller?

It is probably not noticable, but always can calculate or perhaps measurably
smaller. Comet probably takes around life time to return and even if you
see it again, you cant trust your memory.

Old September 29th 03, 03:47 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Without the tail we would think of comets as meteors. We now know comets
have a different material structure. The energy of the sun proves that
to us. Could be that Pluto is a large comet,but without such a longated
orbit. Still it could not change places with Mercury,for if it did it
would boil away. Possibly a comet the size of Pluto hit the Earth,and
gave our Earth its water,and Moon. I can live with the water part of
the theory. Objects that pass through planets orbits can be a hazard
over a long period of time. Bert

Old September 30th 03, 10:55 AM
Bill C.

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Possibly a comet the size of Pluto hit the Earth,and
gave our Earth its water,and Moon. I can live with the water part of
the theory.

Are you saying the Moon may not be the result of a collision, or just not a
collision with a meteor-type of body? Asking this as an amateur just
reading the news clippings.

Bill C.