Wat does a telescope cost?

Old January 14th 04, 03:04 PM
Passero

Default Wat does a telescope cost?

I'm new to astronomy and i'm very interested in it but i don't have a
telescope. I do look at the sky and try to find most of the constalaions but
that's it. I would like to have a telescope so i would see more of the sky,
perhaps even planets and there moons, some nebula's, open clusters...
I don't have a very large budget so i don't need the best of the best. What
would a telescope cost so i could see some of the things i said?

Old January 14th 04, 03:23 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Passero" wrote in message
I'm new to astronomy and i'm very interested in it but i don't have a
telescope. I do look at the sky and try to find most of the constalaions

but
that's it. I would like to have a telescope so i would see more of the

sky,
perhaps even planets and there moons, some nebula's, open clusters...
I don't have a very large budget so i don't need the best of the best.

What
would a telescope cost so i could see some of the things i said?

Have a look at:
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/
This is a very good overview, of many of the 'pitfalls' to catch the unwary.
Beyond this, there are a series of 'adages' that apply:
1) Aperture wins. A bigger telescope, will see more (unless it is crap).
2) Better a smaller telescope that is used, than a large one that is left
indoors...
The 'balance point', between these, and budget, I would suggest falls at
about an 8" scope. For instance, the Hardin optical 8" Dobsonian, will see
more than probably anything else at the price:
http://www.hardinoptical.com/dsh8.html
The rest then really does come down to budget. If the dsh8, is too much
money, look at the equivalent 6" model. If you feel that you 'must' have
computerised controls, then the budget has to grow, and something like the
Celestron Nexstar 8i, is a very good scope. If you are thinking of possibly
doing photography, then the importance of the mount, rises massively, and
the budget would have to increase to match...
Scopes much smaller than perhaps 6" reflectors, and 4" refractors, can see a
suprising amount, _but_ the good examples (especially of the latter), are
very expensive. Small 'cheap' scopes, are rarely worth much more than the
cardboard they are packed in.

Best Wishes

Old January 14th 04, 03:29 PM
Starlord

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Passero" wrote in message
I'm new to astronomy and i'm very interested in it but i don't have a
telescope. I do look at the sky and try to find most of the constalaions but
that's it. I would like to have a telescope so i would see more of the sky,
perhaps even planets and there moons, some nebula's, open clusters...
I don't have a very large budget so i don't need the best of the best. What
would a telescope cost so i could see some of the things i said?

---

Old January 14th 04, 03:49 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Passero" wrote in message
I'm new to astronomy and i'm very interested in it but i don't have a
telescope. I do look at the sky and try to find most of the constalaions

but
that's it. I would like to have a telescope so i would see more of the

sky,
perhaps even planets and there moons, some nebula's, open clusters...
I don't have a very large budget so i don't need the best of the best.

What
would a telescope cost so i could see some of the things i said?

You can make a very good start for perhaps 300 euros. Or you can spend an
almost infinite amount of money.

I'm not too familiar with what's available in Europe, but in the United
States, some good beginner telescopes are available from www.telescope.com.

Do you have binoculars? If not, I recommend good binoculars (8x40 or
larger) as a first step.