Ares static test fire today

Old September 10th 09, 05:53 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Patty Winter[_2_]

Default Ares static test fire today

This will please some of you and start others frothing
at the mouth, but NASA will be doing a "Demonstration
Motor Static Test Fire" of Ares today at noon EDT. It
will be carried on NASA's Education Channel, which I
don't think is carried on home cable or satellite systems,
but is available on NASA's website.

Patty

Old September 10th 09, 05:56 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Patty Winter

In article ,
Patty Winter wrote:
This will please some of you and start others frothing
at the mouth, but NASA will be doing a "Demonstration
Motor Static Test Fire" of Ares today at noon EDT.

Sorry, meant to say "noon PDT" or "3:00 p.m. EDT"!
I converted the NASA website information to my time
zone but then accidentally typed the abbreviation for
the original zone.

Patty

Old September 10th 09, 09:27 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Strange choice of channel.. maybe its educational when it breaks the
vibration sensors.

I can to some extent understand the design of the heavy lift vehicle, but
why are they really going on with this launcher for humans when there are so
amany vehicles able to already do the job?

I never did understand it.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old September 11th 09, 05:07 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Bob Haller

On Sep 10, 4:27�pm, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Strange choice of channel.. maybe its educational when it �breaks the
vibration sensors.

I can to some extent understand the design of the heavy lift vehicle, but
why are they really going on with this launcher for humans when there are so
amany vehicles able to already do the job?

I never did understand it.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!"Patty Winter" wrote in message

This will please some of you and start others frothing
at the mouth, but NASA will be doing a "Demonstration
Motor Static Test Fire" of Ares today at noon EDT. It
will be carried on NASA's Education Channel, which I
don't think is carried on home cable or satellite systems,
but is available on NASA's website.

Patty- Hide quoted text -

I HOPE the engine detonates in a fireball and destroys the test stand.

it would add another nail in the coffin of this **** poor design
Old September 11th 09, 10:32 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Well apparently it did not do as you say below.

I wonder when we will hear what did happen?

To me, making a kind of organ pipe engine, should not surprise when it
produces a gradually lowering frequency of resonance.

They appear to be trying to stop it by changing the internal design of the
surfaces which burn. If you listen to the sound on the last Shuttle booster
video its obvious the whole thing sounds like a high tech drain pipe.

How many centuries ago did the Chinese invent the solid fuelled rocket? fast
development at its best.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested bolting the five segment unit on a
shuttle to make it have a higher orbit capability by now.

Brian

Email:

Old September 11th 09, 10:49 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm surprised nobody has suggested bolting the five segment unit on a
shuttle to make it have a higher orbit capability by now.

Why don't they bolt 5 segment SRBs to the Shuttle to allow it to hault
greater loads and/or reach higher orbits ?

(there you go, someone now has suggested it :-)
Old September 11th 09, 12:24 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_301_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
om...

I'm surprised nobody has suggested bolting the five segment unit on a
shuttle to make it have a higher orbit capability by now.

Yeah, this idea occurred to me yesterday while watching the test. We'll see
how long before someone seriously suggests it (since it has been discussed
in the past.)

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old September 11th 09, 02:06 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
om...
I'm surprised nobody has suggested bolting the five segment unit on a
shuttle to make it have a higher orbit capability by now.

This *has* been proposed in the past, just as Shuttle-C and numerous other
shuttle upgrades have been proposed. Google ought to be able to find
something.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old September 11th 09, 02:07 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
om...

I'm surprised nobody has suggested bolting the five segment unit on a
shuttle to make it have a higher orbit capability by now.

Yeah, this idea occurred to me yesterday while watching the test. We'll
see how long before someone seriously suggests it (since it has been
discussed in the past.)

Considering that you'd likely have to change the ET design to handle the
higher loads, don't look for this anytime soon (i.e. it will never happen).

Jeff

Old September 11th 09, 02:18 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_302_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in
message ...
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
om...

I'm surprised nobody has suggested bolting the five segment unit on a
shuttle to make it have a higher orbit capability by now.

Yeah, this idea occurred to me yesterday while watching the test. We'll
see how long before someone seriously suggests it (since it has been
discussed in the past.)

Considering that you'd likely have to change the ET design to handle the
higher loads, don't look for this anytime soon (i.e. it will never
happen).

Jeff

I agree. And the original 5-SRB design was different from this one. If
there was a much longer lifetime expected for the shuttle, it might be worth
it, but under any realistic scenario (fly through 2010/11 or 2015) it's just
not worth it.

SpaceX static test? Joe Strout Policy 11 January 28th 07 04:07 AM
Woo! Another RSRM static test today Scott Lowther History 2 August 17th 05 02:21 PM
Woo! Another RSRM static test today Scott Lowther Policy 2 August 17th 05 02:21 PM
Sacramento SIV-B Static Test Facility Today Rusty History 6 January 13th 05 06:00 PM
Sacramento SIV-B Static Test Facility Today Rusty Policy 2 January 12th 05 10:29 PM