Daily Report #4425 Correction

Old August 14th 07, 01:41 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4425 Correction

Notice: Due to the conversion of some ACS WFC or HRC observations into
WFPC2, or NICMOS observations after the loss of ACS CCD science
capability in January, there may be an occasional discrepancy between
a proposal's listed (and correct) instrument usage and the abstract
that follows it.

DAILY REPORT*** # 4425

PERIOD COVERED: UT August 13, 2007 (DOY 225)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/SBC WFPC2 11175

UV Imaging to Determine the Location of Residual Star Formation in
Galaxies Recently Arrived on the Red Sequence

We have identified a sample of low-redshift {z = 0.04 - 0.10} galaxies
that are candidates for recent arrival on the red sequence. They have
red optical colors indicative of old stellar populations, but blue
UV-optical colors that could indicate the presence of a small quantity
of continuing or very recent star formation. However, their spectra
lack the emission lines that characterize star-forming galaxies. We
propose to use ACS/SBC to obtain high- resolution imaging of the UV
flux in these galaxies, in order to determine the spatial distribution
of the last episode of star formation. WFPC2 imaging will provide B,
V, and I photometry to measure the main stellar light distribution of
the galaxy for comparison with the UV imaging, as well as to measure
color gradients and the distribution of interstellar dust. This
detailed morphological information will allow us to investigate the
hypothesis that these galaxies have recently stopped forming stars and
to compare the observed distribution of the last star formation with
predictions for several different mechanisms that may quench star
formation in galaxies.

WFPC2 11024

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 INTERNAL MONITOR

This calibration proposal is the Cycle 15 routine internal monitor for
WFPC2, to be run weekly to monitor the health of the cameras. A
variety of internal exposures are obtained in order to provide a
monitor of the integrity of the CCD camera electronics in both bays
{both gain 7 and gain 15 -- to test stability of gains and bias
levels}, a test for quantum efficiency in the CCDs, and a monitor for
possible buildup of contaminants on the CCD windows. These also
provide raw data for generating annual super-bias reference files for
the calibration pipeline.

WFPC2 11133

Late-Time Photometry of SN 2005hk: A New Kind of Type Ia Supernova

Our lack of understanding of Type Ia supernova {SN Ia} explosions
limits our confidence in their use for cosmology. While there is broad
agreement that these objects represent the explosions of white dwarfs,
the details of the explosion mechanism are not well- understood.
Recent observations have detected a previously unacknowledged variant
class of SNe Ia whose photometric and spectroscopic peculiarities make
them quite distinct from normal SNe Ia. These objects represent a
challenge for thermonuclear supernova models, as a complete theory of
exploding white dwarfs must allow for their existence. A particularly
well-studied example of this class of objects is the recent SN 2005hk,
whose properties in some respects resemble those of models which
invoke a subsonic burning front, called a deflagration. We propose to
test SN Ia models by obtaining late-time photometry for this extreme
SN Ia using WFPC2 and NICMOS on HST. We will accurately measure the
late-time photometric decline rate and spectral energy distribution
{SED}. These observations will allow us to test whether the ejecta
contain the large amount of oxygen predicted by certain models, the
efficiency of energy deposition by gamma rays and positrons, and
possibly detect major evolution of the SED expected due to a change in
the dominant cooling mechanism of the ejecta.

WFPC2 11023

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 Standard Darks - part 1

This dark calibration program obtains dark frames every week in order
to provide data for the ongoing calibration of the CCD dark current
rate, and to monitor and characterize the evolution of hot pixels.
Over an extended period these data will also provide a monitor of
radiation damage to the CCDs.

WFPC2 11169

Collisions in the Kuiper belt

For most of the 15 year history of observations of Kuiper belt
objects, it has been speculated that impacts must have played a major
role in shaping the physical and chemical characteristics of these
objects, yet little direct evidence of the effects of such impacts has
been seen. The past 18 months, however, have seen an explosion of
major new discoveries giving some of the first insights into the
influence of this critical process. From a diversity of observations
we have been led to the hypotheses that: {1} satellite- forming
impacts must have been common in the Kuiper belt; {2} such impacts led
to significant chemical modification; and {3} the outcomes of these
impacts are sufficiently predictable that we can now find and study
these impact-derived systems by the chemical and physical attributes
of both the satellites and the primaries. If our picture is correct,
we now have in hand for the first time a set of incredibly powerful
tools to study the frequency and outcome of collisions in the outer
solar system. Here we propose three linked projects that would answer
questions critical to the multiple prongs of our hypothesis. In these
projects we will study the chemical effects of collisions through
spectrophotometric observations of collisionally formed satellites and
through the search for additional satellites around primaries with
potential impact signatures, and we will study the physical effects of
impacts through the examination of tidal evolution in proposed impact
systems. The intensive HST program that we propose here will allow us
to fully test our new hypotheses and will provide the ability to
obtain the first extensive insights into outer solar system impact
processes.

WFPC2 11176

Location and the Origin of Short Gamma-Ray Bursts

During the past decade extraordinary progress has been made in
determining the origin of long-duration gamma-ray bursts. It has been
conclusively shown that these objects derive from the deaths of
massive stars. Nonetheless, the origin of their observational cousins,
short-duration gamma-ray bursts {SGRBs} remains a mystery. While SGRBs
are widely thought to result from the inspiral of compact binaries,
this is a conjecture. A number of hosts of SGRBs have been identified,
and have been used by some to argue that SGRBs derive primarily from
an ancient population {~ 5 Gyr}; however, it is not known whether this
conclusion more accurately reflects selection biases or astrophysics.
Here we propose to employ a variant of a technique that we pioneered
and used to great effect in elucidating the origins of long-duration
bursts. We will examine the degree to which SGRB locations trace the
red or blue light of their hosts, and thus old or young stellar
populations. This approach will allow us to study the demographics of
the SGRB population in a manner largely free of the distance dependent
selection effects which have so far bedeviled this field, and should
give direct insight into the age of the SGRB progenitor population.

WFPC2 11178

Probing Solar System History with Orbits, Masses, and Colors of
Transneptunian Binaries

The recent discovery of numerous transneptunian binaries {TNBs} opens
a window into dynamical conditions in the protoplanetary disk where
they formed as well as the history of subsequent events which sculpted
the outer Solar System and emplaced them onto their present day
heliocentric orbits. To date, at least 47 TNBs have been discovered,
but only about a dozen have had their mutual orbits and separate
colors determined, frustrating their use to investigate numerous
important scientific questions. The current shortage of data
especially cripples scientific investigations requiring statistical
comparisons among the ensemble characteristics. We propose to obtain
sufficient astrometry and photometry of 23 TNBs to compute their
mutual orbits and system masses and to determine separate primary and
secondary colors, roughly tripling the sample for which this
information is known, as well as extending it to include systems of
two near-equal size bodies. To make the most efficient possible use of
HST, we will use a Monte Carlo technique to optimally schedule our
observations.

WFPC2 11292

The Ring Plane Crossings of Uranus in 2007

The rings of Uranus turn edge-on to Earth in May and August 2007. In
between, we will have a rare opportunity to see the unlit face of the
rings. With the nine optically thick rings essentially invisible, we
will observe features and phenomena that are normally lost in their
glare. We will use this opportunity to search thoroughly for the
embedded "shepherd" moons long believed to confine the edges of the
rings, setting a mass limit roughly 10 times smaller than that of the
smallest shepherd currently known, Cordelia. We will measure the
vertical thicknesses of the rings and study the faint dust belts only
known to exist from a single Voyager image. We will also study the
colors of the newly-discovered faint, outer rings; recent evidence
suggests that one ring is red and the other blue, implying that each
ring is dominated by a different set of physical processes. We will
employ near- edge-on photometry from 2006 and 2007 to derive the
particle filling factor within the rings, to observe how ring epsilon
responds to the "traffic jam" as particles pass through its narrowest
point, and to test the latest models for preserving eccentricities and
apse alignment within the rings. Moreover, this data set will allow us
to continue monitoring the motions of the inner moons, which have been
found to show possibly chaotic orbital variations; by nearly doubling
the time span of the existing Hubble astrometry, the details of the
variations will become much clearer.

WFPC2 11312

The Local Cluster Substructure Survey {LoCuSS}: Deep Strong Lensing
Observations with WFPC2

LoCuSS is a systematic and detailed investigation of the mass,
substructure, and thermodynamics of 100 X-ray luminous galaxy clusters
at 0.15z0.3. The primary goal is to test our recent suggestion that
this population is dominated by dynamically immature disturbed
clusters, and that the observed mass-temperature relation suffers
strong structural segregation. If confirmed, this would represent a
paradigm shift in our observational understanding of clusters, that
were hitherto believed to be dominated by mature, undisturbed systems.
We propose to complete our successful Cycle 15 program {SNAP:10881}
which prior to premature termination had delivered robust weak-lensing
detections in 17 clusters, and candidate strongly-lensed arcs in 11 of
these 17. These strong and weak lensing signals will give an accurate
measure of the total mass and structure of the dark matter
distribution that we will subsequently compare with X-ray and Sunyaev
Zeldovich Effect observables. The broader applications of our project
include 1} the calibration of mass-temperature and mass-SZE scaling
relations which will be critical for the calibration of proposed dark
energy experiments, and 2} the low redshift baseline study of the
demographics of massive clusters to aid interpretation of future high
redshift {z1} cluster samples. To complete the all-important high
resolution imaging component of our survey, we request deep WFPC2
observations of 20 clusters through the F606W filter, for which
wide-field weak-lensing data are already available from our Subaru
imaging program. The combination of deep WFPC2 and Subaru data for
these 20 clusters will enable us to achieve the science program
approved by the Cycle 15 TAC.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver **** 30*************** 30

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

Correction of correction on quantum gravity foam Jack Sarfatti Astronomy Misc 1 August 2nd 07 01:27 AM
Daily Report # 4341 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 16th 07 05:45 PM
DAILY REPORT #3908 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 25th 05 03:07 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM