why is 6 a magical number?

Old March 9th 04, 09:18 PM
Amirsaman

Default why is 6 a magical number?

well, obviously, Carbon is by far the best possible base for any kind
of life that we could possibly consider. I have heard that the number
6 is a sort of "magical" number and the fact that Carbon has 6 protons
is pretty important to take into account. Also, I have heard about
possibility of life based on Mg, or other substances with an atomic
number of multiples of 6.I just can't see why 6 should be such a
magical number. could you please let me know of chemistry needed for
this?
Old March 10th 04, 12:51 AM
Frederick Shorts

Amirsaman wrote:

well, obviously, Carbon is by far the best possible base for any kind
of life that we could possibly consider. I have heard that the number
6 is a sort of "magical" number and the fact that Carbon has 6 protons
is pretty important to take into account. Also, I have heard about
possibility of life based on Mg, or other substances with an atomic
number of multiples of 6.I just can't see why 6 should be such a
magical number. could you please let me know of chemistry needed for
this?

Its not 6! Its 3 ... and its multiples 6 and 9!

------
Freddie 'fag' Shorts

I'm loud and I'm proud. I'm gay and I like it that way!
I support Gay Pride! The Ramrod rocks!

Wanna hire me for web site development? I'm way under-employed!
Contact me by email ) or mail me at
FS Newssite Inc.
101 West 23rd St. Suite 2237, New York, NY, 10011

Check out my current web sites -
http://www.orwellian.org
http://www.miscstuff.org
http://home.nyc.rr.com/cypherpunk/

Old March 10th 04, 02:45 AM
CLT

If you are willing to do some work, look at carbon and how it can link in
long chains. Then see if you can get anything else to do this in the same
way. If not, what are you going to use to make DNA etc if you don't use
carbon?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?