What if the bedrock we see is partly made of ice?

Old March 1st 04, 12:23 AM
WTF

Default What if the bedrock we see is partly made of ice?

I am not a geologist, so I am asking anyone with knowledge on the topic
if it possible that the bedrock we see in the crater (opportunity site)
is not entirely solid rock, but instead is a mixture of ice, dirt and
rock (permafrost)?

here are some sample images of permafrost as seen on earth, and I find
that some of thee images resemble what we are seeing from the rovers
http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/head...a/permname.jpg
http://www.socc.uwaterloo.ca/_images...permafrost.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/ypdfc
http://www.steinborn.org/gifs/alaska...permafrost.JPG
http://lovelace.ucsd.edu/Ted/Arcticw...0on%20view.jpg

I got the idea from this article
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ce_040229.html

WTF
Old March 1st 04, 03:09 AM
Joe Schmoe

O eat mi WTF,

I have posted so much and you just chew it down, digest it a little, and
spit it up on different newsgroups.

Bedrock?

The Rovers are now "old" and "cranky", and I guess we're left with what
we have as "information".. and cannot ask much else.

I expect the next mission to Mars to be "manned" by CIA/Air Force chops.

No need to have "data intercepts" of "secure infos"...

BTW - I need a lovely true red-head - a little heavy - and with an angel
face - for an email "friendship" - I wish my bankteller was available.

JS

Old March 1st 04, 03:19 AM
Joe Schmoe

Default Bush and Chebey use NASA to design escape Hell Hole

Bush family's and Cheney's want escape hell hole on Mars if aliens are
defeated by humanity:

http://www.space.com/news/bush_plan_faq_040115.html
Old March 1st 04, 05:23 AM
WTF

Default Does it look like the "rock" melted and refroze?

http://tinyurl.com/yqka9
Look at the sides of the cut, it looks like the stuff melted and refroze
from the heat generated by the cutting tool.

See my previous post suggesting we're looking at permafrost instead of
solid rock.

If anyone already suggested this idea (eg Joe Schmoe), let me know if
you got anything to add to support the theory or not.

WTF
Old March 1st 04, 11:02 AM
Joe Knapp

"WTF" wrote in message ...
http://tinyurl.com/yqka9
Look at the sides of the cut, it looks like the stuff melted and refroze
from the heat generated by the cutting tool.

Not sure about that, but you might be interested in this shot of the same
which was colorized in a unique way by Doug Ellison. He used pancam shots of
the RAT hole to give color info for the MI shot. Beautiful!:

http://mer.rlproject.com/index.php?a...pe=post&id=204

Joe

Old March 1st 04, 12:16 PM
marc

"Joe Knapp" wrote in message
.com...

"WTF" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/yqka9
Look at the sides of the cut, it looks like the stuff melted and refroze
from the heat generated by the cutting tool.

Not sure about that, but you might be interested in this shot of the same
which was colorized in a unique way by Doug Ellison. He used pancam shots

of
the RAT hole to give color info for the MI shot. Beautiful!:

http://mer.rlproject.com/index.php?a...pe=post&id=204

Joe

the blueberries are the right colour. nice image tho.

marc.

Old March 1st 04, 12:51 PM
mlm

"Joe Knapp" wrote in news:kLE0c.7431$t16.4822680
@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

http://mer.rlproject.com/index.php?a...pe=post&id=204

This is a very nice image. If you trust the colour as a close
approximation it reinforces the theory that the blue berries formed in a
single event as there are no clear differences in colour across the
cores. The colour is truly unexpected. I still have trouble visualizing
these things as blue as they seem to be. They are so radically different
from the rest of the geologic environment.

One thing just seems inescapable. These blueberries, however they were
formed, are trapped in a sandy matrix. What the sand is made of I don't
know (they've been hopping up and down about sulphur at JPL so perhaps
there was a hot spring nearby at one time). But it is almost certainly
something like sand. The voids are characteristic of cemented sandy
matrices on Earth (for example where ancient beaches used to exist).
This implies water deposition and rock formation by cementation. Water
also may account for the "bubbly" muddy appearance on the outside of the
rock. Perhaps there was wet (probably briny) sand that over time
splashed and layered over the rock then gradually dried out. I'd wager
you could scratch it with a thumbnail.

Mark
Old March 1st 04, 03:40 PM
Carla Schneider

WTF wrote:

I am not a geologist, so I am asking anyone with knowledge on the topic
if it possible that the bedrock we see in the crater (opportunity site)
is not entirely solid rock, but instead is a mixture of ice, dirt and
rock (permafrost)?

If the outcrop contained ice , it would have to be very fresh, because
ice evapourates fast on mars. And fast means weeks , not millenia.
The ice-rock would be covered with fresh powder from the remaining dust.
The alpha X ray spectrometer would show a lot of hydrogen.

--
http://www.geocities.com/carla_sch/index.html
Old March 2nd 04, 04:11 AM
WTF

Joe Knapp wrote:

"WTF" wrote in message ...
http://tinyurl.com/yqka9
Look at the sides of the cut, it looks like the stuff melted and refroze
from the heat generated by the cutting tool.

Not sure about that, but you might be interested in this shot of the same
which was colorized in a unique way by Doug Ellison. He used pancam shots of
the RAT hole to give color info for the MI shot. Beautiful!:

http://mer.rlproject.com/index.php?a...pe=post&id=204

Joe

looks like yummy ice cream!
Old March 2nd 04, 07:54 PM
Carla Schneider

Carla Schneider wrote:

WTF wrote:

I am not a geologist, so I am asking anyone with knowledge on the topic
if it possible that the bedrock we see in the crater (opportunity site)
is not entirely solid rock, but instead is a mixture of ice, dirt and
rock (permafrost)?

If the outcrop contained ice , it would have to be very fresh, because
ice evapourates fast on mars. And fast means weeks , not millenia.
The ice-rock would be covered with fresh powder from the remaining dust.
The alpha X ray spectrometer would show a lot of hydrogen.

Sorry for this - of course an X ray spectromter cannot show hydrogen.

--
http://www.geocities.com/carla_sch/index.html