Landing Tracks

Old August 5th 05, 12:07 AM
SB

Default Landing Tracks

Where are the STS-114 landing tracks?

Old August 5th 05, 12:37 AM
Roger Balettie

"SB" wrote:
Where are the STS-114 landing tracks?

The FDOs on-console won't release them (through the PAO) to the spaceflight
website until a day or two before landing.

When they're available, they'll be he
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/groundtracs/

Roger
--
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer

Old August 5th 05, 06:14 AM
Craig Cocca

SB,

Generally speaking, 114 will track over the Pacific, Central America,
the Gulf of Mexico, and then finally Florida. At least for now, NASA
wants to keep Discovery over as little populated area as possible to
mitigate the risk to the general public should another reentry accident
occur.

Perhaps sometime down the road, NASA will lighten up on their flight
rules, and we'll see a reentry that is widely visible over parts of the
U.S. But for now, you're going to need to be on a boat : )

-Craig

Old August 5th 05, 10:37 PM
Roger Balettie

"Roger Balettie" wrote:
"SB" wrote:
Where are the STS-114 landing tracks?

The FDOs on-console won't release them (through the PAO) to the
spaceflight website until a day or two before landing.

When they're available, they'll be he
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/groundtracs/

I usually don't respond to my own posts... but there are some preliminary
data he
http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/crew/landing.html

Roger

Old August 6th 05, 03:36 AM
rjn

Craig Cocca wrote:

But for now, you're going to need to be on a boat : )

Or a WB-57.

Apparently one or two will be shooting some part of
the re-entry. Unfortunately, the TV schedule at:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/114_schedule.html
seems to suggest that this footage won't be aired live
(and it may well be as shakey and blurry as the WB-57
ascent footage).

--
Regards, Bob Niland