Opportunity spies interesting object (?)

Old May 14th 04, 01:34 AM
Jon Berndt

Default Opportunity spies interesting object (?)

Anyone got a take on what the single, bright object is he

http://www.lyle.org/mars/imagery/ste...37691267-P.jpg

Just another rock?

Jon

Old May 14th 04, 02:31 AM
Dosco Jones

"Jon Berndt" wrote in message
Anyone got a take on what the single, bright object is he

http://www.lyle.org/mars/imagery/ste...37691267-P.jpg

Just another rock?

Jon

Looks like a shiny brussel sprout. I frickin' HATE brussel sprouts.

Old May 14th 04, 02:39 AM
Jon Berndt

Looks like a shiny brussel sprout. I frickin' HATE brussel sprouts.

Actually, I think it looks more like a cauliflower. With the right sun
reflection angle, I think the specular highlight seen in the image might be
more indicative of cauliflower...

Jon

Old May 14th 04, 02:51 AM
Scott M. Kozel

"Jon Berndt" wrote:

Anyone got a take on what the single, bright object is he

http://www.lyle.org/mars/imagery/ste...37691267-P.jpg

Just another rock?

Taj Mahal?
Old May 14th 04, 03:04 AM
Scott M. Kozel

"Jon Berndt" wrote:

Just another rock?

Taj Mahal?

No. Cauliflower. :-P

The last time I recall seeing a specular highlight like that on an object is
was the heatshield from Spirit resting on the edge of that crater. And this
one's just sitting there with nothing else around it for miles. It looks
like there is a bit of disturbed soil to one side, too. It's probably
nothing unusual, but I'd like to see Opportunity shimmy on over there for a
peek.

Probably just a flaw somewhere in the photographic process...

Old May 14th 04, 03:13 AM
Jon Berndt

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message

The last time I recall seeing a specular highlight like that on an

object is
was the heatshield from Spirit resting on the edge of that crater. And

this
one's just sitting there with nothing else around it for miles. It

looks
like there is a bit of disturbed soil to one side, too. It's probably
nothing unusual, but I'd like to see Opportunity shimmy on over there

for a
peek.

Probably just a flaw somewhere in the photographic process...

It's in both left and right images, but, come to think of it, Meridiani is
pretty dark. They could have the gain boosted up a bit. Maybe?

Jon

Old May 14th 04, 03:20 AM
Jon Berndt

"Jon Berndt" wrote in message news:40a42832$0$444

The last time I recall seeing a specular highlight like that on an object

is
was the heatshield from Spirit resting on the edge of that crater. And

this
one's just sitting there with nothing else around it for miles. It looks
like there is a bit of disturbed soil to one side, too. It's probably
nothing unusual, but I'd like to see Opportunity shimmy on over there for

peek.

Jon

Oops. From today's Mars report he
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

"... Remote sensing was also acquired during the two sols, including
panoramic camera images of the heatshield that protected Opportunity during
its toasty trip through the martian atmosphere. The heatshield impacted
approximately 250 meters (about 820 feet) south of Endurance Crater."

Jon

Old May 14th 04, 04:17 AM
Scott M. Kozel

"Jon Berndt" wrote:

"Jon Berndt" wrote in message news:40a42832$0$444

The last time I recall seeing a specular highlight like that on an object is
was the heatshield from Spirit resting on the edge of that crater. And this
one's just sitting there with nothing else around it for miles. It looks
like there is a bit of disturbed soil to one side, too. It's probably
nothing unusual, but I'd like to see Opportunity shimmy on over there for a
peek.

Oops. From today's Mars report he
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

"... Remote sensing was also acquired during the two sols, including
panoramic camera images of the heatshield that protected Opportunity during
its toasty trip through the martian atmosphere. The heatshield impacted
approximately 250 meters (about 820 feet) south of Endurance Crater."

See? A natural explanation! Not a flying saucer...!
Old May 14th 04, 05:09 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message

See? A natural explanation! Not a flying saucer...!

That's not flying, that's falling with style!