The future of electric cars

Old June 18th 16, 01:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default The future of electric cars

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 7:31:11 PM UTC-4, peterson wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:01:19 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 1:40:44 AM UTC-4, da'void wrote:
FredKartoffel:
VW is planning to sell 20% of their vehicles as pure electrics by 2020.
Here is one from their Porsche brand:

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uplo...4b87-b5c0-635e
6befcfa6_teaser_700x395x1_5.jpg

StarDust:
Yes! I need one these road hugging electric cars , starting price $250K to
commute to my plummer's [sic] job!
I'll really going to save lot of money on gas! )o:
LOL!

Get real. If you're a plumber (from plumbum, the Latin name for lead,
which was the only durable metal that was soft enough to be shaped into
pipes in ancient times) you are probably already driving a Bentley and
a Tesla.

Obviously, you are unaware that most plumbers earn modest wages. One might also infer that you think they are overpaid. 0bama certainly does.

Obviously you are unaware when your leg is being pulled.

da'void was only half-joking.
Old June 18th 16, 01:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 8:24:54 PM UTC-4, peterson wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 17:16:30 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 7:27:46 PM UTC-4, peterson wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:06:42 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 9:01:00 AM UTC-4, peterson wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 01:42:41 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote:

I would suggest that the natural rights to life, liberty and property are quite defensible. You?

And yet, you've never come close to managing a defense.

There is no reason to conclude that any human has more or fewer such natural rights as any other, therefore such natural rights are equal rights and must exist.

There is no reason to conclude that natural rights exist outside your
imagination. You've certainly not demonstrated that.

In fact I have demonstrated that they exist. For example, people can speak, and should.

Ah, yes. "Fact." I had forgotten that you don't know what the word
means.

Not up for "engaged discussion," I see.
Old June 18th 16, 01:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 7:30:28 PM UTC-4, peterson wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:53:15 -0700 (PDT), wsnell01 wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 12:24:54 PM UTC-4, critter wrote:
On Friday, 17 June 2016 18:14:49 UTC+2, wsne... wrote:

You are. "Change your location," is advice that I am giving to a known hypocrite... YOU.

Get a life Snelly! Preferably a real one.
One that doesn't involve throwing virtual battery acid at the locals!

If peterson would only move to a city, he could cut his CO2 to levels more in keeping with his misplaced concern about what -others- are doing, or not doing, about AGW.

If I moved to the city, I'd hugely increase my CO2 levels.

No, you would walk to the store, walk your dogs to the vet (or perhaps not even own dogs,) ride the bus to astronomy club meetings, live in a small, energy efficient apartment.

All that
driving to the country to ride and hike and operate my observatory and
to teach.

You won't be doing any of those things. The condition of the climate is far more important that your petty little concerns and you need to be doing your part.

All that dependence on fossil fuels for heating and cooling.

No, small apartments can be quite energy efficient. And who says you can air conditioning; just open the windows and use a fan. Don't feel deprived, you would still be living in better conditions than most of the rest of the world, including Europe. And you would be practicing what you preach for once.
Old June 18th 16, 05:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Saturday, 18 June 2016 15:57:11 UTC+2, Chris L Peterson wrote:

But unlike you, I don't believe in carbon allotments. Nor living in
caves.

Time out!

Allotments are city gardens in the UK. Provided by the local authorities for those inhabitants who wish to grow their own veg but lack the garden space. Perhaps due to apartment/flat dwelling. Nor is the idea unique to the UK.

Many homes are really no different from caves with the exception of having windows, flat screen TVs and much poorer insulation.

Carry on, chaps.
Old June 18th 16, 05:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 09:18:58 -0700 (PDT), "Chris.B"
wrote:

On Saturday, 18 June 2016 15:57:11 UTC+2, Chris L Peterson wrote:

But unlike you, I don't believe in carbon allotments. Nor living in
caves.

Time out!

Allotments are city gardens in the UK. Provided by the local authorities for those inhabitants who wish to grow their own veg but lack the garden space. Perhaps due to apartment/flat dwelling. Nor is the idea unique to the UK.

Would you grow carbon in a carbon allotment?

Many homes are really no different from caves with the exception of having windows, flat screen TVs and much poorer insulation.

Yeah, but Snell would have us live in a cave without the amenities.
Old June 18th 16, 05:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
G.B.Applebaum

wrote:

On Saturday, 18 June 2016 15:57:11 UTC+2, Chris L Peterson wrote:

But unlike you, I don't believe in carbon allotments. Nor living in
caves.

Time out!

Allotments are city gardens in the UK. Provided by the local authorities for those inhabitants who wish to grow their own veg but lack the garden space. Perhaps due to apartment/flat dwelling. Nor is the idea unique to the UK.

Would you grow carbon in a carbon allotment?

Many homes are really no different from caves with the exception of having windows, flat screen TVs and much poorer insulation.

Yeah, but Snell would have us live in a cave without the amenities.

To be fair, I think he means that in order to achieve no more carbon pollution, we all have to give up our high living standards. I believe that is not true, that we can certainly improve things a number of ways and actually increase our standard of living.

For instance, every new home should have solar panels on the roof. This should be part of construction standards the way each home must have indoor plumbing and bathrooms. It used to be in the early part of the last century that bathrooms were not required, and the building trades fought against making them mandatory because of the perceived increase of cost of homes that might make them unaffordable. Eventually it caught on and the result was an increase of living standards and higher employment to boot.

Solar electric should be used to power or help power air conditioning and other home appliances. If excess power is generated, it can be stored in batteries at localized utility stations strategically placed in each neighborhood. It would spur production of solar cells and batteries, which in the end will lower prices for both.
Old June 18th 16, 06:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Chris.B wrote:
On Saturday, 18 June 2016 15:57:11 UTC+2, Chris L Peterson wrote:

But unlike you, I don't believe in carbon allotments. Nor living in
caves.

Time out!

Allotments are city gardens in the UK. Provided by the local authorities
for those inhabitants who wish to grow their own veg but lack the garden
space. Perhaps due to apartment/flat dwelling. Nor is the idea unique to the UK.

Many homes are really no different from caves with the exception of
having windows, flat screen TVs and much poorer insulation.

Carry on, chaps.

Not just cities. My allotment is in a village.

Old June 18th 16, 06:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Many new houses here are built with solar power. An 85 house estate is
being built in my village with solar power on every roof. Excess power is
sold to the national grid.